Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAO...

Looking for a DAO...

Looking for a DAO pistol, not DAK or LEM, more like Beretta 92D. Is there anything else out there that's currently or recently available, doesn't cost a small fortune, and has a hammer and metal frame? I have a WTB on a couple of other forums for the Beretta, but so far, no joy. If there's something else that fits the bill, I'd sure like to hear about it, thanks.

Dave

Take the sear spring out of any bert 92 and it’s a DAO

Maybe you need to take the sear out too. I forget. I did with a 92G last summer when I thought having a really pointless long trigger pull on a modern gun would be a cool after noon experiment
    Last edited by Duke; 03-29-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    Have you considered Kahr? I picked up a K9 in December and I love it... metal frame, 6ish lb pull and super smooth. I don’t find it a hindrance to accurate shooting at all.

In fact, I’ve become a lot more interested in DAO guns as a result—ended up buying a DAK P239 in .357 Sig. Zero experience with DAK or .357 Sig, but it was the cheapest DAK option I could find. The DAK seems good on paper. Light, smooth, etc. Well see how I like it.

SIG P250 comes to mind. They use the same mags a the P320, so that wouldn't be an issue. You could also look at some of the First Gen. S&W semi-autos. 3953 and 3954 to start with. These guns usually go for $300-$400.00 on the used market. S&W made DAOs in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP IIRC. People who like them seem to really like them.

Used/LEO turn-in 92D/92D Centurions turn up occasionally; there were C and D variants of the PX4, but I'm not sure if they're still available.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    SIG P250 comes to mind. They use the same mags a the P320, so that wouldn't be an issue. You could also look at some of the First Gen. S&W semi-autos. 3953 and 3954 to start with. These guns usually go for $300-$400.00 on the used market. S&W made DAOs in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP IIRC. People who like them seem to really like them.
    I'm under the impression that getting a used P250 requires a bit more knowledgeable discernment that most, as there were apparently 2 generations of the P250; the 1st had, shall we say, some issues; I'm uncertain how to discern between the two.

A 92D is a pretty safe bet (unless it's been incredibly abused, of course). Get one in decent shape, administer a LTT TJIB and you're pretty much good to go.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Take the sear spring out of any bert 92 and it’s a DAO

Maybe you need to take the sear out too. I forget. I did with a 92G last summer when I thought having a really pointless long trigger pull on a modern gun would be a cool after noon experiment
    Someone in the D thread recommended pulling the sear and leaving the spring- it's a bugaboo to replace if you want to go back.

Of course a D spring (or TJIB) is essential.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Someone in the D thread recommended pulling the sear and leaving the spring- it's a bugaboo to replace if you want to go back.

Of course a D spring (or TJIB) is essential.
    Yea or we could just all Stop being so weird about thinking DAO is good thing and move on to platforms That are easier to shoot well.

And before anyone gets all poopy pantsed - I can make 100m hits and splits cards strong hand only DA so it isn’t like I never got skilled with them. In 2020 though I’m like why would one still want this.

Site Supporter
    I’m sure DAO guns will come back into style, when I’m in my 70s.

The P250 is a capable DAO, but it’s Sig and you need to make sure you can get a Gen 2 version. I just don’t like buying guns out of production as my carry piece. The exception would possibly be a 92D.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yea or we could just all Stop being so weird about thinking DAO is good thing and move on to platforms That are easier to shoot well.

And before anyone gets all poopy pantsed - I can make 100m hits and splits cards strong hand only DA so it isn’t like I never got skilled with them. In 2020 though I’m like why would one still want this.
    It's what I want, so why should you care? No one's making you get one, or even asking your opinion of the platform, so what have you added to this thread? By your "logic", we should all toss our revolvers in the ocean .

Regardless, it's become a bit of a moot point, guys. Turns out converting my SIG is simply a matter of replacing the hammer and removing the decocker, total of about $30 and 30 minutes of my time. And if it turns out I don't like it, it's easy to reverse, can't ask for much more than that. Only problem is now I need to come up with a different excuse to buy something new to me . Later.

Dave

User Tag List