Thread: OLD RL550 Question.

OLD RL550 Question.

I have an RL 550 that is probably close to 25 years old, this is the model previous to the 550B.

I've taken it completely down several times to clean and lube, but have never been able to get the left (as looking at in the manual) nut off the link arm pin (PN 13700). This is the older link arm pin that does not have a grease zerk.

Up to this point I've use a pin on my grease gun to get a little grease to the lower link arm area, but now I need to get it off. The problem is the nut turns, but doesn't come off. In looking at the link pin, the threaded portion on the left end, as seen through the nut, looks to be a different color - brass or copper - compared to the stainless threaded portion on the other end.

I have no reason to believe the bolt is stripped, unless it came from Dillon that way.

Does anyone have a clue? Dillon doesn't open till Monday and I'd like to get this pin replaced and get back to loading.

If I remember correctly, there is an allen head set screw in the middle of the linkage that is holding in the pin.

Do you have pics?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Do you have air and an impact gun? I think nothing is going to stop it from spinning. I think if you take the pin out of the top and can get the top of the link lose (I think it just drives out) it should slide out if you have the other side off. At that point you could grab it with something cushioned (I often use a split piece of automotive heater hose) and get the nut off, or you could grease it and put it together the way it came apart?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    If I remember correctly, there is an allen head set screw in the middle of the linkage that is holding in the pin.
    I think that is in the bottom of the ram holding that pin in place?

Pictures would help.
    #RESIST

Dan, I have the same model.
    The difference in color that you see is the yellowed (from age) nylon in the Nylok nut.
    You are correct that there is no way that nut or shaft has striped threads.
    The reason you can't get it off is the nylon in the Nylok type nut has aged and is firmly tight on the threads and the shaft is just turning with nothing holding it.
    Do you have the nut off of the other end? If so have you tried using padded vice grips to hold the threads at that end to keep the shaft from turning?
    These nuts are not "tightened" in place. They are only threaded on far enough to hold the shaft in place from moving laterally. That's why Nylok nuts were used. To keep them from moving
    If you'll notice on Dillon's web site in the video section showing take down and lubing they do not show taking that portion of the ram assembly apart. Maybe there is a reason for that.
    If I may be so bold, why is it necessary for you to take that part of the ram apart?
    If you are lubing it regularly there should be no reason to take it apart. Why does it need to be "replaced"? Do you mean order a new one?
    I've used the "needle" on my grease gun to lube mine for years. Everything is still tight and working great.
    At this point, waiting until tomorrow to call Dillon will solve the removing the nut issue and the ordering the shaft issue.
    Sorry not much help for your stated dilemma.
    Last edited by baddean; 03-29-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Dan, I have the same model.
    The difference in color that you see is the yellowed (from age) nylon in the Nylok nut.

Do you have the nut off of the other end? If so have you tried using padded vice grips to hold the threads at that end to keep the shaft from turning?
    Oh, yes, I've locked the shaft into place, the nut spins and doesn't come off. Regarding the yellowing of the nylock nut, why wouldn't the other end be that way?

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    If I may be so bold, why is it necessary for you to take that part of the ram apart?
    On a pretty regular basis the brass in station one doesn't align properly with the sizing die and I have to 'wiggle' it a little to get it into place. My initial though was the case feed, when I eliminated that, I called Dillon and they told me to tighten bolts on the link arm pin and that if that didn't work they would have me return it for rebuild. Since that nut is 'slipping' I cant really do that. I want to avoid shipping it to Dillon in the middle of my heaviest shooting time. I'm actually planning on getting a 750, but the downturn has given me enough pause that I'm leaving my savings intact for a while (I'm also holding off on my 40x60 new shop building).

I've already got a new link pin in hand, I ordered it when I ordered the upper link arm pins to do a rebuild.

Thanks for your help.

ETA: I can't help but think that my loading position might have something to do with this - for comfort in loading, I stand a little to the left of the machine center, that way I can easily see that each case gets a powder charge and place bullets into the cases. I think that as a result I've been apply side torque to the roller handle.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 03-29-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Solved. Cut 3/4 through end of shaft and bolt with angle grinder then two whacks with a chisel and done. No damage to the link arm. Threads were all buggered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    ETA: I can't help but think that my loading position might have something to do with this - for comfort in loading, I stand a little to the left of the machine center, that way I can easily see that each case gets a powder charge and place bullets into the cases. I think that as a result I've been apply side torque to the roller handle.
    I think the system naturally puts asymmetrical pressure against the thing, not your position.

I managed to break one of the link arms, this gives me both pride and shame. Pride that I managed to wear out a frickin Dillon product, shame that maybe I should have done something differently

Site Supporter
    Dillon will service your old press for a reasonable charge.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Dillon will service your old press for a reasonable charge.
    Actually they were going to rebuild it under warranty. I just didn't want to be without a loader for that long.

After 20 some years the body collar broke, called Dillon on Friday afternoon, 'that's covered, it'll ship Monday'

Very happy with them and their products.

User Tag List