Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAO...

You need a Beretta 92 because reasons.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    SIG P250 comes to mind. They use the same mags a the P320, so that wouldn't be an issue. You could also look at some of the First Gen. S&W semi-autos. 3953 and 3954 to start with. These guns usually go for $300-$400.00 on the used market. S&W made DAOs in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP IIRC. People who like them seem to really like them.
    FWIW, the S&Ws you mentioned are third, not first, generation models.

I've got a PX4 D that I sent to LTT for a trigger job and it's nice, but not as nice as a K frame. If I had to carry a DAO I'd be happy with it.

Duke: There's you, and there's the world. Time to learn the difference.

---

Dave: You're looking for a bit of a unicorn. MattyD380 mentioned the Kahr; there's also SCCY's offerings. There isn't anything out there I'm aware of that is as ubiquitous, proven and has the support as the 92 and its variants. Patiently hunting for the much sought after factory DAO 92 is one option; otherwise I'd contact Ernest Langdon and see if he'd convert and tune an FS or G model you send him.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Ruger P series is not hard to find. Or a 3rd gen smith. Beretta 92D should be at the top of the list though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    It's what I want, so why should you care? No one's making you get one, or even asking your opinion of the platform, so what have you added to this thread? By your "logic", we should all toss our revolvers in the ocean .

Regardless, it's become a bit of a moot point, guys. Turns out converting my SIG is simply a matter of replacing the hammer and removing the decocker, total of about $30 and 30 minutes of my time. And if it turns out I don't like it, it's easy to reverse, can't ask for much more than that. Only problem is now I need to come up with a different excuse to buy something new to me . Later.

Dave
    Original post “...something like a 92D”

My post “remove sear spring from any 92 it’ll be a DAO”

Pretty logical.

Site Supporter
    Just an FYI, if you ever do get a true 92D, there's no need for a TJIAB or trigger job of any type. It isn't going to help it, it will already have a phenomenal DA trigger, and of course it'll already have the D spring.

I own several 92D and 96D's, and they are all equipped with excellent, excellent triggers. The only thing you feel is an ever-so-slight stacking at the very end of the stroke when the firing pin block raises, and I've never handled a 90 series with or without trigger job that didn't have that issue.

A 90 series D trigger is very much like the triggers I have in various (old) S&W K- and N-frames when it comes to smoothness. You'd be amazed at what taking the sear out of the equation does to the quality of the DA trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yea or we could just all Stop being so weird about thinking DAO is good thing and move on to platforms That are easier to shoot well.

And before anyone gets all poopy pantsed - I can make 100m hits and splits cards strong hand only DA so it isn’t like I never got skilled with them. In 2020 though I’m like why would one still want this.
    Well, not DAOs generally but one major case for the 92D in particular is lack of safety levers on the slide. Carrying appendix and getting pinched between safety and holster really friggin hurts and I'm not even that fat.

gun looked cool and was fun to shoot as well wish I never sold it :'(
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Maybe it's different with the D models, but I'll say that I don't like the DA on DA/SA Berettas as much as my Sigs and Smith 3rd gens. I think it might be the over travel? It's been discussed before on PF. Whatever it is, I really struggle to keep the sights from bouncing off target when the hammer falls. With my P239, 6904, etc. the sight hardly moves when the DA breaks. I recently ran my P239 9mm in a steel match--never missed a DA shot. Much better results compared to my PX4--and my PX4 is better than the 92c I had. Though I think it had that worn trigger bar situation.

My current interest in DAO relates to hand position. I find I need a slight adjustment in grip between DA and SA to feel "right." Maybe it's because I have small hands. Or maybe that's the nature of the beast. But, long story short: if I can hit plates and shoot decent groups with DA... do I really need the SA? At least that's my latest theoretical thinking, born of constant dry firing while working from home the last two weeks.

Interested to see how I like the DAK P239. If the gun ever ships and someone around here is still doing transfers when it does.

I’ll reiterate that a Beretta is your best bet.

That being said, the USP and USP compact can be converted to many configurations including true DAO.

ETA: Just reread you post, missed the metal frame part, sorry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Maybe it's different with the D models, but I'll say that I don't like the DA on DA/SA Berettas as much as my Sigs and Smith 3rd gens. I think it might be the over travel? It's been discussed before on PF. Whatever it is, I really struggle to keep the sights from bouncing off target when the hammer falls. With my P239, 6904, etc. the sight hardly moves when the DA breaks. I recently ran my P239 9mm in a steel match--never missed a DA shot. Much better results compared to my PX4--and my PX4 is better than the 92c I had. Though I think it had that worn trigger bar situation.

My current interest in DAO relates to hand position. I find I need a slight adjustment in grip between DA and SA to feel "right." Maybe it's because I have small hands. Or maybe that's the nature of the beast. But, long story short: if I can hit plates and shoot decent groups with DA... do I really need the SA? At least that's my latest theoretical thinking, born of constant dry firing while working from home the last two weeks.

Interested to see how I like the DAK P239. If the gun ever ships and someone around here is still doing transfers when it does.
    P

Isn’t the 92D pull better than the DA pull on a DA/SA Beretta?

The P220, P226 and CZ P-07 are the easiest DA/SA too shoot I’ve found.

User Tag List