Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE grip and light question

LE grip and light question

I was watching Live PD and saw an Deputy doing a house clearing using gun and flashlight. With his left hand holding his light resting on the wrist of his right gun holding hand. His left light holding wrist was very close to the rear of the slide on his gun. Were he to have to fire is gun, the slide would seems like it would impact his left wrist, risking jamming or injury. What amI missing here?
    Name:  11766DD9-9D65-4BC4-AA12-EEE48B0FF505.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  24.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Looks to be a poorly executed Harries technique. Perhaps if he thought he was going to shoot, he would "unmate" his hands, shoot one handed with the light coming up to a face/neck index?

Stress makes people do funny things. LivePD provides weekly examples of how NOT to use a light, weapon mounted light, muzzle people, etc. One episode had Sheriff Lamb in Arizona muzzle his camera man from head to toe with his M4.

Now there are some squared away folks in the show. Lt Danny Brown in Richland County is exceptional in his weapon handling.

Oh look, someone criticizing cops for doing cop shit, from the safety of their television set. Put on a badge, go out on patrol and see how beyond reproach your operatorfu is in the real world, where it's not an academic exercise. Then, come back with your own video.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    ...Put on a badge, go out on patrol and see how beyond reproach your operatorflu is...
    ... sorry. Couldn't resist...
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Sadly not all cops are guns or tactics people. I worked in the same Richland county referenced above and cleared a house with a Corporal who did so with the thumb of her right hand against the back of the slide. I also responded to several CDVs with a Deputy who liked to talk to suspects with his hands in his pockets. Not how I'd have done it but they more than got the job done. Thought enough of them to go into many more houses with them. Hands in his pockets guy was great at de-escalation BTW.

I didnt see the episode and imagine this was likely a fluke.

Humorously, I'll say this: Well, it's a technique.

Ok, that's done.

Curious as to what he was taught in the academy? During in-service? What was going on at the time in whatever event was causing LivePD to video him? Context can matter.

While I doubt I'd choose to work that way, I can envision ways he ended up there.

LE grip and light question

Could it be the Van Keller technique? Well, at least a variation with a tailcap flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stoic Chaos Firearms Training

Http://www.Stoicchaos.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Humorously, I'll say this: Well, it's a technique.

Ok, that's done.

Curious as to what he was taught in the academy? During in-service? What was going on at the time in whatever event was causing LivePD to video him? Context can matter.

While I doubt I'd choose to work that way, I can envision ways he ended up there.
    Or when wha the last time he had in service low light training ?

I can also see how he got there.

You can be taught the right way to do anything. Then you go out and run calls, write reports, make traffic stops almost every day but you might not be clearing houses in low light very often. If you work days, its even less. It's a very perishable skill. Most departments aren't teaching much low light anything on a regular basis, if ever.

User Tag List