Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Four Horsemen of the .45

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    This thread makes me miss the 4516 that I traded off long ago.
    (Hangs head in shame) For a Glock.
    That, sir, was an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    In that photo, you have two Tupperware containers, one geriatric and the hammer of Thor. Can anyone guess which one is which?
    I don’t see a 10mm Bren Ten in there...

-

A 4506 would be nice, I’d settle for a 4513, but I think a 645 or 745 might be what I really want. A 945 is also definitely a want.

CDNN has HK45s and 45Cs right now for 650 each. Which has been tempting, to go alongside a MK23 Crew Served Pistol.

A P220 is also necessary.

And of course...a Shansei Type 17...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    PSST....

You need a West German Sig P220 for a Fab 5 of the Fo' Five....
    I dig the current choices... but, yeah--I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That, sir, was an error.
    I was thinking it was a crime!

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I’ve carried 3 of the 4 as duty weapons...the 1911 as an MP, the Hk USP full size and compact, and a Gen 2 Glock 21, which is in my safe now after spending almost 3 years in an evidence room. I had a 4506 as a personal weapon but that thing was a boat anchor.

I also have an M&P midsize 45 that I also carried as a duty weapon. I’d carry the Glock or M&P any day. I will own another 1911 in a couple years just for nostalgia. I just don’t have a lot of love for anything Hk.

This is the funny thing, about the 1911 vs the 4506.

People obviously LOVE the 1911 and they carry them and a great many devotees don't complain about the weight. The 4506 however is different. One of the single most common adjectives used to describe the pistol is "boat anchor". I have seen that written literally hundreds of times.

The funny part is this.

The S&W 4506 actually weighs less.

Official factory specs state that the weight is 1 OZ less, (original Colt 1911)

But actual manufacturer weights will vary a bit. As an example, I have an S&A magwell on my Baer ( don't know what it weighs, but not much).

Both of these 1911s feature traditional guide rods.

Here is my Springfield Armory, which is a very bare bones, Retro build.

Once people get an idea stuck in their heads. it is hard to change perceptions, and the "boat anchor 4506" has long been one of those.

I was issued a 4586 and while I HATED the gun for its DAO trigger, weight was not bad, though our troopers called it the same thing. I carried a 1911 as often as I could when on EP detail as my "Back up", not because it was lighter, but because I simply shot it much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This is the funny thing, about the 1911 vs the 4506.

People obviously LOVE the 1911 and they carry them and a great many devotees don't complain about the weight. The 4506 however is different. One of the single most common adjectives used to describe the pistol is "boat anchor". I have seen that written literally hundreds of times.

The funny part is this.

The S&W 4506 actually weighs less.
    My first semi-auto pistol was the S&W 4506. I bought it in 1988 or 1989. It was big, but not that big of deal since I was still fairly young.

About a year later I bought my first 1911. It fit me better, and the 4506 has been practically unused since then.

Every now and then when I get the feeling the 1911 is too big to carry around, I pull out the 4506, and realize how sleek and ergonomic the 1911 is in comparison. The 4506 may not be heavier, but it just seems bigger to me.

That is a good point about how the pistols feel in the hand.

The Glock 21 is significantly lighter than a 1911. In fact a fully loaded G21, with 13+1 is lighter than an empty 1911, yet it seems huge compared to the slim lines of a nice 1911.

When I swapped the grips out on my 4506 from the rubbery Hogues to the narrow plastic ones it made a significant difference in how the gun felt in my hand. It was not as comfortable to shoot from a recoil standpoint, but it made for a narrower profile, concealment wise, and it felt better in the hand when drawing. It was like a cute but chubby chick you have not seen for a while just lost 30 pounds and all of the sudden

The 4506 seems heavier due to the distribution of the pistols mass. It lacks the grip safety, mainspring housing, etc., of the 1911. Therefore, more mass is concentrated in the slide and forward part of the frame, making the pistol "feel" heavier.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I don’t see a 10mm Bren Ten in there...

-

A 4506 would be nice, I’d settle for a 4513, but I think a 645 or 745 might be what I really want. A 945 is also definitely a want.

CDNN has HK45s and 45Cs right now for 650 each. Which has been tempting, to go alongside a MK23 Crew Served Pistol.

A P220 is also necessary.

And of course...a Shansei Type 17...
    That's because the OP has obviously restricted the list to pistols that actually work.

One of my old dispatchers has a 745 she bought from another trooper I used to work with. I keep thinking I should call her up and make an offer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That is a good point about how the pistols feel in the hand.

The Glock 21 is significantly lighter than a 1911. In fact a fully loaded G21, with 13+1 is lighter than an empty 1911, yet it seems huge compared to the slim lines of a nice 1911.

When I swapped the grips out on my 4506 from the rubbery Hogues to the narrow plastic ones it made a significant difference in how the gun felt in my hand. It was not as comfortable to shoot from a recoil standpoint, but it made for a narrower profile, concealment wise, and it felt better in the hand when drawing. It was like a cute but chubby chick you have not seen for a while just lost 30 pounds and all of the sudden
    My brother prefers the lines of the "chunky monkey" Glock to it's counterparts.

The one he shoots has a Grip Force Adapter no less because he likes his guns to be, and I quote, "Dummy Thicc"

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List