Thread: Engraved Tranter .577 revolver - possibly the ultimate "Barbecue Gun"

Engraved Tranter .577 revolver - possibly the ultimate "Barbecue Gun"

A current auction item described by our favorite gun hipster. Model 1868 Tranter in .577 Boxer, with best quality 3/4 engraving.
    I have handled a variation on this pistol with a 3" barrel back in the early 90s. Lord, I wanted it. It was not to be. Even then, it cost more than my current car.

The comments on the video are astonishingly good. my favorite so far:

"I know what perplexes you; did he discharge the replete quintuple of cartridges, or merely quadruple? Well, in the interest of verisimilitude, in all the hullabaloo we did misplace our account. Notwithstanding this being the .577 Tranter, the most efficacious handgun in the world, posessed as it were of the capacity to cleave head cleanly from nape, one is compelled to singularly but earnestly enquire in introspection: does luck inform my inclination? Well, does it, catamite?"
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

"I know what perplexes you; did he discharge the replete quintuple of cartridges, or merely quadruple? Well, in the interest of verisimilitude, in all the hullabaloo we did misplace our account. Notwithstanding this being the .577 Tranter, the most efficacious handgun in the world, posessed as it were of the capacity to cleave head cleanly from nape, one is compelled to singularly but earnestly enquire in introspection: does luck inform my inclination? Well, does it, catamite?"
    This... is just so excellent, in every way.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This... is just so excellent, in every way.

Just so. Can you hear it in the voice of Patrick Burgin, Robert Shaw, or even Geoffrey Holder?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just so. Can you hear it in the voice of Patrick Burgin, Robert Shaw, or even Geoffrey Holder?
    I would surrender serious coin of the realm to witness such worthies uttering the aforementioned phrasing.

Ha! I just watched Dirty Harry a couple of nights ago, gotta love "on demand", this had me howling. BTW, why did we like that movie so much, it was really pretty bad . The scene the above came from was really the best part of the whole movie. Later.

Dave

To give a size comparison, here is a .577 Tranter cartridge (technically .577 Boxer) next to a .45 ACP FMJ cartridge:

Name:  cartridge-e1385772558497.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  14.9 KB

It's a pretty hefty round!

Hamilton Bowen got as close as possible by modifying a modern gun.
    http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news..._Big_Bores.pdf

He didn't say whether the feds let him keep his DD, but he certainly could not sell you one.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List