Page 24 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You are hanging out in the wrong neighborhood — the stock HK SP5, SP5K and APC9 Pro have all been extremely reliable for me. Good designs and good magazines. I wouldn’t trust a full size USPSA PCC, with a tricked out trigger, extended magazines, and “optimized” recoil system mods on a bet.
    Sounds like HK is a safe bet, unsurprisingly.

As are 5.56 and 300BLK ARs...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Picture is worth more words.

Attachment 51012
    Lol! Yessir! I’d already posted this in the thread so I wasn’t planning to post it again but why not.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    As it is, when I sit down and evaluate the whole field, the compact AK-pistols make a lot of sense, in that a side-folding brace + rifle caliber is ideal and 7.62x39 even out of an 6" barrel does not suffer the same questionable expansion and penetration issues that 5.56 does, move up to an 8 or 10" barrel and it's even mo' better, the problem of course being AK ergonomics, but whatever, deal with it.
    I've been wondering about them myself. Do you have ballistics info for short barrelled AK's?

cc

7.62x39 is blasty as fuck out of 8-9" barrels, and given the general shit playing field for quality 7.62x39 duty-grade ammo, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're actually better off with 5.56 as there are multiple good choices in barrels as short as 7.5"....whereas with x39, the decent loads are subject to big swings in availability (because nobody buys an AK to shoot premium ammo). The obvious best choice being the 300BLK.

I mean, it would certainly have cool points when you kill the dude with the gigantic fireball these monsters spew.

I'm curious on the ballistics in Krink-length barrels as well, for the 8M3, SST, etc.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I've been wondering about them myself. Do you have ballistics info for short barrelled AK's?

cc
    Like this?

Yeah, blasty as fuck, very front heavy, and a major project to make into a modern weapon. I do like my M92 SBR. It’s fun, and surprisingly accurate to 300 yds. But not as handy as my little 7.5” 300BLK.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    7.62x39 is blasty as fuck out of 8-9" barrels, and given the general shit playing field for quality 7.62x39 duty-grade ammo, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're actually better off with 5.56 as there are multiple good choices in barrels as short as 7.5"....whereas with x39, the decent loads are subject to big swings in availability (because nobody buys an AK to shoot premium ammo). The obvious best choice being the 300BLK.

I mean, it would certainly have cool points when you kill the dude with the gigantic fireball these monsters spew.
    Good point I hadn't thought of. The two magazines I've put through a 12" FAL was enough for me, damn thing would rattle your fillings loose if you got a decent cheek weld. I bet a Krink wouldn't be much nicer.

I'm curious on the ballistics in Krink-length barrels as well, for the 8M3, SST, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

cc
    Good question from both of you. I don't have any on hand, I'll have to do some more research.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Like this?

Yeah, blasty as fuck, very front heavy, and a major project to make into a modern weapon. I do like my M92 SBR. It’s fun, and surprisingly accurate to 300 yds. But not as handy as my little 7.5” 300BLK.
    I was just looking at a very nice Arsenal pistol in x39, with a folding brace. While I always wanted a “Krink,” it seems like the .300 BLK in an eight inch AR seems better in so many ways?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Agreed on ballistics, but another major advantage of a shoulder fired weapon is being to place a fast and accurate shot. For an extremely skilled shooter, there isn’t a great difference in shootability between a pistol caliber defensive carbine and a red dot equipped pistol. For an average to less skilled shooter, the pistol caliber carbine is a game changer in terms of placing accurate shots. I see this in every USPSA match.
    I was going to post almost this same thing. For me, originally the PDW type weapon was something for the smaller statured, weaker, less trained shooters in the home to have a "rule 1" gun. The conclusion I came to was a PS90. In retrospect it was the wrong solution as they are probably just as well served with a 10/22 or M&P 15-22.

I had my eyes opened even more when, after building up the PS90, and having my slightly statured daughter compare it to an 11.5" AR, she told me she favored the AR. Which of course ballistically is a superb answer. Sigh.

For those with experience with both: Do a PCC in 9mm and 5.56 SBR recoil the same or is the 5.56 easier to control?
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 03-31-2020 at 05:31 PM.

I'm also interested in seeing how the Brownells BRN-180 works out as either an SBR or braced pistol.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'd rather have a handgun in a real world encounter, unless I could have a rifle caliber weapon. The risks of carrying a PDW size pistol caliber long gun don't outweigh the benefits in accuracy and capacity for me. Long gun = disadvantages for: ease of carry, time to deploy, stowing post incident, grappling, and appearance to the 'public'. As well, I've never seen a PCC that had the reliability of a quality 9mm auto.

Plus 1000.

I love how this thread has exploded. I think we all love these small shoulder fired weapons. They are just cool. Unfortunately, for me, I just don't think they are that useful. I am simply not willing to carry a folded shoulder fired weapon around in a bag or car with me all the time. If I am home I want something bigger and more capable available. Same if I were in the field.

User Tag List