Page 85 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    war-lorded .

I love that choice of word for this context! It really describes so many aspects of the situation at many levels.

“Hi...so, um, you are a SWAT team from Dubuque or a Missouri National Guard truck company and you just decided to come here on your own under no authority and you picked this corner and decided to setup a checkpoint?......uh ok cool”

“Hi so your actually NOPD but driving around in Cadillacs that you got from the dealer lot without permission? oh uh, cool”

But that’s probably a conversation better had over beers, sorry for the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I love that choice of word for this context! It really describes so many aspects of the situation at many levels.

“Hi...so, um, you are a SWAT team from Dubuque or a Missouri National Guard truck company and you just decided to come here on your own under no authority and you picked this corner and decided to setup a checkpoint?......uh ok cool”

“Hi so your actually NOPD but driving around in Cadillacs that you got from the dealer lot without permission? oh uh, cool”

But that’s probably a conversation better had over beers, sorry for the drift.
    Yeah man things were.....mercurial.

In five years in Chi, I’ve had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in two motorcycle flash mobs and turning the wrong way and getting stuck in a protest that started to get violent on the edges.

All three of those events I was vehicle bound and I could drive my way out. Last time in a motorcycle mob, I simply turned and drove away, only to have a massive number of bikes turn the corner ahead of me (coming towards me) and riding in the whole street, including oncoming lanes. Several bikers had stopped to harass pedestrians and they were clearly looking for a fight. So, I put the hammer down and let a ton of car do my talking as I held it straight and didn’t let up. Two bikes lost the game of chicken with me, slicing out of the way. All I could think at the time was, “Damn, I really wish I had something bigger than a 1911 and two spare mags right now.”

And ever since then, the idea of some kind of easily transported “PDW” has been in the back of my head. If it were legal to transport a loaded shotgun or rifle in this state, I’d probably just buy a Tac13 and be done with it. Buckshot and slugs are superior choices. So, frankly is a proper rifle caliber.

And that’s one of my hangups. I should buy a .300BLK, with a Law folder and an 6-8” barrel. And double plug and shoot the thing.

So @KevinB - eta on ARIC launch?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In five years in Chi, I’ve had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in two motorcycle flash mobs and turning the wrong way and getting stuck in a protest that started to get violent on the edges.

All three of those events I was vehicle bound and I could drive my way out. Last time in a motorcycle mob, I simply turned and drove away, only to have a massive number of bikes turn the corner ahead of me (coming towards me) and riding in the whole street, including oncoming lanes. Several bikers had stopped to harass pedestrians and they were clearly looking for a fight. So, I put the hammer down and let a ton of car do my talking as I held it straight and didn’t let up. Two bikes lost the game of chicken with me, slicing out of the way. All I could think at the time was, “Damn, I really wish I had something bigger than a 1911 and two spare mags right now.”

And ever since then, the idea of some kind of easily transported “PDW” has been in the back of my head. If it were legal to transport a loaded shotgun or rifle in this state, I’d probably just buy a Tac13 and be done with it. Buckshot and slugs are superior choices. So, frankly is a proper rifle caliber.

And that’s one of my hangups. I should buy a .300BLK, with a Law folder and an 6-8” barrel. And double plug and shoot the thing.

So @KevinB - eta on ARIC launch?

Or just buy a Rattler, run it without the can, and bag it. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Or just buy a Rattler, run it without the can, and bag it. Done.
    Alas, no cans here in Illinois mang, so buying one with a can would be superfluous anyways.

But there are some flash diverting muzzle devices that might work, the Flaming Pigs from Noveske, the KAW Linear Comps, or the Whistle Tip from Q?

Edit: Anyone have any idea how "blasty" the Sig Rattler Canebrake is with the "inert" (faux) can on the end? It's got the effect of lengthening the barrel and should make it a little less blast happy.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-12-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Let's talk PDW's

I have a long blast can, short blast can, and BRT covert comp for my 7.5” 300BLK pistol. The covert comp is the best for perceived blast for the shooter. I don’t find it that bad. Definitely less than a 10.5” 5.56.

If you prefer pistol calibers for shooting, just put in a carbine buffer and shoot subsonic.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Alas, no cans here in Illinois mang, so buying one with a can would be superfluous anyways.

But there are some flash diverting muzzle devices that might work, the Flaming Pigs from Noveske, the KAW Linear Comps, or the Whistle Tip from Q?

Edit: Anyone have any idea how "blasty" the Sig Rattler Canebrake is with the "inert" (faux) can on the end? It's got the effect of lengthening the barrel and should make it a little less blast happy.
    The Flaming Pig does greatly reduce the blast of the Rattler. It's a good size bit of steel hanging on the end of the barrel but it works. I'm going to drop the $60 on the Black River Covert Comp to see if it performs as well as the Pig! Probably order one next week. The newer Sig's have better triggers than the 1st gen MCX's. You could get lucky and get a nice one. My gunsmith recommended the Rock River Two Stage Match trigger for mine. Really cleaned up the terrible trigger of my MCX lower. Not as nice as the Geissele SSA in my Colt CCU but for $90, damn good.

the Flaming Pigs from Noveske
    No experience with that Sig, but the pig brakes do great work on my 8" 5.56 AR piston upper (Adams), my 8.5" 300BLK, and my 8.5" 5.56 Krink. What I think Noveske figured out was that he could basically create a device that was nothing more than that first blast baffle inside a suppressor and package it in a way that did not trigger NFA. The worst of the concussion seems to be directed in the direction the bullet is traveling. I am sure some of the others do much the same work.

I have the very inexpensive MI-PBD blast diverter on my 7.5” 5.56. It does the job, and it’s easy shooting. Not punishing at all.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    • I’m slightly less put off by the whole braced-pistol thing than I was when this started (although I still think it’s a little lame, and I wonder/worry about this loophole closing on someone’s neck when an interpretation changes, and would prefer not to have to deal with that)
    • I have two “real” SBR lowers in 5.56, so maybe I’m “spoiled”
    • I do see some value in not having to travel with a “real” SBR, and instead having a “pistol” (although once you go across state lines having to think about differing laws, and the differing laws for pistols vs rifles, is a bit much).
    • theres also maybe some value in not having to wait on SBR paperwork, and maybe some value in not having used an NFA item if it ever came down to it
    I've owned and travelled around the country with braced AR pistols and SBR ARs for some years. Both have their value.

- Stocks are more rugged than most braces. Stocks offer a little bit more stability when shooting, but I don't find the brace (SBA3 with Split Fix) to be a handicap. It's easy to get "spoiled" by an SBR lower.

- I like being able to travel without the permission slip needed to take an SBR to another state, but that's mostly due to the fact that I hate filling out government forms and I'm good at procrastinating. I'm also good at setting something where I can find it again (paying attention with only half my brain) and not remembering where that place is.

- You can take your SBR lower to another state without travel papers as long as it's not configured as an SBR. It can be used as a 16" plus rifle or pistol.

- It doesn't matter if the interpretation of the brace changes. If it happens, the most you'll be out is the cost of the brace. Simply remove it and, if necessary, destroy it. Or, leave it in place and never install a barrel shorter than 16". Done.

Like anything else, it's preference. Some prefer having a brace to the exclusion of an SBR. Some, prefer the SBR and wouldn't use a brace. Myself, I see no reason to limit my choice to one or the other. Try it for yourself. Get either the SBA3 and a Split Fix, the Tail Hook Mod 2 or the more spendy PDW. The worst that could happen is you decide you don't like it and sell or trade it off with a fancy letter that reads "This Part Is Certified rob-s Tested".
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-12-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List