Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Groceries and Self-Isolation

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Have you considered buying a whole (or share of) an entire cow? If you have the space and chest freezer to buy in bulk, it may be worth looking into. The prices should be a better due to not needing to pay for shipping, though you'd need to pick up yourself. Upside is you know where the cows are coming from and how they're raised, and you are also supporting someone local. Other than needing the space/freezer, the biggest downside versus a subscription box is you're maybe going to get cuts you don't normally purchase.

Please don't take this comment the wrong way since I basically ignored your question, but I think it's a viable option if the pros/cons work out for your family.
    That's what I do. I buy from a local meat market, but the cows come from a farmer friend of mine who lives about a mile down the road. Basically I just get as many steak cuts as I can and then a bunch of ground beef. The good steaks I grill, the others I cut up for fajitas or soup.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Same experience here with Chewy. Pretty happy with their service.
    Chewy has been excellent reliability wise, before and during the "lockdown", it's just quite a bit slower now due to demand.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

My local brewery just dropped off a growler of French farmhouse ale and a 4 pack of the new citrus inspired IPA that they released today. The ale should pair well with the pork tenderloin, lentils and edamame I’m serving the family for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Chewy has been excellent reliability wise, before and during the "lockdown", it's just quite a bit slower now due to demand.
    We've been doing Chewy too, but ours has gotten backed up badly. Compounding that, the already delayed most recent order was "delivered" but it wasn't delivered to my house (I have a sneaking suspicion that a particular neighbor got it due to a FedEx FUBAR and stole it, but can't prove it -- that's an ongoing issue aside from Chewy). However, notifying chewy that i didn't actually get my order (explaining the situation honestly), they're sending me (6) 4.5lb bags in place of the (1) 24lb bag because of of availability issues. That's a hit to them. They were good to deal with on the phone. Applause all around for their service.

However I do now have 3 orders backed up in different stages of fullfillment and had to make a trip to the pet store to buy food anyway. Oh well. Once it gets caught up I'll be better stocked
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List