Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super cool old .38, bit of a mystery. Check this out.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Cool. I've never seen one like that either, but it looks like it should be pretty straightforward for a competent smith to do. Just time consuming.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I secpnd what Olong said. In the 30s time was cheaper to buy and craftsmanship from that era is usually nicely performed, What a fun old revolver! Smoke a Jack for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    One like that shows up every once in a while on the S&W board. I think it is a gunsmith modification for a better sight picture without the extortionate price of $17.50 for a King adjustable.
    Pretty much this. I sold Serious Student a Brazilian 1917 that had been modified with its front sight. These types of sight modifications were popular in times when many local gunsmiths were quite capable craftsman especially with fabrication. I far cry from today’s Glocksmiths. Typical police armorers in large agencies would be considered master gunsmiths today. Many of these guns were used by families for decades and over generations for both protection and putting food on tables and were kept in good working order and modified as needed by many local craftsman.

Great gun, and if that has a well worn worn long action and some visible and effective sights, it should be a great shooter.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    The “pre hammer block” S&W double action revolvers. Were they no more drop safe than a single action of the previous generation?

It HAS a hammer block, but...
    All the S&W Hand Ejectors have rebounding hammers which was considered adequately safe in 1900, better than a quarter cock on a SAA.

The first type of hammer block, the "flag" safety, was introduced in 1914. It was slightly subject to breaking, bending or even getting gummed up by grease. When a "Victory Model" went off when dropped on a ship's deck in WWII, killing a seaman, S&W redesigned it to the type still in use.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It HAS a hammer block, but...
    All the S&W Hand Ejectors have rebounding hammers which was considered adequately safe in 1900, better than a quarter cock on a SAA.

The first type of hammer block, the "flag" safety, was introduced in 1914. It was slightly subject to breaking, bending or even getting gummed up by grease. When a "Victory Model" went off when dropped on a ship's deck in WWII, killing a seaman, S&W redesigned it to the type still in use.

Thank you!

Site Supporter
    Since that's not a gun I would think of for self defense I'd be more than happy to load it with 5 at the range, hunting rabbits, or for a walk in the woods chasing pine cones. And if some goblin wanted to bother me, five rounds in a group like the OP showed would probably dissuade him from any further annoyance. (smile)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It's not an M&P Target, but it does call to me. Time to work over some jackrabbits with it Lost River??
    I picked this up for a buddy, though it does not belong to me, it may end up on a hunt

Site Supporter
    Lost River,

You realize you are starting to annoy those of us who like older S&Ws. (lol)

Dave

User Tag List