Thread: 4 Weeks, 12 Range Sessions, 1000 Rounds of 9mm. Help Make a Plan

4 Weeks, 12 Range Sessions, 1000 Rounds of 9mm. Help Make a Plan

With coronavirus hurting my business, I'm being furloughed for a month.

On the bright side, the indoor range is open - 25 yards, holster draw allowed. I dont have a range timer yet. Getting one for my birthday next month

I'm an okay shooter, not fantastic. I go to the range 2 to 3 times a month on average and shoot 50 to 100 rounds per session. Usually slow fire since I dont own a timer.

What kind of 4 week, 12 session, 1000 round plan should I have for the month of April? I know it depends on what I want to work on. I dont know what I dont know. I feel like I passed the point of being competent for self defense. I'm sure I have a lot more training than the 75 or whatever people Tom Givens trained that survived armed encounters and I say that because I assume they took one or two classes and that's it which is to say having a gun and being moderately competent is good enough for most things. I am probably not getting into competition anytime soon and dont really desire it anyway. I guess I just like to get better at something for the sake of getting better at the thing if that makes sense. I have an intrinsic desire to get better at things just for the sake of getting better at them.

I guess I need some level of baseline to measure myself by which may be hard without a timer since it seems like everything is timer based. The range has some automated flipping the target settings that have no instructions and no one there seems to know how to use it. Maybe if I push harder I can find someone who knows or find instructions online if I can figure out the model.

Mostly Ive been trying to do slowfire groups at long distance as a measure of skill improvement because its all I can think to really measure without a timer.

I already do throw in SHO and WHO shooting in every range session but I guess if I said screw it, 1000 rounds, 1 month of WHO shooting only, Id probably improve that significantly in a short period of time!! And I bought the case of ammo for $150 two months ago before the panic lol.

Shooting fast is a very different skill than shooting slow. Probably should focus on speed, since you generally shoot accuracy drills. For twelve sessions you probably need between 2 and 3 thousand rounds. Use dry fire to make gains and use the live fire to keep your dry fire honest.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I guess I need some level of baseline to measure myself by which may be hard without a timer since it seems like everything is timer based.
    Isn't that what the Dot Torture Drill does? Measure how well you can shoot without using time limits or a timer?

(Granted, I have difficulty placing myself in your position. I'm more used to operating with severe restrictions on ammo availability than shooting an entire case of ammo in a month. There may be a better way to measure proficiency if you have ammo to burn.)

Run some baseline tests, figure out what you suck out, work on that in dry fire, then verify with live fire.

Good baseline tests:

Gabe’s tests - Bill drill , 2 body 1 head, immediate incapacitation, 4 body 2 head (split bill)
    FAST
    Finding your Level
    5x5
    And I like 5 yard round up as a quick low round count test.

You’ll probably need to work on concealed draws and reloads a lot which is easy to do at home.

Go to the pitstol-training.com side and read through some of Todd’s old journals. You’ll get a good overview of how to train.

You’ll probably want another case of ammo or two.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List