Page 8 of 206 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    To this end, Q has the Sugar Weasel, which uses an SBA3 and costs almost a grand less to boot.
    Yes, I believe that would be an excellent choice. I looked for them online, but they have skyrocketed in price to near original honey badger levels. BCM still had uppers as of a day or two ago when I last looked.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think except for use of subsonic and < 10” barrels, 7.62x39 is superior in every way?
    I think the only thing superior with x39 is the ammo is cheaper. Ballistics and terminal performance seem to favor the more streamlined 300 blk bullets and the TSX. The ability to run standard mags and I seems that the x39 bolts are more fragile. Are there mags that are reliable with ARs now? Those are the reasons I went with 300 blk. Have things changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I think the only thing superior with x39 is the ammo is cheaper. Ballistics and terminal performance seem to favor the more streamlined 300 blk bullets and the TSX. The ability to run standard mags and I seems that the x39 bolts are more fragile. Are there mags that are reliable with ARs now? Those are the reasons I went with 300 blk. Have things changed?
    Makes sense to me, and that's why I went with 300BLK. But 7.62x39 in an AK seems like another solid choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    BCM still had uppers as of a day or two ago when I last looked.
    BCM. That's what I would recommend as well.

My cheap-ass PSA build has tested well, but required tightening of gas block and a new rail.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I just sold my Honey Badger because of these reasons, I despised how the stock felt on my face when shooting, it seems a little hincky to quickly unlock it, it was unpleasant to shoot and seemed to shoot like an itty bitty gun while only being slightly smaller than a more conventional eight inch .300, and disassembly was ridiculous with the fight to get the spring back in place.

I have AAC and BCM eight inch .300 BLK pistols and they are all fine. I have been thinking about a KAC SR-30 when they come back into stock.
    I love my sr30.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I mean, Gold Dot is suppose to expand down to ~1700 FPS, so... should be good for 100 yards and in even with a 7.5" barrel, particularly with some of the lighter bullets? I would be very interested in seeing what testing you've seen that contradicts that, so that I can stop spouting off that line when people ask about super-short .223 guns.
    A large, county level, local LE agency invited all manufacturers to a gel test for potentially changing their current duty load for 16" patrol carbines and 10.5" SWAT SBR's. Reps for Winchester, Speer, and Hornady were in attendance. All cartridges performed as expected in the 16" patrol guns, for better or worse.

There was also a local AR builder there, retired from the same agency, and he had convinced some of his old SWAT pals to test a 7" build he had. This was done after the formal testing. To his credit, it ran well, but each and every projectile used to run the same FBI protocol test failed in bare gel. Each yawed, and exited the fresh from a cooler, and calibrated, block. I can't remember which did which, as testing through a 7" barrel wasn't relevant (just interesting) to my purpose there, but some projectiles yawed completely and exited the rear of the block, the result of which is over-penetration. Others yawed to a degree and exited one side or another. Only a couple were tested through what was left of the auto-glass, none of which made it close to 14".

Keep in mind, this was one day, with one 7" gun, and one FBI trained individual facilitating the test, but it is consistent with the average outcome of projectiles not reaching the bottom of their velocity performance window. I've made it a point, and habit, of avoiding open and public discussion of specific performance results I've seen in testing, as it could be misconstrued. I'm only sharing this because ALL 5.56/.223 cartridges failed the same test from a 7" barrel, which seems relevant to the discussion here.
    Last edited by StraitR; 03-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wouldn’t that be the other way around?

In many places it’s when the mag is outside the grip that it causes issues.
    I’ve seen wording that seems like it was meant to snag Uzis and other similar pistols. But, you are correct - regulating outside the grip is more common. Here in IL AR pistols were commonly banned by municipal ordinance until preemption came in with FCCL, but the code is usually still on the books and so far as I know there haven’t been any test cases to knock them down. The towns with AWBs on the books tend to be progressive enough to say fuck you to the idea of preemption.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    How is the reliability with the scorpion pistol? I'm actually looking at the Scorpion Micro right now and trying to decide now on it.

Thanks!
    The Evo pistols have the reputation of being reliable as long as you use factory length magazines without extensions and leave the trigger stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate that. The micro seems like it would be a great PDW setup, since it already comes with the pistol brace etc... I appreciate it.
    Sample of one, but mine was a normal pistol that I rebuilt with a HB Industries “K” kit and their trigger group springs. My logbook isn’t next to me, but I believe I’m about 950 rounds since I made it a krátký. No functional issues at all, it has run 100% since new with around 1.2k in. Most of that has been Lawman 124 gr with the remainder WWB 115s I only use factory 20 rounders. Recoil is stout for what it is, but is not an issue.

I specifically didn’t want the first version CZ Micro with the telescoping brace (not a fan of the cheek weld), but I see now CZ is offering a version with a SB Tactical brace. I still prefer my version with the CZ extension and hinge and a GHW Tailhook mod 1 and adapter. Believe it or not, I make a point of shooting with the brace as intended every session - IMO the Tailhook is much more practical than the rubber chicken and Velcro braces.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I just sold my Honey Badger because of these reasons, I despised how the stock felt on my face when shooting, it seems a little hincky to quickly unlock it, it was unpleasant to shoot and seemed to shoot like an itty bitty gun while only being slightly smaller than a more conventional eight inch .300, and disassembly was ridiculous with the fight to get the spring back in place.
    The MVB stock doesn’t have the issue other PDW stocks do with fighting the buffer spring on assembly/disassembly. It also uses any standard BCG. I also have no complaints about the cheek weld but I’m a nose to charging handle kind of guy. And it shoots very nicely event without the can.

And for folks talking about a PCC, there is still a significant size advantage over even an 8.5” AR. It’s of course 300BLK because going shorter than 11.5” with 5.56 is just not smart.

I have AAC and BCM eight inch .300 BLK pistols and they are all fine. I have been thinking about a KAC SR-30 when they come back into stock.
    Was your Honey Badger the SBR, or Pistol?
    I have a 2 stamp with the SBR & Thunder Chicken. Took a year for them to clear, so not an impulse buy for
    the Beerpacolypse.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

User Tag List