Page 196 of 206 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Reviving this thread to talk about 1913-interface side-folding braces. I am really focused on a Contender application, but I figure this a better place to talk about side-folding 1913-mount braces.

I spent some quality time with Contender parts and the scale this evening. I have a Choate M4 adaptor, which I've been planning to use to install a receiver extension and either Magpul MOE SL-K buttstock or SBA3 brace, depending on what barrel I want to use. I currently do have a Super 16 barrel in .223, which makes it a legal non-SBR. The problem is it all gets heavier than I want it to be. Also, it doesn't fold, so I can't just throw it in a backpack. Yada, yada, all discussed throughout this thread.

I also picked up the Sharps Bros. 3D printed Contender grip, which puts a vertical 1913 interface on the back of the gun, opening up the option of using all those braces. https://sharpsbros.com/t-c-g1-origin...terface-black/ Didn't really like the grip shape at first, but am thinking it's at least worth working with a little. It's really light.

SSK has mentioned they are also working on something in this arena, but I don't have any more info than that.

I've basically been looking for info and reports on the SB 1913 brace and the Sig PCB. Specific comments from earlier in this thread on those two in these quotes. Not sure why the pics aren't included in the quote, but this post (click to the original to see the pics) really makes me want to stay away from anything that works with a receiver extension, such as the Tailhook Mod1:

Curious whether anybody has experience with the aluminum version of the SB1913? The aluminum weighs a little more, but I've been leaning toward it on the assumption it would be stiffer.

I've seen a statement that the SB1913 brace is an inch longer than the Sig PCB.

I've been looking at both butt stocks and braces. I'm not married to the idea of having it be a braced pistol; I think I could live with it either/or reasonably well. That puts the Sig Minimalist and Minimalist-Plus stocks into play (I've found the Minimalist in stock online), as well as the original MCX/MPX Thin Folding Stock, which I've found one retailer web site claiming to still have in stock. I kinda like the simplicity and robustness of all aluminum, small and light. I could stamp a Contender, but don't need to. With a Super 16 barrel, it would come out ~19-20 inches OAL with a folded side folder. The 11-13 oz range for the folder assembly gets me overall where I want to be for the combination.

As noted above, I have contemplated the Tailhook Mod 1. Would need to pair it with a side-folding receiver extension adaptor and RE, which drives the cost up. Gear head has a RE made to place the Tailhook farther out, ~9 inches instead of ~7 of a standard RE, but from what I can tell, they basically have a solid slug of material in the last two inches of the RE, making it quite heavy. One review compared it to a baseball bat. I could throw it in the lathe and bore it out, but it would still have the thickness that I'd like to avoid when folded.

I did find this adaptor for Tailhook to Sig PCB that eliminates the spin, https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/...-MPX-RTT-GR-HD, but buying a PCB, a Tailhook, and that adaptor starts making a stamp look like a good idea.

I guess I'm looking for overall thoughts on:

SB1913 brace and poly vs. aluminum
    Sig PCB
    Sig and any other side-folding legal rifle stocks of quality
    (The Choate side folding Contender stock is not interesting to me.)
    I run a polymer 1913 brace on my charger and it works great. No issues with lockup or spin. Will try it on my solo 300 AR pistol build once I finish my uppers. 7.62x39 & 6.5 Grendel

On my SBR Contender, I run a factory TC polymer youth stock to keep it as lightweight as possible.

I went with the Sig Sauer Folding Brace, and modified it to work with the Tailhook Mod-c from Gear Head Works.

Site Supporter
    Are we still doing backpack guns? Finally took the LAW off my 11.5 and put it on my 5” 300. I think it made both rifles better.

Name:  828DF13F-A4A6-4D02-B2F1-E7748B3C085A.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  37.2 KB
    Name:  33F44A6A-4496-4065-B3A2-E689A3F57080.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  98E79852-E745-405A-8D83-A3EF7FBEEBCB.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  36.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Are we still doing backpack guns? Finally took the LAW off my 11.5 and put it on my 5” 300. I think it made both rifles better.
    7" barrel - don't know why i wrote 5.

My FrainkinRattler 5.56 11.5 BR.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I don't suppose you've also got a bag that would fit that 11.5" + law folder?

Seems like there was some chatter in this thread about that configuration some time ago but this thread is 200 pages so it's not the easiest thing to find.

edit: preferably something like that gregory bag you're using for the 7" and less mispec/tactical looking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

Seems like there was some chatter in this thread about that configuration some time ago but this thread is 200 pages so it's not the easiest thing to find.

edit: preferably something like that gregory bag you're using for the 7" and less mispec/tactical looking.
    Unfortunately, I do not. Never found something like that but I can’t claim to have look very hard. The Gregory is just a lucky coincidence - it’s been my travel backpack for years. This pack has been on my radar for a while in the gray/orange color, but I never got one to test and haven’t actually checked the measurements. Might be worth looking into. https://eberlestock.com/collections/...18537397125171

I carried the 11.5 in the SMG bag you can kind of see under the backpack.

Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 21 holds an 11.5 upper with Surefire 3P flash hider and Law Folder. Tight squeeze but it fits and is low profile. Ran this setup at a Bill Rapier compact carbine class last year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

Not RancidSumo, but I’ve had good results with a Vertx Gamut Checkpoint. Fits an 11.5 LAW-foldered AR w/ an SF3P.

Thanks for the bag suggestions. The Vertx and Mystery Ranch both look good. One of them is even in stock.

User Tag List