Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Looking for a DAO...

Daved20319, that's a fair question. In all honesty, there are certainly others here on p-f with immensely greater knowledge than I regarding Smith & Wesson revolvers, particularly since I've only owned three; a World War II Victory model with a 5" tapered barrel for British use (mine was apparently destined for the Australian Army), chambered in .38 Smith & Wesson (38/200) (NOT .38 Special), a beautiful 4" 586 (chambered in .38 Special, not 357 magnum; reportedly a contract overrun from a Brazilian police order) and an early production 640, with the abbreviated boot grips.

Out of the three, the 586 was by far my favorite-and most comparable to your Smith vs. Ruger question. The blueing on it was magnificent, and the action quite nice; I got it at the time I was heavily competing in steel plate matches, so the .38 Special chambering was quite ideal. It was concurrently owned with my current, and heavily customized blued GP100, which at the time I was running with the OEM full-size Ruger grip.

Frankly, I shot the 586 marginally better, but I preferred the ruggedness of the GP100 as an all-purpose revolver. I left the action of the 586 untouched; frankly, I don't recall making any modifications or changes to it whatsoever. After owning it for a few years, I sold it to a close friend, who significantly modified it for his wife to shoot in ICORE, where she's very successfully using it to this day. Essentially, while it certainly shot nicely, I had decided to concentrate on the GP100 with greater singularity, so good as it was it had become surplus to me, and an attractive distractant-so it went to a home where it would be appreciated and used.

The Victory model was a neat period memento, but best left for that, particularly in it's anemic 38/200 .38 Smith& Wesson chambering. The 640 I kept for only one season; it was a total beast with .357 magnums and the OEM boot grips-uncomfortable at best to fire much more than a cylinder or two. Although I've never experienced, or heard of any breakage issues with them, I was unimpressed with what I perceived as the delicacy of the action components, particularly compared to those n a Ruger. I carried it in a Kramer horsehide ankle holster; hopefully it's current owner is enjoying and appreciating it more than I did.

Action wise, the 586 was smoother, and more tunable if desired to that on a GP100; it approximated the action on my tuned Security Six, but the 586 I had was box-stock so I'm sure it could have been (and was eventually by my friend) significantly further tuned.

Where the Rugers (in my case, GP100 and Security Six) excel is in their overall ruggedness, durability and accuracy-combined with an action that can be smoothed and tuned, albeit not to the degree possible with a comparable Smith & Wesson 19/586/686. I also prefer the Ruger ergonomics, especially those of the cylinder release, grips and sights (Ruger's adjustable rear sights are a bit more protected in the receiver body than are those on S&Ws), and I like that a Ruger cylinder and crane assembly is retained without the use of a screw (which can loosen in use). You can easily field-strip a Ruger if necessary for a more detailed cleaning, where in Smith & Wessons the internals are accessible only through removal of the sideplate.

Ruger GP100s and -Sixs are also noted for the durability of their timing; you simply very rarely hear of one of them going out of time. And while the L frame S&Ws have achieved a good reputation, I think that a GP100 in particular is simply a better choice in the long run for heavy usage of .357 magnum loads, particularly the hotter 125 gr stuff.

Those are my thoughts and experiences comparing the two; I hope it helps.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-03-2020 at 08:51 AM.

It does help, thank you, and it pretty much mirrors what I've heard/read over the years, although in more detail. My research on the 625's has only whetted my appetite for the one I'm bidding on, it's going to be tough sticking to my self-imposed limit if the price keeps climbing . And being a cartridge that I already load for is a big plus, I'm even getting over my antipathy toward moon clips, there are some definite upsides to them that I wasn't aware of. I did look on GB for a Security Six, all they have currently were Service and Speed Sixes, if I went that route, I'd definitely want adjustable sights. So if I were to go with a more modern .38/.357, the GP 100 is probably my first choice. Anyway, thanks again for all your help and info, it's been invaluable. Later.

Dave

Beretta PX4 type C in .45

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    .45 ACP isn't a requirement, guys, just a overall preference. That said, it just so happens that I'm bidding on a 625 right now, a 5" "Model of 1989". I fully expect it to go over what I'm willing/able to pay, but at the moment I'm high bidder. Auction doesn't end until Saturday, so I'm not holding my breath . If that doesn't happen, I'll be shifting my direction a little bit and bid on a succession of K-38's, both 14 and 15 dash somethings. It occurred to me that a .38 Spec. will do everything I want a revolver for, the only advantage to the 625 is that I already load for .45 ACP. The advantage to the K-38's, bid prices are quite a bit lower than the big bore revolvers I've had my eye on. And if none of those fly, there's a Beretta 92D a ways out. So one way or the other, I'll get something "new" . Of course, that means something "old" will need to go to finance it, most likely my CZ 97 BD . Later.

Dave
    I have one of these. It has a nice trigger. It is polymer.

http://blog.beretta.com/the-beretta-px4-type-c

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    I have one of these. It has a nice trigger. It is polymer.

http://blog.beretta.com/the-beretta-px4-type-c
    That's interesting. My CZ's are DA/SA, but decock to the ~1/2 cocked position, so there is a slight but noticeable difference in trigger pull from decocked to hammer fully down. Of course, the only time I actually see the difference is during DA dry fire practice, the rest of the time it's decocked. My SIG is a little different, they use a rebounding hammer, so it starts from the same position for DA regardless.

Not sure I see the advantage, from what I can surmise, this is just another way to skin a cat, like the DAK or LEM triggers. All that said, I actually had a PX 4 on my radar for awhile, but it fell off when I standardized on metal framed guns. Anyway, thanks for another idea, later.

Dave

An update to close out this thread before starting a new one. I won my first Gun Broker auction and will soon be the new owner of a S&W 625-6 .45 ACP revolver, my first revolver in more than 2 decades, and only my second Smith. Really appreciate all the time and thought that went into a lot of the responses in this thread, and am looking forward to being able to reciprocate someday. Later all, and thanks a bunch!

Dave

... All that said, I actually had a PX 4 on my radar for awhile, but it fell off when I standardized on metal framed guns. Anyway, thanks for another idea, later.
    Dave
    I have just a little experience w/ a PX4 compact in 9mm. I generally carry an M&P compact and my wife has a G19. I don't know how it is done, maybe it's just that the PX4 is heavier, but between those three guns the PX4 feels so much more like a metal gun it is almost amazing. I think it would be a good idea to try to find someone who would let you shoot a couple of mags through their PX4 even if it's a DA/SA version.

An update to close out this thread before starting a new one. I won my first Gun Broker auction and will soon be the new owner of a S&W 625-6 .45 ACP revolver, my first revolver in more than 2 decades, and only my second Smith. Really appreciate all the time and thought that went into a lot of the responses in this thread, and am looking forward to being able to reciprocate someday. Later all, and thanks a bunch!

Dave
    Keep us posted on your acquisition-once it arrives and your thoughts on it after you've familiarized and wrung it out a bit.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Keep us posted on your acquisition-once it arrives and your thoughts on it after you've familiarized and wrung it out a bit.

Best, Jon
    You can count on it, Jon, after all the help from you and others, it's the least I can do . Really looking forward to it's arrival, I already got a shipping notification, although I suspect that's simply a label being generated. My local FFL is closed on Mondays, and local is a bit of a misnomer, they're 45 miles away . The seller ships via Priority Mail, so it will probably arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, then another trip after a week or two waiting period. Not that it matters that much, my local range is closed anyway, although living in the boonies does have its advantages, I can shoot out behind my shop if I'm willing to risk the wrath of the wife . Actually, she's a pretty good sport about such things, she won't begrudge me a cylinder or 3 under the circumstances.

Now I need to go get the CZ 97 cleaned up and ready for a photo shoot, I need to get some ads posted ASAP to pay for this thing . Later.

Dave

User Tag List