Page 29 of 209 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That basically is pre-built. You're just slapping the two receivers together.

You can get a PDW lower direct from PSA though: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446451.html

If you don't want the PDW type setup, I would get a SBA3 brace instead of whats on that AP lower. Add a Gen III LAW folder for $249.

The reason I was looking at the Aero lower was my research in to PSA lead me to understand their lower parts QC was a bit more hit or miss and replacing the guts with somebody else’s LPK was common.

Like I said I’m still fairly uneducated on the whole rifle world so I appreciate the guidance! I figured the LAW Folder would put it more in to PDW-ish configuration. Will definitely look towards the SBA3 as well.

You can get a PDW lower direct from PSA though: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446451.html

If you don't want the PDW type setup, I would get a SBA3 brace instead of whats on that AP lower. Add a Gen III LAW folder for $249.
    Dumb question, but how difficult is it to install the law folder?

Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    The reason I was looking at the Aero lower was my research in to PSA lead me to understand their lower parts QC was a bit more hit or miss and replacing the guts with somebody else’s LPK was common.

Like I said I’m still fairly uneducated on the whole rifle world so I appreciate the guidance! I figured the LAW Folder would put it more in to PDW-ish configuration. Will definitely look towards the SBA3 as well.
    Pretty much everything from PSA is like that. Whatever you buy from them may work, but it also may not, especially right now since they’ve admitted to hiring people with zero experience to keep up with demand. I’d take the gamble on a complete lower from them before I do it on an upper since the former is harder to screw up.

I’m seriously debating a MK18 now, which I never cared about before. I just got an 11.5 MLOK upper and now after this thread I kind of want the shortest one I’d trust which would be the MK18 that brownells has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Kit Badger has a good video on Youtube. Looks no more difficult than installing a regular buffer tube/end plate, and easier than assembling a lower considering there's no punches or whatnot involved.

I'll let you know my personal experience when it arrives (currently in the mail).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    ...the 300 Blk with Hornady 110 V-Max (current load) is my go to.

JW
    I'm curious why you selected that particular load. The only 2 bullets in 300BLK I can recall DocGKR endorsing are 110gr TTSX and 110gr GMX. Usually Varmint bullets are not great choices for two-legged predators.

This thread is giving me some serious wantsies.

I know I’m likely getting in over my head, but I’m considering “building” my own setup using a full PSA upper and full Aero lower and add a LAW Folder.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449132.html

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...rip-sbm4-brace

Does it sound viable or should my mostly novice self just stick to pre-built? My budget is about the $800-$900 range.

At that price point, you are knocking on the door of the street price of a Ruger AR 556 #8572. How would the PSA parts compare to Ruger for quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty much everything from PSA is like that. Whatever you buy from them may work, but it also may not, especially right now since they’ve admitted to hiring people with zero experience to keep up with demand. I’d take the gamble on a complete lower from them before I do it on an upper since the former is harder to screw up.

I’m seriously debating a MK18 now, which I never cared about before. I just got an 11.5 MLOK upper and now after this thread I kind of want the shortest one I’d trust which would be the MK18 that brownells has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Since you already have the 11.5" upper, I would just stick with that. Unless of course you have an actual reason why you need 1" less barrel length for transportation/concealment purposes or something like that.

The post 2017 DD MK18s with the Crane spec gas port really are a dream to shoot in comparison with, well, almost any other 10.3/10.5" upper. Prior to that, the ones with the blown out gas port were gassy AF, even with lower powered ammo like 55 grain PMC Bronze.

Unless of course you're just wanting an excuse to get a MK18 upper, which is totally cool and I have no problem being an enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    At that price point, you are knocking on the door of the street price of a Ruger AR 556 #8572. How would the PSA parts compare to Ruger for quality?
    From what I’ve heard of the Ruger it’d definitely be better than the PSA. I’m just looking for something with that shorter barrel to make it more compact and throwable in to a reasonably sized bag if I wanted to transport it in a more inconspicuous manner.

I appreciate the suggestion!

ETA: It’s completely likely I’m just tilting at windmills to a degree with my reasoning. Hell it could work great for me and it’s definitely going to be what I’ll buy if I’m shown my line of thought to be silly.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 04-01-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Easy - I installed two recently. Bought first one new with a coupon before CV19 and bought a used one (like new) locally.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I have both a PSA lower and Aero lowers. Really like the Aero M4E1 lower as it has a threaded bolt catch pin that makes it way easier to install than hammering at a roll pin. fit and finish have always been good. That said the PSA lower was fine too. For LPKs I really like CMMG. Their builder's kit on Brownells is a good deal and their parts are nice. Safety is nice and positive which I like.

User Tag List