Thread: Frank Smith (S&W revolversmith) passed May 14, 2019

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Frank Smith (S&W revolversmith) passed May 14, 2019

As we are all preparing to mourn (and a few mourning already), I was thinking about the future and looked up LSG, contemplating having some work done. I know Frank was recommended on this site not that long ago. I didn't remember it was as long ago as this time last year. Hadn't seen this here yet.

https://www.thecomanchechief.com/obi...79943a9a2.html

Frank M. Smith III, age 70, passed away at his home surrounded by family on May 14, 2019.

I remember we all talked about it when we lost Denny Reichard the same month. https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...enny-reichard/

Hope we don't lose too many more of the greats this year.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    As we are all preparing to mourn (and a few mourning already), I was thinking about the future and looked up LSG, contemplating having some work done. I know Frank was recommended on this site not that long ago. I didn't remember it was as long ago as this time last year. Hadn't seen this here yet.

https://www.thecomanchechief.com/obi...79943a9a2.html

I remember we all talked about it when we lost Denny Reichard the same month. https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...enny-reichard/

Hope we don't lose too many more of the greats this year.
    I saw the announcement of his death, prolly on the S&W Forum.

He retimed a no-dash Model 15 for me maybe six years ago. He did a great job on it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    He did a lot of work for me over the years. In addition to being a gunsmith, he also was a court bailiff.

Site Supporter
    Frank was quite the character. He ran Lone Star Guns in Richardson, TX, where I started in policing in 1978. He fixed a Model 19 for me that year and I became a regular. He was very busy, but always had a wise word for a young copper. He later moved his shop to Plano, where I remember he had an indoor range that he would let you use. No sound proofing and noisy as the gates of Hell. He was the authorized S&W service center in this part of the US and always had a pile that needed service. He had some serious health challenges and a big fire at the shop and moved to Central Texas to carry on and I lost track of him.

His skill was excellent, particularly with Smiths. I miss him and all those great gunsmiths and skilled armorers of that time.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Whenever I read a post like this I think that "we've lost another small piece of America".

R.I.P.

-Rainman

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The past is a different country.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The past is a different country.
    I don't want to "like" this post, but it's important to acknowledge it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List