Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAO...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The .45 Auto "requirement" greatly narrows the field. Off the top of my head...

3rd gen S&W
    P250
    P220 DAK
    USP LEM/DAO
    Some kind of Glock with a NY1/- connector setup (it's kinda DAO-ish)
    Kahr makes a couple

Heck, I'd probably include a Model 25 or 625.

Frankly, nothing else really comes to mind.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The .45 Auto "requirement" greatly narrows the field. Off the top of my head...

3rd gen S&W
    P250
    P220 DAK
    USP LEM/DAO
    Some kind of Glock with a NY1/- connector setup (it's kinda DAO-ish)
    Kahr makes a couple

Heck, I'd probably include a Model 25 or 625.

Frankly, nothing else really comes to mind.
    I’m pretty sure Beretta made a D model of the Cougar in .45.

.45 ACP isn't a requirement, guys, just a overall preference. That said, it just so happens that I'm bidding on a 625 right now, a 5" "Model of 1989". I fully expect it to go over what I'm willing/able to pay, but at the moment I'm high bidder. Auction doesn't end until Saturday, so I'm not holding my breath . If that doesn't happen, I'll be shifting my direction a little bit and bid on a succession of K-38's, both 14 and 15 dash somethings. It occurred to me that a .38 Spec. will do everything I want a revolver for, the only advantage to the 625 is that I already load for .45 ACP. The advantage to the K-38's, bid prices are quite a bit lower than the big bore revolvers I've had my eye on. And if none of those fly, there's a Beretta 92D a ways out. So one way or the other, I'll get something "new" . Of course, that means something "old" will need to go to finance it, most likely my CZ 97 BD . Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Probably should have been more clear up front, not interested in anything smaller than 9x19 Luger, and have a definite preference for .45 ACP. Also not looking for a compact or smaller, this will most likely be a pretty much strictly a range toy, so full size only. And although I don't hate polymer frames, I do prefer metal, so barring some unbelievable deal falling in my lap, no plastic . But thanks for the suggestions, later.

Dave
    It will take you a while, as the last time I saw one for sale was 2017, but there was a slick slide, PX4 type D .45.
    From what I have read, there may have been some non slick slide type D's as well (but that would be easy to make).

Another more immediately available and viable option in .45 ACP would be an HK45 or HK45C in LEM. Well built, magazines reasonably available, tunable.

Or, considering the revolver option, a Ruger GP100 revolver, which will feel like a .22 with .38 Specials, and is both field-strippable, spring tunable, and exceptionally well built for longevity.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Another more immediately available and viable option in .45 ACP would be an HK45 or HK45C in LEM. Well built, magazines reasonably available, tunable.

Or, considering the revolver option, a Ruger GP100 revolver, which will feel like a .22 with .38 Specials, and is both field-strippable, spring tunable, and exceptionally well built for longevity.

Best, Jon
    Have considered and looked at both, just didn't care for the feel of the HK. But I haven't ruled out a GP 100, I especially like the 6" standard model, just something about full length underlugs that really appeals to me. Which might have something to do with the Smith 625 I'm bidding on now . I had actually put my Sig on consignment last summer, with the intent of buying a GP 100 once it sold. Figured by December it wasn't going to happen, so I picked it up in January, and now I consider myself lucky it never did sell . The 625 I'm bidding on ticks nearly all the boxes for me, .45 ACP so it's a cartridge I already load for and like a lot, full underlug, and 5" barrel. I'd prefer blue over stainless, but the finish on this looks really good, so I guess I can live with it . Had to up my bid today, and still expecting it to go too high for me, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway. And if this doesn't happen, there's more lined up for my itchy bidding finger . Later.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    What are your thoughts on the Security Six vs GP100?

Site Supporter
    I've become a pretty big fan of the GP100. I honestly don't have an issue with the DA trigger on mine and the grip peg combined with a nice set of rubber grips make the gun stupidly soft shooting even with magnum level ammo.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Security Six vs GP100?
    I have one of each; a blued GP100 thoroughly gone through for improved performance, but still within the constraints of IDPA's Stock Service Revolver criteria, and a stainless Security Six, subjected to a light action job.

Both are superb revolvers; The Security Six is capable of being a bit more tuned than the GP regarding smoothness of triggerpull, has slightly more dynamic draw characteristics but the GP handles follow up shots better, and between the two I slightly like the GP's handling characteristics a bit better. I find the single-handed shooting characteristics of the GP are superior to the -Six Rugers, but that may be just me.

My Security Six is sighted for 125 gr .38 Special +Ps, which is pretty much its steady diet; the GP I have zeroed for 158 gr .357 magnums, which is now its steady diet.

Weight-wise, there actually may not be that much of a difference between the two, as the Security Six has a full frame receiver for the grips, where the GP has only a peg; the GP obviously has more weight and bulk in the remainder of the frame, barrel and cylinder.

Support-wise, the GP is current manufacture and fully supported by Ruger; the Security Six not anymore by Ruger directly-although not much ever breaks or goes out of time on a -Six revolver.

My advice is to try examples of both, particularly if you're going to be predominantly shooting .38 Specials. For .357 magnum, I'd definitely tilt towards a GP100, especially if you intend to shoot 125gr .357 magnums in quantity.

My preference in both is towards the 4" models; I've previously owned a 3" full-lug stainless GP and a 4" fixed-sight short-lugged GP; great guns, but simply didn't offer me anything of significance over the 4" fully lugged 4" adjustable sight version, and I prefer having an adjustable sight on my revolvers, both for adjustability and for an improved sight picture (but to this day, I still somewhat jones over a short-lug 4" fixed sight GP-go figure; I'll probably eventually succumb and get one).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-02-2020 at 03:26 PM.

So Jon, with your obviously extreme familiarity with all things double action, and realizing that this post IS in the semi-auto forum , what's your experience with S&W revolvers? As already stated, I'm currently bidding on a 625-6 "Model of 1989" in .45 ACP, of course. Despite being stainless steel, this grows on me every time I look at the listing, not a good thing actually, as it makes it harder to be disciplined about how high I bid . I've looked at Redhawks and GP 100's, but I haven't looked at a -Six in years, despite having had one back in the '70's, and formerly being a big Ruger fan. I've owned a bunch of different Ruger's over the years, currently own a Mini 14, but have only ever owned one Smith. All of which is my long winded way of asking, if you were just looking for a shooter grade range toy revolver, which would you pick, Ruger or S&W? How's that for putting you on the spot ? Later, and thanks for all your help.

Dave

User Tag List