Thread: Advice On Small Case/Fast Powder Loading

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Advice On Small Case/Fast Powder Loading

I’ve been on the struggle bus off and on the past year or so to find a shootable load for a 25-20 Marlin. The gun is nearly 125yrs old and its bore has seen its better days. I’ve looked into sleeving, which is certainly doable, but also comes at a price I’m not willing to swallow at this point. A local rural hardware store had some boxes of factory 86gr Winchesters at what I would say was “We never heard of this caliber so we want to sell them” prices. Snapped them up. I’ve tried numerous cast and coated cast lead, but just can’t find the sweet spot. A few months back, Graf’s had 60gr JHPs in stock. I snagged a few boxes to try. Like the cast lead, not too impressive. As a final gasp, I loaded up a few using some H110 data I found. Results below. You see some stringing and non-sensical patterns right up to 9.1gr. Then it’s boom...7/8”. Move a few tenths higher...garbage returns.

So here is the question: Are results like this common when using fast powders in small cases? I guess thinking about it, you can get a shift within a whole grain or two when dealing with cases the size of .308 or even belted magnums. So, a few tenths in a case not much larger than a .22magnum would make sense perhaps. I’m just sitting here wondering if I hit a “node” (as much as one would be in a century+ old gun) or is it a fluke? Unfortunately, reloading supplies not nearby to load another batch up today.

Thoughts?

Name:  CA9E0908-B615-46DA-862A-04BDADB78A53.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by entropy; 01-12-2024 at 02:39 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I have been loading 4.0gr Trail Boss for both 86gr JHP MV@ 1132 and the 110gr cast MV@ 998. Newer Marlin lever gun.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Where did you run across the 86gr JHPs?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I got a 500rd box of Rem 86 from Miday several years ago not sure if they carry them now

Midway had boxes of 500 Rem 86gr couple years ago

User Tag List