Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Over

Starting Over

Hi, all. For my seven year sentence in NYistan, I kept promising myself that when I escaped to a free territory, I was going to get back into reloading. I've got plenty of reloading experience in handgun and rifle, but it's all out of date - like I sold all my gear back in 2006 before I moved OCONUS out of date. My old go-to was a Dillon 550B, which, frankly, did everything I needed.

Now I'm thinking about getting back into the habit, as my impending retirement means my supply of free ammo is about to dry up. Looking for current advice on what I should start shopping for - I know there was a big discussion of wet tumbling (sounds like a big improvement over the old ear-splitting/dust spewing nonsense I used to put up with), looking to see what the current hotness is.

I'm a BIG fan of Dillon - never had any issue with the 550B (or the 450 I started off with), but I'm open to more affordable options if there's a decent competitor on the market. I'm also NOT looking to spend a couple months' house payment on the set up, and really don't need to be able to crank out 1,000 rounds/hour. I'm also looking for a one-stop press solution, not interested in setting up different presses for different calibers. I'll be mainly loading 9mm, .45 ACP, and 5.56mm - with the occasional .38 thrown in for spice.

Thanks in advance for your input - it really will be appreciated!

Site Supporter
    Concur re Dillon 1000% My first shooting mentor (Maj. DRS, RIP) initially had a Conga Line of Square Deal Bs- 9mm-38/357-44/44 mag-.45 ACP. He may have had 1 more for 5.56 but I know by the time I wanted to start reloading he advised that it was too much of a PITA to reload plinking 5.56 relative to buying it in bulk.

He later sold the "line" (for more than he paid for them BTW) and bought two 650s with all the fixins. One was set up for small primers, the other large.

FWIW

IMHO, Dillon is the only way to go. I use two of them for my reloading duties, a 550 for all large primer ammo and a SDB for small primers. I have a quick change for each caliber that I reload for (.45 ACP, .357 Mag, 9 MM,and .30-30 Win.). The lifetime warranty and great service is hard to beat. And as you probably know, they retain their value.Name:  IMG_20191111_121403065.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  41.8 KB

I echo the Dillon 550B as the choice for handgun rounds. If you are patient, you can save a bit by buying used. Dies are something that are user specific as everyone has their own method. I prefer RCBS, Redding, and Hornady depending upon the round.

While the OP mentioned a preference for a single press, I would recommend specialized presses because I hate tearing down setups. You can also buy these used and save a lot of money. I use a MEC Jr. for 28-gauge shotshells that cost me $100 and a RCBS single-stage press for rifle rounds. That being said, I load rifle for only wildcat rounds, mostly .22 K-Hornet, .218 Mashburn Bee, and .17 Ackley Bee for my Contender barrels. I may only load twenty rifle rounds in a month.

I suspect many people say they reload for economy but mostly do for enjoyment.

When you factor in the cost of reloading equipment, the primers/bullets/powder, having to chase brass, your time, and the increased exposure to lead throughout the process, I know that it doesn’t pencil for me when $170/1000 good quality 9mm ammo is available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

When you factor in the cost of reloading equipment, the primers/bullets/powder, having to chase brass, your time, and the increased exposure to lead throughout the process, I know that it doesn’t pencil for me when $170/1000 good quality 9mm ammo is available.
    Laughs in coronavirus ammo panic buy
    #RESIST

If you were only shooting 9mm, I would wholeheartedly agree, this would make sense.

Shooting 44 mag, or 45 Colt, and hunting rifle cartridges like .308, 300 win mag in any great numbers, it has been my experience that reloading is the better choice in the long haul. Plus you can tailor your load to a particular firearm, in addition to not having to worry each time the whole nation panics for (insert reason number X).

I doubt I will run of components any time soon for .45 acp. Meanwhile 3/4 of the nation of 9mm shooters is freaking out right now because they don't have enough ammo to fill 3 magazines.

For me, it is to load ammo I cannot buy or economy. Wildcat rifle rounds, 9x23 loads no one offers, and 28-gauge loads at reasonable costs are why I reload. 9x19 is not something I now load.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If you were only shooting 9mm, I would wholeheartedly agree, this would make sense.

Shooting 44 mag, or 45 Colt, and hunting rifle cartridges like .308, 300 win mag in any great numbers, it has been my experience that reloading is the better choice in the long haul. Plus you can tailor your load to a particular firearm, in addition to not having to worry each time the whole nation panics for (insert reason number X).

I doubt I will run of components any time soon for .45 acp. Meanwhile 3/4 of the nation of 9mm shooters is freaking out right now because they don't have enough ammo to fill 3 magazines.
    There was a time I reloaded my hunting rifle ammo, .44 magnum, .44 Special, .45 acp, and .40 S&W. Now that I am not reloading, I can’t afford to shoot those calibers!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I echo the Dillon 550B as the choice for handgun rounds. If you are patient, you can save a bit by buying used. Dies are something that are user specific as everyone has their own method. I prefer RCBS, Redding, and Hornady depending upon the round.

While the OP mentioned a preference for a single press, I would recommend specialized presses because I hate tearing down setups. You can also buy these used and save a lot of money. I use a MEC Jr. for 28-gauge shotshells that cost me $100 and a RCBS single-stage press for rifle rounds. That being said, I load rifle for only wildcat rounds, mostly .22 K-Hornet, .218 Mashburn Bee, and .17 Ackley Bee for my Contender barrels. I may only load twenty rifle rounds in a month.
    I have three presses mounted. I use my grandpa’s C-H Tool and Die Pistol Champ for revolver rounds, a 550 for pistol rounds, and a Redding Turret for rifle ammo.

User Tag List