Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tool-less adjustable LOP Non-Pistol Grip Shotgun stock?

Might I ASSume you are talking about specifically your shotguns? Maybe more specifically your wife's?

Not tool-less but these are common in target sports:
    https://graco-corp.com/product/575a/

And these are available, but only for Remington:
    https://www.mcssl.com/store/billdavi...stable-stock-3

But to answer your question, AFAIK it is not a thing. If you are asking because your wife might like to try a shorter stock, you can make it shorter and add back spacers if you go too far. If you are asking because a friend or family member might want to try shooting and borrow your gun and you borrow it back for the next station, I dunno of anything out there.

It really was mostly just a “hey, is this really not a thing?” driven by a few different recent point of interest.

It seems like it’s the last step of modularity to convert a game/bird gun to an HD gun and back again. Taking off one mag tube and removing the string, removing a barrel, and reversing the process wouldn’t be much of a hardship for someone like us that only gets to shoot clays once every couple of months.

Secondarily yes, my thinking was towards enabling shooters to share a gun more comfortably on the clays course. Particularly as my daughters get older and may be able to shoot with us.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It really was mostly just a “hey, is this really not a thing?” driven by a few different recent point of interest.
    Yeah, I know there are a lotta game gun things, but they are all going to require a wrench, but maybe cutting a T-handle down to pocket size might be a compromise. Before I was able to swing what all I have now it was frustrating how little stuff there is outside of the traditional.

It seems like it’s the last step of modularity to convert a game/bird gun to an HD gun and back again.
    And you would maintain the familiarity. Unfortunately with your Berettas any accessory is either going to be rare or expensive. But maybe a third A300 cut back, on both ends (we don't need no stinking choke..), might be not that far of a leap when you start pricing Beretta accessories.

Secondarily yes, my thinking was towards enabling shooters to share a gun more comfortably on the clays course. Particularly as my daughters get older and may be able to shoot with us.
    This is the sweet spot for the Remington 1187 20g youth model. Comes with a shorter stock and a 21" threaded choke barrel, and is built on the more narrow receiver, and is priced as an entry level gun. Shorter barrels, (or an extra you could cut down) are cheap, but the 21" would only be an extra 3". Extended tubes and all that stuff is available and cheap. I actually had one of these with plans to do what you propose, switching it from a deer slug gun to a defense gun, before I decided to sell it to fund the 1301 I never bought. I still have the sidesaddle I won't be using if you would want it.

Nobody wants a 20g defense gun, but they make buck loads (maybe 3") and I do not think it would terrible. Might even be able to buy one of the guns AND some ammo these days.

n the short term, simply being able to shorten up the stock if the kids want to give shooting a clay a try, would be a quicker route than running back to the clubhouse to rent a 20ga (if they even have one that day) or buying a dedicated gun for them. The a300 shoots so soft I'm not terribly worried about the 12ga recoil for a couple of shells.

Generally I find that when a thing doesn't exist (like a threaded 20" barreled Winchester M70 featherweight with barrel-mounted iron sights) there's a reason and I should probably just let it go. This is probably one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Yea...you’d think that someone would come up with something say 12” LOP and just have spacers to add to suit. It’s not rocket science.
    The Magpul SGA is pretty close...well okay, it technically is a 12.5" LOP, but that is to the end of the recoil pad. A thinner pad or no pad could conceivably get you to 11.5".

It isn't tool-less for the adjustments, but there is sufficient friction that one could easily remove the set screw and set it aside and adjust length by adding/subtracting the spacers while shooting and then lock it down when the right length was found. The additional adjustable comb height makes it that much better. If Magpul offered a spacer kit with different thickness of spacers, instead of the 1/2" spacers, it would be nigh perfect.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I just suggested 1/4-inch spacers to Magpul through the web contact form. Wouldn't hurt anything if a few others did as well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Magpul SGA is pretty close...well okay, it technically is a 12.5" LOP, but that is to the end of the recoil pad. A thinner pad or no pad could conceivably get you to 11.5".

It isn't tool-less for the adjustments, but there is sufficient friction that one could easily remove the set screw and set it aside and adjust length by adding/subtracting the spacers while shooting and then lock it down when the right length was found. The additional adjustable comb height makes it that much better. If Magpul offered a spacer kit with different thickness of spacers, instead of the 1/2" spacers, it would be nigh perfect.
    The Magpul 10/22 pad is thinner and fits where the factory Magpul SGA pad mounts. After my last shotgun class I acquired the 10/22 pad to reduce my LOP further so the gun would handle weak-side shooting easier. The firmer pad also doesn't compress like the spongy SGA pad, reducing gun movement.

Agree on the comment about friction reducing need for the set screw for clay games field adjustments. It's not going to fall apart.

Chris

User Tag List