Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Over

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There was a time I reloaded my hunting rifle ammo, .44 magnum, .44 Special, .45 acp, and .40 S&W. Now that I am not reloading, I can’t afford to shoot those calibers!
    I think that's pretty much what he's saying.

I reload 9mm... Partly because I like 147gr bullets, and 147gr ball ammo is a bit more expensive than 115gr fodder, and partly because I have a decent stash of components from years of buying when I found cheap deals ( like $10/k primers). A while ago, I loaded 2500 rounds of 147gr Hornady jacketed bullets up with WSF powder, for less than the cost of a single case (1000) of AE9FP at the time (~$190).

I can't beat wolf/tula steel case for $129/k, and I probably can't beat $170/k for brass cased ammo... but I can come really close, while shooting my preferred bullets. I'm also not panicked about finding 9mm ammo right now. But I do know some folks are going to have a hard time finding 9mm ball for the time being. If you can afford to stack it deep while it's cheap, there is nothing wrong with doing so. But you are at the mercy of the current market, if you need ammo NOW. I'm really not saving anything by loading 9mm, but it's tailored to my desires, and I have some control over the production in times like these (panic shortages).

.38 and .357 are calibers I can save a ton on reloading.

I do my loading on an old Dillon 550. Sometimes I want to upgrade to a 650 (750 now?) and add a case feeder, a bullet feeder, and rifle brass processing equipment....and down the ever increasing equipment costs rabbit hole we go.... but so far I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have three presses mounted. I use my grandpa’s C-H Tool and Die Pistol Champ for revolver rounds, a 550 for pistol rounds, and a Redding Turret for rifle ammo.
    I have a CH press that best guess is from the 1940s.

I paid $15 for it at a garage sale in the little mountain town where my dad lives, hoping I could make it work with modern dies.

Ends up I could get conversion pieces to take shell plates from RCBS. I paid another $25 to have it converted. So for $40 plus dies, shell plates, I was in business.

It has been set up as my .300 WM reloader for about a decade now.

Talk about Old School

I've been running a 650 for at least 15 years. Recently just added small primer set up and don't know why I waited so long. Easy peasy. I use a Redding T7 for all things rifle and some 44 mag. Good combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have a CH press that best guess is from the 1940s.

I paid $15 for it at a garage sale in the little mountain town where my dad lives, hoping I could make it work with modern dies.

Ends up I could get conversion pieces to take shell plates from RCBS. I paid another $25 to have it converted. So for $40 plus dies, shell plates, I was in business.

It has been set up as my .300 WM reloader for about a decade now.

Talk about Old School
    Interesting. I had no idea that one of those H presses would work with large rifle brass.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I suspect many people say they reload for economy but mostly do for enjoyment.

When you factor in the cost of reloading equipment, the primers/bullets/powder, having to chase brass, your time, and the increased exposure to lead throughout the process, I know that it doesn’t pencil for me when $170/1000 good quality 9mm ammo is available.
    About 5 cases would at that price would be good to have right now. I'm seeing it for about twice that price now, if you can find it. I don't shoot a lot of 9 MM but I can load all I want for about $16/100. I have plenty of time so that isn't an issue for me. I hope you stocked up.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I am a big Dillon 550 fan - ended up with three though "deals" where I found them used.

I agree factory ammo WAS cheap - but I like to load and I can produce really cheap 9mm tailored to my range use. I but bulk loaded 55 FMJ M193 clones but I load a lot of 77 OTMs a lot cheaper than factory.

I use factory defensive and hunting ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Interesting. I had no idea that one of those H presses would work with large rifle brass.
    Yep I load my .300 wm on mine.

I am the type of handloader, where I find a particular load, and stick with it. I load in volume and get to know the dope for the cartridge. For the .308 I almost exclusively load 155 Scenars (except for my TRG, where I shoot a lot of 175 smks, due to previous experience with 118LR).

That said, I just got new AI bottom metal for my T3 .300, so this spring I will be in the process of new load development. My chief complaint about the T3 was the factory mag box limited handloads, and the use of the better projectiles available today. With AI bottom metal, I can take advantage of the VLD projectiles.

That said, the local "gunsmith" who was supposed to fit the bottom metal totally FUBAR'ed the job, so I have to take it to an actual smith and have it done properly, so there might be a bit of a delay in the load development.

what it looked like previously:

The old CH press has enough room to load 215 Berger VLDs. I have to slide them under the seater die opening, which is no biggie, but it all works.

User Tag List