Thread: Problem with .45 ACP Coated RNLs in a Revolver

Site Supporter

Problem with .45 ACP Coated RNLs in a Revolver

I took my M22-4 to the range today because I haven't shot it in about a year. I've been loading 230-grain coated RNLs from Brazos Bullets over 5.8 grains of BE-86 for a hardball equivalent load and it works fine in my M&Ps. Twice, though, I've had the bullet pull out in the sixth round in the revolver. I taper crimp them to .471 and it's evidently not enough. I've read of folks crimping them as tightly as .468 but that'll probably compress the forward driving band a bit, plus make the downstroke on the 550 that much harder.

Using .471 worked in the past with uncoated lead and jacketed bullets. I could make revolver-specific ammo by seating these bullets deeper and roll crimping over the leading edge of the front driving band, but then it wouldn't work in my bottomfeeders and I wanted to have one load for all my .45s.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Site Supporter
    Found a solution - ordered a box of 500 of these bullets. Gives me a crimp groove and won't be mistaken for the RNLs.

I've had the same problem with my 625. The bullets occasionally pull away from the case and lock the cylinder up. I was using coated RNL bullets also. My solution was to go to FMJ and a heavier crimp. I had to buy some FMJ for my HK anyway so now I just load coated RNL for my 1911's and FMJ for everything else.

Problem now is you can't hardly find any bullets to buy.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List