Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Four Horsemen of the .45

Anyone looking for a "special" 3rd gen .45? S&W 4553 TSW

Part of me is glad parts might be hard to come by because it certainly has giggle factor and giggle factor seems to trigger my impulse buys...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    My sense of staid, classically appealing aesthetics weeps.

Site Supporter
    The same seller has a no-lock 4in Model 29... with an OD Green cerakote job.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Site Supporter
    Oh. Wow.

To save the thread:

Name:  26CFA590-37A6-4CD2-88A9-8E5E960C57FB.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  40.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I've never seen those slide markings before. How common (or uncommon) is the decocker-only variant of the 4506? Have you seen these slide markings on any other 3rd gen models?

I had the same decocker only (and markings) on the melonited 4566 I mentioned previously in this thread. They were special ordered by the agency I worked for at the time.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Since were talking .45s... anybody have/shoot a CZ97? I don’t think I’ve read/seen/heard anything about it that wasn’t positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I've never seen those slide markings before. How common (or uncommon) is the decocker-only variant of the 4506? Have you seen these slide markings on any other 3rd gen models?
    My answer would be very uncommon. I think the decocker models only appeared late in the life of gen 3 production. I obtained some of the 45XX frame deock version levers with the special spring, and had my gunsmith mill the slot and hole needed to convert a 4506 and even a 645 to accept it. But my 21st century made 4563 Tactical which was a late production gun in gen 3 already had that milling in the slide, all I had to do is install the decock only levers because the milling was done at the factory.

I have never actually seen a NIB decocker for sale at at LGS, ever. I think they were mostly sold to agencies and offered as an option for LE orders. E.g. I think the WV state police models, and the KY state police 4566 models (never issued but all 1200 delivered to KSP sold off by the state to FFL dealers) I have never laid hands or eyes on a 9mm decock only version.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I am FAR from an expert, but I was told over on the S&W forum that it is a rather uncommon gun. I have had more than a few offers to buy it. Funny thing is I was just shooting and carrying it yesterday, doing some load testing. The thing is a sweet shooter and it is very easy to hammer with, Great winter carry gun.

8 shots off hand from 20 yards. (disregard the smaller 9mm holes from a previous trip)

For me, with a "fuzzy" front sight, I was not complaining. I figure that was good enough for me.

With 9mm being a little hard to find, I have even more excuses to break out my .45s!

CZ 97BD

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Since were talking .45s... anybody have/shoot a CZ97? I don’t think I’ve read/seen/heard anything about it that wasn’t positive.
    I bought a CZ 97BD (decocker version) with a 2019 date of mfg. about a year ago. It has night sights and aluminum grips. Trigger reach is a bit long on DA first shot, but for me, the SA trigger position works well for me. Has functioned 100% with an assortment of FMJ and JHP, both 230gr. Grip feels somewhat 1911ish. Extended beavertail in 1911 terms.

This pistol has the loaded chamber indicator. The LCI is screwed into the slide as opposed to others that are pinned. I read that the screw loosens with use. In my first outing I kept an eye on it. Sure enough the screw loosened. Put a bit of blue loctite on it and kept shooting. No loose screw. Take down is a bit different in regards to barrel bushing (screws in) but not a problem at all.

The pistol is heavy but I knew that going in. Personally I would choose my S&W M&P full-size 45 if I were to carry a 45 because of lighter weight.

At the range one day a CZ friend of mine was at the range. He sends his stuff to Cajun GW for mods. After 3 mags through it, he was impressed with the pistol.....big grin on his face. A thumb safety version is available and I think that can be carried cocked and locked. I could only find the decocker version when I was looking for the 97.

The 97 is a solid well-built pistol that I am totally satisfied with!!

User Tag List