Page 84 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

As I previously posted, it’s my party and I’ll LARP if I want to. A forum based solely on realistic needs would be boring AF. In the three sub forums, marksmanship & GH/armorer/general discussion, we would discuss our plain used gen 3 g19s, 5k round spring replacements, and how to call 911. It’s a hobby people. It kills time off the non ankle monitored indefinite home confinement we are all sentenced to.

I actually appreciate the fact that everyone here is constantly trying to explain how they aren’t LARP’ing and realize they probably won’t need to use their SR25 with $5k optics in their daily lives because that means we have a more switched on group of people to begin a fun “what if” ideal hardware discussion. Hell, I only really take the gun with me for overnight travel and even then I realize it’s mostly a Walter Mitty extravaganza.

So we get it, you probably aren’t going to save Nakatomi Plaza with this thing. Now please go back to entertaining us with your knowledge and good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    A forum based solely on realistic needs would be boring AF.
    There’s a continuum. Go too far in the direction you suggest (all business) and you wind up with 10-8forum. Go the other direction (a bunch of people too caught up in their own fantasy world to realize how stupid they sound) and you wind up with barfcom.

Honest,y, this is how most of you fuckers sound to me most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There’s a continuum. Go too far in the direction you suggest (all business) and you wind up with 10-8forum. Go the other direction (a bunch of people too caught up in their own fantasy world to realize how stupid they sound) and you wind up with barfcom.

Honest,y, this is how most of you fuckers sound to me most of the time.

That’s cool because this is how most of your posts read to me

https://youtu.be/hQb6WOqnaW4

One person’s “Larp” is another person’s normal.

Do you have a shoulder fired weapon as part of your home defense plan? Do you think your risk, when out of your home, is greater or less than at home?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Like others have said, I don’t see this as something I’m likely to deploy.

My potential use case primarily is for traveling with the family and having something more than a pistol available. Among other things, we usually leave town for hurricanes and that case in particular having something small but punchy would make life easier. I don’t anticipate needing to make 100 yard head shots at the Ramada in waycross.
    Hurricane bug-out for Gulf South folk is actually one of the plausible bag gun uses. Traveling with the family out of the storm zone and staying at a cheap hotel because that's the only thing available, where all the white trash is drinking malt liquor and grilling in the parking lot. Nice place to have a bag gun that you can discretely walk to your room an d set up for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Hurricane bug-out for Gulf South folk is actually one of the plausible bag gun uses. Traveling with the family out of the storm zone and staying at a cheap hotel because that's the only thing available, where all the white trash is drinking malt liquor and grilling in the parking lot. Nice place to have a bag gun that you can discretely walk to your room an d set up for the duration.
    I swear that’s a scene straight out of one or more of our evacuations.

One time in particular we had to stay the first night in a pair of adjoining rooms with wife, I, kids, and grandparents. It was one of those kinds of hotels where the carpet is permanently wet feeling. We all kept our shoes on.

When I was un-packing the car I walked out of the room to find, no shit, a dude in goat boots, ratty sorts, and a tobacco-spit stained wife-beater standing at the vending machine between our room and the truck. I would have loved to have been able to retrieve my long gun but at the time figured it was safer and as-yet unseen in the truck than it would have been in the room after having been glimpsed by Cleatus. A PDW in a regular backpack would have gone unnoticed. Instead I came back for the rifle after dark.

I swear that’s a scene straight out of one or more of our evacuations.

One time in particular we had to stay the first night in a pair of adjoining rooms with wife, I, kids, and grandparents. It was one of those kinds of hotels where the carpet is permanently wet feeling. We all kept our shoes on.

When I was un-packing the car I walked out of the room to find, no shit, a dude in goat boots, ratty sorts, and a tobacco-spit stained wife-beater standing at the vending machine between our room and the truck. I would have loved to have been able to retrieve my long gun but at the time figured it was safer and as-yet unseen in the truck than it would have been in the room after having been glimpsed by Cleatus. A PDW in a regular backpack would have gone unnoticed. Instead I came back for the rifle after dark.
    Yup! I worked every hurricane from '90-'11 but my family always evacuated and the "cheap hotel storm refugee" scenario is definitely a thing.

Those cheap ass hotels almost always have exterior room access too so all those fuckers are right outside your window. It's really awful.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    carrying a "substantial" gun in a bag for more than the walk from the car to the shooting lane is also kind of a PITA.
    Yes it is. The few times I've had my backpack AR pistol in an urban setting it did become a PITA for sure. I wouldn't want to carry it around everywhere I go that's for sure, but that's not why I have it. I take it with me when we travel and the backpack means I can carry it most places and not have to secure it in my vehicle. The worst was a large outdoor farmers market/festival in Eastern WA. It was hot as balls and we were walking around for several hours.

As I previously posted, it’s my party and I’ll LARP if I want to. A forum based solely on realistic needs would be boring AF. In the three sub forums, marksmanship & GH/armorer/general discussion, we would discuss our plain used gen 3 g19s, 5k round spring replacements, and how to call 911. It’s a hobby people. It kills time off the non ankle monitored indefinite home confinement we are all sentenced to.

I actually appreciate the fact that everyone here is constantly trying to explain how they aren’t LARP’ing and realize they probably won’t need to use their SR25 with $5k optics in their daily lives because that means we have a more switched on group of people to begin a fun “what if” ideal hardware discussion. Hell, I only really take the gun with me for overnight travel and even then I realize it’s mostly a Walter Mitty extravaganza.

So we get it, you probably aren’t going to save Nakatomi Plaza with this thing. Now please go back to entertaining us with your knowledge and good ideas
    I get it. These threads are fun mental exercises. rob_s has a tendency to suck the joy out of anything that isn't his idea or that doesn't perfectly line up with his habits and lifestyle, while starting 45 threads about vehicles he's never gonna buy. That's okay too though, those car threads are fun as well. We all LARP hard in our own ways.

My quarantine boredom has me working out how I want my desert/woods/overland LARP vehicle to be setup when we move to the southwest and that won't be for another year or three.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Yup! I worked every hurricane from '90-'11 but my family always evacuated and the "cheap hotel storm refugee" scenario is definitely a thing.

Those cheap ass hotels almost always have exterior room access too so all those fuckers are right outside your window. It's really awful.

40+ days on the ground during Katrina changed my perspective on disasters and the GOV ability to protect us forever. As a young AS3 I drove with the first platoon from Bragg to New Orleans and made many trips into the outlying towns for supplies.

We had incredible reception from many Americans who lived along the way. They fed us, let us camp in their parking lots, even fixed an LMTV flat tire for free. It was humbling.

But the situation was down right scary along the highways leading out of town for 100 miles. Parking lots of hotels, gas stations, and shopping centers were packed with hungry dangerous and scared people car camping. I was damn glad to have a half dozen paratroopers with me when I ventured out.

Now that I have a family to worry about I feel obligated not to let them down. I take the PDW with me when we go on say a summer vacation to the lake four hours away. I stash the bag into the rafters or crawl space of the rental house and forget about it until pack up time. I keep a rifle at home for contingencies and there is no reason the aliens won’t land, earth quake, pandemic, zombies, etc. while I’m away. If I carry a pistol daily to get home, a PDW stashed in the building is piece of mind.

Oh, and the LARPing, I like part too

40+ days on the ground during Katrina changed my perspective on disasters and the GOV ability to protect us forever. As a young AS3 I drove with the first platoon from Bragg to New Orleans and made many trips into the outlying towns for supplies.

We had incredible reception from many Americans who lived along the way. They fed us, let us camp in their parking lots, even fixed an LMTV flat tire for free. It was humbling.

But the situation was down right scary along the highways leading out of town for 100 miles. Parking lots of hotels, gas stations, and shopping centers were packed with hungry dangerous and scared people car camping. I was damn glad to have a half dozen paratroopers with me when I ventured out.

Now that I have a family to worry about I feel obligated not to let them down. I take the PDW with me when we go on say a summer vacation to the lake four hours away. I stash the bag into the rafters or crawl space of the rental house and forget about it until pack up time. I keep a rifle at home for contingencies and there is no reason the aliens won’t land, earth quake, pandemic, zombies, etc. while I’m away. If I carry a pistol daily to get home, a PDW stashed in the building is piece of mind.

Oh, and the LARPing, I like part too
    Yeah man I pretty much war-lorded the entire west side of my county during Katrina. It was common for us to roll up on four wheelers and have a conversation with someone who had a slung long gun on sitting in a lawn chair on what was left of their property. Lots of time the conversation would drift to guns and then we'd chat about that for a bit and then I'd let them know that we had lost about 3/4 of our fleet and most patrolling was being done by deputies on foot or on quads like my SWAT team had. Plus there was so much debris in a lot of places there simply wasn't anyone coming.

User Tag List