Page 3 of 206 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    The closest I have to a DPW is a DDV7 Pistol in 5.56. It’s got the 10.3” barrel, an SBA3 brace with a split fix on the brace. A Surefire M300 and an Aimpoint T-1.

I don’t want to go with a smaller barrel in 5.56mm and I’m not ready to add in a new caliber and go in on the 300 Blk.

I currently am using this as my go-to in my house. It was bought as my travel gun when on vacation.

My state is in a mandatory lockdown. Of sorts. Most of my trips are to and from work and I’m issued a marked take home car that has a personally owned 16” DDM4V7 in it.

But when I go out to the store on my off time, the AR Pistol is in my personal car. Something I’ve never done in the past.

With all that’s going on, and the potential for it to get worse, the PDW concept is becoming more and more of a valid concept in my opinion. Kind of wishing I owned a Sig Rattler right about now.

Also a part of me regrets selling my IWI Tavor X95 bull pup.

I think once this is over and the firearms industry has recovered, I will look into a 300 Blk PDW.

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up one of these two. A full sized AR takes the ride to and from work with me in a sorta discreet bag. I've been thinking (with increased seriousness, as of late) that I wouldn't mind having something, in addition to a handgun, with me at other times. I'd feel a lot less ridiculous tossing a PDW sized bag in the car with me than anything 16" AR sized. I'm not super interested in picking up a new platform or caliber, but it seems I'll have to make a concession on one of those aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think except for use of subsonic and < 10” barrels, 7.62x39 is superior in every way?
    I think that short barrel performance in terms of burnt powder is the same.

Obviously the 300 BO magazines function better than AR 7.62x39 mags.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think except for use of subsonic and < 10” barrels, 7.62x39 is superior in every way?
    With supersonic ammo, the x39 has no less than 100fps advantage at any given barrel length, last I looked (back when @GJM inquired about a 300blk SBR vs Krink). Otherwise, I think the biggest advantage of 300blk > x39 is reliable mags in AR pattern rifles and availability/selection of high PD/HD ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    I've been kicking around the idea of picking up one of these two. A full sized AR takes the ride to and from work with me in a sorta discreet bag. I've been thinking (with increased seriousness, as of late) that I wouldn't mind having something, in addition to a handgun, with me at other times. I'd feel a lot less ridiculous tossing a PDW sized bag in the car with me than anything 16" AR sized. I'm not super interested in picking up a new platform or caliber, but it seems I'll have to make a concession on one of those aspects.
    Everything I've seen about the Sig Rattler says it's a terrible suppressor host, if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Everything I've seen about the Sig Rattler says it's a terrible suppressor host, if that matters to you.
    Not relevant still this time, though I appreciate the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I know, 9mm will get me killed on the streets...

Attachment 50793
    Another fan here. Plus, it fits in a laptop case or backpack without too much drama.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Over the past few years, the 8 inch .300 BLK AR pistol, and small 9mm in the form of the SP5K and now APC9 Pro, have easily become the most useful “larger than carry pistol” firearms for my wife and me. Being able to easily stick them in a pack is a game changer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Over the past few years, the 8 inch .300 BLK AR pistol, and small 9mm in the form of the SP5K and now APC9 Pro, have easily become the most useful “larger than carry pistol” firearms for my wife and me. Being able to easily stick them in a pack is a game changer.
    Your endorsement over the last year or so for the 300blk pistols was a consideration in my decision to buy. Not that I needed a big push or anything, but if you trusted it for big bear defense, it should fill my needs well.

General thread thoughts....

I wasn't very clear in my original post, I think "PDW" is a broad stroke, covered in different ways for different people. It doesn't have to be some current technical definition. Scorpion's, subguns in general, Krinks, 10.3" or whatever AR pistols or SBR's all fall into my thought process for the purpose of this thread. What are you toting around for your Personal Defense Weapon that's above and behind what you have tucked in your belt? That's what I had in mind for the discussion here.

Some states forbid carry of a loaded rifle in the car. In such case, a modest little AR pistol, covered by one's CCW, should be ok. When I think of a PDW my mind goes to something like this.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...dw-first-look/

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Some states forbid carry of a loaded rifle in the car. In such case, a modest little AR pistol, covered by one's CCW, should be ok. When I think of a PDW my mind goes to something like this.
    A 5.5" barrel in 5.56? Pass.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List