Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My experience with COVID like symptom

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I woke up this morning feeling awesome. Back to abs and pushups, then just now did a great 40 minute hike in the desert. Aerobic back to normal.

Coming in from the desert, about ten yards from back onto pavement, Astro was leading, then Charlie, then me. All of the sudden my wife screamed and started back pedaling. I grabbed her and at the same time heard rattling. I looked ahead and there was a large rattler coiled, head up and moving, obviously pissed off. I tried to throw the one large rock nearby at it, and missed, which seemed to piss it off even more. I moved eight feet right to get the backstop clear, pulled my P2000 and fired. First shot was unclear as to whether it hit, fired a second shot and popped it through the head, ending the encounter. It was a Western Diamondback. Our dog had gone through ahead of us and obviously both avoided it and got it riled up. That may have kept my wife from walking onto it.
    Glad you got the rattler.

Moving on, you might want to consider taking it easy with the aerobic exercise. Buried in the corona thread, it sure seems like at least some folks are dying after recovering from the illness, because it may be causing some type of cardiac issue. So you know 7 or 8/10ths for a couple of more weeks might be advisable. Better check with @YVK maybe he can give you a house call...
    ___

It is distinctly possible that I too had covid-19 earlier this year. I went to a big conference in early Jan in Austin with lots of international attendees and spent some time with a number of my colleagues from China. As is predictable when you leave a big conference, you get the crud afterwards. Symptoms kicked off about two days after the conference (five day conference) and I had fatigue, a dry cough, and a very mild fever that waxed and waned for about 5 days, before subsiding and finally going away after another 3 days. At the time I attributed my general feeling of malaise and unwell to a big cedar pollen bloom in Austin at the time. Having lived in Austin for 8 years, I definitely have a cedar pollen allergy, but to be honest it did not feel like hay-fever so much as it felt like an illness.

An anti-body test would be quite interesting. I think a number of us who have traveled through any major airport over the past 120-days have likely been exposed and the number of positive tests that pop-up afterwards will be fascinating.

I just found out a co-worker tested positive. It looks like 10 more days of isolation for me.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

If one is running a fever, is it advisable to try to keep it down by the use of cool showers/baths in addition to tylenol?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Better check with @YVK maybe he can give you a house call...
    I don't need to, he calls my house. No worries with cardio. If you gonna get a COVID19-related myocarditis, it won't be from overworking your heart. If anything, you might be able to recognize your symptoms sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    If one is running a fever, is it advisable to try to keep it down by the use of cool showers/baths in addition to tylenol?
    Totally out of my area of expertise but people who's opinion on such matters I respected the most called an external cooling for fever a nonsense. External cold triggers body's response to preserve heat through constricting skin blood flow, and the core temperature actually rises. Patients might feel more comfortable but their fever is higher. I never went on to check for myself if that explanation was true though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

That's interesting and makes a bit of sense. Would love to see the data if they ever do/did a study on it though.

I'm catching up on messages and just saw this thread, so my apologies for not wishing you a speedy recovery sooner. I'm very, very glad that you are feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    I'm catching up on messages and just saw this thread, so my apologies for not wishing you a speedy recovery sooner. I'm very, very glad that you are feeling better!
    Any reaction to the claims that the number of deaths in Wuhan was ten times greater than reported?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Any reaction to the claims that the number of deaths in Wuhan was ten times greater than reported?
    As suspect as all numbers from China are, Wuhan proper is practically in the "pick a number, any number" class. Officially, there were fewer than 2,600 (!) deaths there, which is almost certainly way, way, way below the actual number. Ten times that at 26,000 does not seem unreasonable to me. I've seen some estimates as high as 100,000 which I think is probably too high (that's almost 1% of the entire population), but anything between 10,000 at the low end and 50,000 at the high end are plausible. It would have been hard to hide 50,000 extra deaths in most other cities in China even during the peak of the epidemic there, but Wuhan and the surrounding cities were under such stringent and extensive lockdown that the residents were severely isolated and so stressed that I doubt most of them had any idea what was going on outside their own doors. If the numbers were closer to 10,000, it will be harder to determine just how bad it was, but if they were closer to 50,000 (or higher), it's going to start coming out over the next few weeks, as the lockdown gradually lifts and people start realizing that their friends and neighbors seem to be missing. Even with strict censorship, Chinese people are going to talk about that and will find ways to get around banned words and phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    As suspect as all numbers from China are, Wuhan proper is practically in the "pick a number, any number" class. Officially, there were fewer than 2,600 (!) deaths there, which is almost certainly way, way, way below the actual number. Ten times that at 26,000 does not seem unreasonable to me. I've seen some estimates as high as 100,000 which I think is probably too high (that's almost 1% of the entire population), but anything between 10,000 at the low end and 50,000 at the high end are plausible. It would have been hard to hide 50,000 extra deaths in most other cities in China even during the peak of the epidemic there, but Wuhan and the surrounding cities were under such stringent and extensive lockdown that the residents were severely isolated and so stressed that I doubt most of them had any idea what was going on outside their own doors. If the numbers were closer to 10,000, it will be harder to determine just how bad it was, but if they were closer to 50,000 (or higher), it's going to start coming out over the next few weeks, as the lockdown gradually lifts and people start realizing that their friends and neighbors seem to be missing. Even with strict censorship, Chinese people are going to talk about that and will find ways to get around banned words and phrases.
    A wise man once wrote "If you ignore a problem long enough, it will go away... just to come back bigger and eat your lunch."

China is basically putting a band-aid over gangrene, and hoping that it will get better.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

At where we are in this outbreak, I don’t think a positive or negative test is necessarily definitive. Hopefully when there is an antibody test, it might be more dispositive.

I am more impressed you both got tested — who do you know or what were your symptoms that you both managed to get tested?
    I have 3 people, known exposure without proper PPE, develop symptoms 7-10 days post exposure while in quarantine, all 3 tests came back negative.

All had fever, cough, sore throat

I do not have a lot of faith in the tests. In my state 8% are coming back positive, I believe nationally it’s at 14%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List