Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Wesson Valor makes a comeback

I'm surprised they don't have a 9mm option.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    What changes have they made on the new version?
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    BOLD style front sight (like)
    U-notch rear sight (dislike)
    Trigger (strongly dislike)
    Slide stop (dislike— i loved the old Valor slide stop)
    Recessed slide stop hole (like)
    Grips
    Ambi safety (dislike)
    Magwell (like)

I also believe that they have changed suppliers for their slides and frames.
    Forgot to mention that the top of the slide is serrated, and the RCS are different.

I love my Valor. The duty treat on mine is pretty awesome.

Those sights are a seriously great addition. Mine has knock off heinie straight 8s. I'm not sure if the flat milled top is to my liking... I've never shot a 1911 with that. I have held a DW with it and it was well done.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Forgot to mention that the top of the slide is serrated, and the RCS are different.
    With the exception of the trigger I happen to think the changes are all for the better. I do think the slide release on the old valor sticks out a little too far, but that’s a very personal thing.

The trigger is a head scratcher to me. I don’t hate it and it wouldn’t keep me from getting one when they eventually have them in 9mm, but it’s such a divisive look I’m not sure why they went away from the solid style trigger.

Site Supporter
    I thought I'd necro this thread and ask... has anyone purchased one of the 2020 Valors yet?

I'm curious if the "new" Valor lives up to the discontinued model's reputation.

I'm back to carrying my old school Valor for a while. Aesthetically, I really appreciate the stripped down, no nonsense fighting gun look of the original. I'm ambivalent on the new versions features. I can take or leave the mag well. I've used 1911s with and without them and it's not a big difference for me. The serrations on the top of the slide are strictly for looks, just like the top strap checkering on an S&W M27, or the vent rib barrel on a Colt Python. Any functional claims are just a loose excuse for their inclusion. In realty, they're just a place for crud to accumulate. I prefer a solid trigger to a skeletonized one. However, I suspect the main feature is the straight trigger face rather than the traditional curved, another thing I can take or leave. The sights are still the same so that's good, as I like them. I prefer a single-sided thumb safety on a 1911, but that isn't a deal breaker. Don't have a problem with the old slide stop. The new grips are cool. They didn't add anything I need, but none of the new stuff would keep me from buying the 2.0 version.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm back to carrying my old school Valor for a while. Aesthetically, I really appreciate the stripped down, no nonsense fighting gun look of the original. I'm ambivalent on the new versions features. I can take or leave the mag well. I've used 1911s with and without them and it's not a big difference for me. The serrations on the top of the slide are strictly for looks, just like the top strap checkering on an S&W M27, or the vent rib barrel on a Colt Python. Any functional claims are just a loose excuse for their inclusion. In realty, they're just a place for crud to accumulate. I prefer a solid trigger to a skeletonized one. However, I suspect the main feature is the straight trigger face rather than the traditional curved, another thing I can take or leave. The sights are still the same so that's good, as I like them. I prefer a single-sided thumb safety on a 1911, but that isn't a deal breaker. Don't have a problem with the old slide stop. The new grips are cool. They didn't add anything I need, but none of the new stuff would keep me from buying the 2.0 version.
    If I picked one up I'd likely swap the ambi out for a single side thumb safety and replace the trigger with a solid, medium-length curved Harrison.

With street prices of the Duty Coat version hovering around $2k, it's pretty much a coin flip between the new Valor and a Les Baer UTC for me.

User Tag List