Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAO...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    92D is the full size gun, while a Centurion, is a compact size slide, on a full size frame. It draws a little bit quicker. (something like 4.3" verses full size 4.9")
    The full-size is almost as long as a government-model 1911, the Centurion is almost as short as a Commander 1911. IMO, the Centurion is proportioned more like other common service pistols such as the USP and P226.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    S&W 3rd Gen parts are getting harder to source and unlike the Beretta the DAO 3rd Gen trigger pulls aren’t as nice as the DA on the DA/SA equivalent.
    3rd gen DAO trigger pulls probably have more variation than any other gun I have seen. Some of the parts (old, flash-chrome "forged" parts) are unbelievably corn-cob rough, like they were rough blanked and never actually finished. The newest production 5946 I handled was from probably the last run made around 2014, sitting under glass at Cabela's a few years ago. Action parts were MIM, and the press was very smooth.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Additionally, the 92 Series have benefitted from the exceptional expertise lavished on them by Ernest Langdon and Bill Wilson, and collaborative projects between them and Beretta, providing superb cross-pollination, and breathing new life into the 92 Series. And Beretta themselves made several important running upgrades to the 92 throughout its production, improving components like the trigger return spring and locking blocks without compromising or obsoleting the pistol in the process; an earlier production 92F, D or G can easily be provided the upgraded components without any drama.

The 92s are also noted for their exceptional design and manufacturing qualities and standards, and exceptionally viable aftermarket support. Grips and magazines are plentiful, an often overlooked huge plus. And while not as easy as a Glock to detail disassemble (nothing is), disassembly as needed to remove OEM parts and install and benefit from available high quality aftermarket components, with a little attention to detail and YouTube instruction is fairly easily accomplished, as is reassembly.

Best, Jon
    One question comes to mind, Jon. Lots of folks like to trash the US made SIGS, citing QC issues and MIM parts, has there been anything comparable with the US made Berettas? Reason I ask, I've seen both Italian and US made guns available, and was wondering if there's a preference, all else being equal. Thanks again for all the info, I'm thinking seriously that even if the SIG conversion does what I want, I'll still be looking for a 92D . Later.

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not Jon, but...

There's been some embarrassingly bad stuff that got out the door of the Tennessee factory the first couple years there, but I don't think they've even made any D models since the move.

There's a very recent thread about D Centurions, where Jon talks about some rough slide exteriors on "Police Special" 92Ds, but that's a strictly cosmetic issue that's easily evaluated. In general, any D model is likely to be something like 15-25 years old, and probably quite nicely made.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'll give a bit of a nuanced answer. Prior to BUSA's move, historically the Maryland 92 production actually had a lower parts rejection rate than Italy's, although some felt the Italian production finish was a bit nicer. Subsequent to the move, as Olong mentioned and as we've sen on other threads here, it appears that there were some start-up issues in the Tennessee facility, but as I recall they were primarily cosmetic.

All US-produced 92Ds were from the Maryland facility-the move to Tennessee was long after the cessation of 92/96D production; they've been discontinued as an orderable sku since 1998, although there probably were some LEO special orders that were fulfilled after that. I frankly don't know if 92D/96D and Centurion D production was concentrated at Maryland or produced in both Italy and Maryland; my suspicion is that Maryland produced the majority, if not in fact all, as to the best of my knowledge the D action was a US LEO driven option.

In short, if you find a D in decent shape, I'd jump on it, regardless as to which Beretta factory made it; odds are it'll be US-made anyway.

I suspect that Tennessee has revamped their initial shortfall areas, but I can't personally attest to that; perhaps others can comment.

As I think I mentioned earlier, if I got a 92D, I'd immediately change out the trigger return spring, locking block, recoil spring, and probably all magazine springs as minimum proactive preventive maintenance.

Best, Jon

Thanks again, guys, I think that covered it thoroughly and succinctly . Later.

Dave

Happy to have helped-if any further questions come up, feel free to fire away.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Looking for a DAO pistol, not DAK or LEM, more like Beretta 92D. Is there anything else out there that's currently or recently available, doesn't cost a small fortune, and has a hammer and metal frame?
    Going strictly by the above critera, Remington RM380 fits perfectly.

A Bond Bullpup might fit, depending on your definition of a small fortune: its MSRP is $1,099.00.

If you dropped the plastic frame limitation, you'd gain some more, starting with SIG P250 and P290RS. Both were discontinued relatively recently. Both had rare .380 versions as well. Next is Naroh N1. Ruger makes a number of true DAO autos, such as LCP, LCP Custom, and LC9. And last but not least, although KelTec discontinued P11, they still make P32, P3AT, and PF9 -- the one which worked so well for George Zimmerman :-)

Aforementioned Kahr is not a DAO gun, even in steel frame version. It's striker fired, like a Glock, but with a long trigger pull that some people describe as "DAO-like" for some reason.

I am selling a Bond Bullpup for $800+ actual SH, PM me if interested.

If anyone has questions about this highly unusual machine feel free to ask. It certainly is a true DAO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I am selling a Bond Bullpup for $800+ actual SH, PM me if interested.

If anyone has questions about this highly unusual machine feel free to ask. It certainly is a true DAO.
    Nice. I had a Boberg a few years ago. Before Bond took over. I couldn’t shoot DAO worth a damn then, but I’ve often thought it would be a nice shooter now that I know a little bit more about how to pull a trigger.

Can’t afford yours right now, unfortunately. But I think they’re cool guns.

Probably should have been more clear up front, not interested in anything smaller than 9x19 Luger, and have a definite preference for .45 ACP. Also not looking for a compact or smaller, this will most likely be a pretty much strictly a range toy, so full size only. And although I don't hate polymer frames, I do prefer metal, so barring some unbelievable deal falling in my lap, no plastic . But thanks for the suggestions, later.

Dave

User Tag List