Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Groceries and Self-Isolation

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Groceries and Self-Isolation

I've seen tips and tricks about this mentioned in other threads, but I thought it might be helpful to organize it in one place. After my wife was exposed on Thursday, we're actively working under the assumption we're carrying the virus. We have a few N95 masks we can wear if we need to go into a store, but I'd prefer to be extra careful and just avoid those places for the time being.

How are folks getting their groceries? We had used Amazon Fresh during the first week of the self-isolation wave. I had to get up at 2:00am to actually secure a delivery time, but it was doable. Now, Fresh appears to be limiting the number of items of each category to one. Meaning, one can of tuna, one can of soup, et cetera. Maybe that will change, but assuming it stays the same, then Amazon is not going to be a viable option.

What else is out there? We live in the D/FW area, so most delivery / curbside services should be available here.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I've seen tips and tricks about this mentioned in other threads, but I thought it might be helpful to organize it in one place. After my wife was exposed on Thursday, we're actively working under the assumption we're carrying the virus. We have a few N95 masks we can wear if we need to go into a store, but I'd prefer to be extra careful and just avoid those places for the time being.

How are folks getting their groceries? We had used Amazon Fresh during the first week of the self-isolation wave. I had to get up at 2:00am to actually secure a delivery time, but it was doable. Now, Fresh appears to be limiting the number of items of each category to one. Meaning, one can of tuna, one can of soup, et cetera. Maybe that will change, but assuming it stays the same, then Amazon is not going to be a viable option.

What else is out there? We live in the D/FW area, so most delivery / curbside services should be available here.
    Understand this is a question because I've not looked into it myself, but do you have an operating UberEats or GrubHub? I know they've done groceries in the past.

Some grocers will also do a curb-side service. Depending on vehicle type, they can put the groceries in the trunk (or truck bed), and never have direct contact with you. If you've got a van or SUV only, not sure that'd work out.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've pretty much decided that going to the grocery is a necessary evil. Yeah, it's not ideal but not something that can be avoided. Once every two weeks we'll make the journey into darkness.
    Last edited by blues; 03-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Did Instacart on Friday for Costco. Originally told they couldn't do it until Monday, but 30 minutes later started getting texts from the shopper about substitutions. Given everything going on right now it's what I'm going to do for the foreseeable future.

Site Supporter
    Around here in Austin Randals, Heb, walmart, costco, and Aldis are doing curbside pickup. Whole foods has a home delivery service. All of them are difficult to get a timeslot. We also have ended up getting a fraction of what we ordered and many substitutions.
    My wife was told when picking up a walmart order that a timeslot earlier in the morning is more apt to get all its contents.
    You may have to go further afield. We've been going up to cedar park and leander.

I’ve got enough dry and staples for a while but so long as grocery shopping isn’t outlawed, I’m making runs between 5 and 9am (as early as store is open) to get more fresh eggs, greens and produce, which I’m eating every day to make sure I’m as full of nutrients as possible. I think I’m averaging one run about every 5-6 days. Gloves and mask, I don’t care what I look like.

"We have a few N95 masks we can wear if we need to go into a store"

Maybe obvious, but FWIW: N95 and similar masks come in two varieties - with and without exhale valves. Most industrial use ones have the valve, because they make the mask a lot more pleasant to wear. Medical ones don't have the valve, because with a valve outgoing air isn't being filtered. So either protects the wearer from whatever bad things are out there, but the ones with a valve don't protect the outside from you.

As to the grocery, I suppose the best you can do if you can't arrange delivery is to make as few trips as possible, if the stores aren't limiting quantities.

FWIW, I just went to walmart.com and there is a lot of stuff out of stock, but I added to the cart pancake mix, dried milk, kidney beans, granola bars, canned green beans, and beef stew - just testing a random assortment of stuff. There is free delivery for most of it if you spend over $35. So that's an option.

Instacart is working here as long as you plan 2-3 days in advance. Curbside pickup is 1-2 days.

This is a heavily mormon area so most everyone already has a year of food at home for emergencies, but it is sure nice to get fresh produce while it is still available.

Fred Meyer has an order online deal where you drive up and call, and they wheel your stash out to the car for you.

Of course, there’s no guarantee that the people doing your shopping for you aren’t a/mild carriers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Instacart here delivers for the big chain store (Price Chopper), Aldi's and a boutique store (Cosentinos) I have used those 3 w success. It says it will do Costco to but the price premium on the few items I sampled seemed to be 10%ish. There was a disclaimer. It also seems to work with CVS and Target here as well.

I wipe it down and break it out of pkgs where/when feasible. I was my hands before, during and after the process. I do not lose my shit or get pissed when they do no knock loud enough and my ice cream sits outside in 65-70 degrees long enough to melt b/c everybody is doing their best in these times.

The prior two orders, the shopper communicates in real time re timeline, substitutions etc. That did not happen with the Aldi load to include my ice cream. I will change the instructions to tell them to knock real loud until we come see them v. just leaving it on the back stoop as that door is much closer to the kitchen.

I am having groceries delivered via this app to my retired brother/mother as well.

Alcohol and tobacco products are not being delivered via Instacart in this area. IDNK re others.

User Tag List