Page 195 of 206 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Does anyone have an APC9SD? I’m interested in hearing about people’s experiences with that model as it’s still something I’m interested in picking up.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Here it is.
    Attachment 66569
    I really like that, A LOT. If they made it with the normal storage door found on all the other GF grips, I'd be all over it for my PDW. It's such a convenient place to store a copy of a suppressor stamp (folded up in a zip-loc bag), I won't go without it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I really like that, A LOT. If they made it with the normal storage door found on all the other GF grips, I'd be all over it for my PDW. It's such a convenient place to store a copy of a suppressor stamp (folded up in a zip-loc bag), I won't go without it.
    Yeah I REALLY wish it had storage, but it's a fair trade off.

Site Supporter
    For those of you who have wanted to try CMMG's radial delayed blowback but hate the funky look of Glock mags in a PCC or don't trust their Pmag adapter, they just announced it's available in their MK9 Colt mag format. They're also offering retrofit kits for owners who have their older MK9 lowers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Reviving this thread to talk about 1913-interface side-folding braces. I am really focused on a Contender application, but I figure this a better place to talk about side-folding 1913-mount braces.

I spent some quality time with Contender parts and the scale this evening. I have a Choate M4 adaptor, which I've been planning to use to install a receiver extension and either Magpul MOE SL-K buttstock or SBA3 brace, depending on what barrel I want to use. I currently do have a Super 16 barrel in .223, which makes it a legal non-SBR. The problem is it all gets heavier than I want it to be. Also, it doesn't fold, so I can't just throw it in a backpack. Yada, yada, all discussed throughout this thread.

I also picked up the Sharps Bros. 3D printed Contender grip, which puts a vertical 1913 interface on the back of the gun, opening up the option of using all those braces. https://sharpsbros.com/t-c-g1-origin...terface-black/ Didn't really like the grip shape at first, but am thinking it's at least worth working with a little. It's really light.

SSK has mentioned they are also working on something in this arena, but I don't have any more info than that.

I've basically been looking for info and reports on the SB 1913 brace and the Sig PCB. Specific comments from earlier in this thread on those two in these quotes. Not sure why the pics aren't included in the quote, but this post (click to the original to see the pics) really makes me want to stay away from anything that works with a receiver extension, such as the Tailhook Mod1:

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Some of Sig's original folders for their pistols made the weapon quite thick when folded. So the bag needed to be thicker to accommodate the brace. Here's my MCX Gen 1 pistol with an 11.5" 5.56 upper. I purchased the Rattler upper around the same time and swapped out the uppers. As you can see in the photos, the original pistol brace was quite thick. The other is the SB1913 brace I ran for a short period of time. This made for a more compact set up when folded. Sorry for the shadowing in the pics.
    I'm using the Sig PCB folding brace now. The adaptor to the pistol is more robust. The rail section does not flex as easily as the SB 1913. It is thin but comfortable when firing.
    I have used both the SB 1913 and Sig Pivoting Contour Folding Brace (PCB)

The SB 1913 brace does not rotate which is a positive. However, the attachment to the pistol is not as robust as the Sig version. Additionally the composite rail extending back to the forearm brace flexes more than the Sig

The Sig PCB forearm brace does rotate. This is a draw back in my eyes. The attachment assembly and rail are more robust.

Here's two poor quality photos of the attachment areas for the PCB (larger photo) and the SB1913 I copied from the WEB. The Sig is very stout. As for the rotation, I took mine apart, glued on side down and reassembled. Hasn't moved yet.

JW
    Curious whether anybody has experience with the aluminum version of the SB1913? The aluminum weighs a little more, but I've been leaning toward it on the assumption it would be stiffer.

I've seen a statement that the SB1913 brace is an inch longer than the Sig PCB.

I've been looking at both butt stocks and braces. I'm not married to the idea of having it be a braced pistol; I think I could live with it either/or reasonably well. That puts the Sig Minimalist and Minimalist-Plus stocks into play (I've found the Minimalist in stock online), as well as the original MCX/MPX Thin Folding Stock, which I've found one retailer web site claiming to still have in stock. I kinda like the simplicity and robustness of all aluminum, small and light. I could stamp a Contender, but don't need to. With a Super 16 barrel, it would come out ~19-20 inches OAL with a folded side folder. The 11-13 oz range for the folder assembly gets me overall where I want to be for the combination.

As noted above, I have contemplated the Tailhook Mod 1. Would need to pair it with a side-folding receiver extension adaptor and RE, which drives the cost up. Gear head has a RE made to place the Tailhook farther out, ~9 inches instead of ~7 of a standard RE, but from what I can tell, they basically have a solid slug of material in the last two inches of the RE, making it quite heavy. One review compared it to a baseball bat. I could throw it in the lathe and bore it out, but it would still have the thickness that I'd like to avoid when folded.

I did find this adaptor for Tailhook to Sig PCB that eliminates the spin, https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/...-MPX-RTT-GR-HD, but buying a PCB, a Tailhook, and that adaptor starts making a stamp look like a good idea.

I guess I'm looking for overall thoughts on:

SB1913 brace and poly vs. aluminum
    Sig PCB
    Sig and any other side-folding legal rifle stocks of quality
    (The Choate side folding Contender stock is not interesting to me.)
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-21-2021 at 10:41 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Has anyone shot one of these yet?

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-pistol/

I recently handled the 6.5 Creedmoor version and was surprised at how light and handy it felt. It would probably be a great firearm to throw in the saddle bag of a motorcycle or snow mobile or in the survival kit in a Cessna.

I don't know if it fits into the common definition/feature set of a PDW but it might work well in the role. Maybe more of a back woods or rural PDW?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nope. And with a 12.5-inch barrel and muzzle break in a .308-based cartridge, I don't want to.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Has anyone shot one of these yet?

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-pistol/

I recently handled the 6.5 Creedmoor version and was surprised at how light and handy it felt. It would probably be a great firearm to throw in the saddle bag of a motorcycle or snow mobile or in the survival kit in a Cessna.

I don't know if it fits into the common definition/feature set of a PDW but it might work well in the role. Maybe more of a back woods or rural PDW?

Well, 6.5 Creedmoor would not be first choice, among the available offered, for a pistol, but, yes, very much yes, I’d seriously consider this option. (I already have .308, .223/5.56, and .300 BLK/AAC weapons, and, I do not remember the 6.5 being a best choice for minimal-length rifle barrels.)

I would want to see significant advantages, compared to a Uinta Precision upper unit, that fits an AR15 lower. The Christensen Arms option is probably lighter in weight, and slimmer, but I would want to confirm that. (Uinta Precision has been on my radar for some time; I have not handled or seen one.)

Edited to add: Yeah, it would be a niche weapon, but that is all I really look at, anymore, anyway.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-22-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I do not remember the 6.5 being a best choice for minimal-length rifle barrels...
    A brief interweb search shows something like 2,200 FPS with a 147gr bullet. Sort of 7.62x39-ish at that point.

There are, obviously, lighter weight options. Something in the 125gr range may yield 2,450 FPS from a 12" barrel. Hmmm. That's even more 7.62x39 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Reviving this thread to talk about 1913-interface side-folding braces. I am really focused on a Contender application, but I figure this a better place to talk about side-folding 1913-mount braces.

I spent some quality time with Contender parts and the scale this evening. I have a Choate M4 adaptor, which I've been planning to use to install a receiver extension and either Magpul MOE SL-K buttstock or SBA3 brace, depending on what barrel I want to use. I currently do have a Super 16 barrel in .223, which makes it a legal non-SBR. The problem is it all gets heavier than I want it to be. Also, it doesn't fold, so I can't just throw it in a backpack. Yada, yada, all discussed throughout this thread.

I also picked up the Sharps Bros. 3D printed Contender grip, which puts a vertical 1913 interface on the back of the gun, opening up the option of using all those braces. https://sharpsbros.com/t-c-g1-origin...terface-black/ Didn't really like the grip shape at first, but am thinking it's at least worth working with a little. It's really light.

SSK has mentioned they are also working on something in this arena, but I don't have any more info than that.

I've basically been looking for info and reports on the SB 1913 brace and the Sig PCB. Specific comments from earlier in this thread on those two in these quotes. Not sure why the pics aren't included in the quote, but this post (click to the original to see the pics) really makes me want to stay away from anything that works with a receiver extension, such as the Tailhook Mod1:

Curious whether anybody has experience with the aluminum version of the SB1913? The aluminum weighs a little more, but I've been leaning toward it on the assumption it would be stiffer.

I've seen a statement that the SB1913 brace is an inch longer than the Sig PCB.

I've been looking at both butt stocks and braces. I'm not married to the idea of having it be a braced pistol; I think I could live with it either/or reasonably well. That puts the Sig Minimalist and Minimalist-Plus stocks into play (I've found the Minimalist in stock online), as well as the original MCX/MPX Thin Folding Stock, which I've found one retailer web site claiming to still have in stock. I kinda like the simplicity and robustness of all aluminum, small and light. I could stamp a Contender, but don't need to. With a Super 16 barrel, it would come out ~19-20 inches OAL with a folded side folder. The 11-13 oz range for the folder assembly gets me overall where I want to be for the combination.

As noted above, I have contemplated the Tailhook Mod 1. Would need to pair it with a side-folding receiver extension adaptor and RE, which drives the cost up. Gear head has a RE made to place the Tailhook farther out, ~9 inches instead of ~7 of a standard RE, but from what I can tell, they basically have a solid slug of material in the last two inches of the RE, making it quite heavy. One review compared it to a baseball bat. I could throw it in the lathe and bore it out, but it would still have the thickness that I'd like to avoid when folded.

I did find this adaptor for Tailhook to Sig PCB that eliminates the spin, https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/...-MPX-RTT-GR-HD, but buying a PCB, a Tailhook, and that adaptor starts making a stamp look like a good idea.

I guess I'm looking for overall thoughts on:

SB1913 brace and poly vs. aluminum
    Sig PCB
    Sig and any other side-folding legal rifle stocks of quality
    (The Choate side folding Contender stock is not interesting to me.)
    No trigger time on it yet but i have the sb aluminum 1913 brace on the rattler. Lock up seems solid, does not lock in the folded position but is not loose. Not sure if its an issue with all braces or just this one but it activates the bolt release when in the folded position. I've got no experience with the sig pcb so can't compare in that regard. I have it mounted as low as possible on the 1913 adapter as it seems like it would be really easy to skin your knuckles when working the charging handle. Hopefully I'll be able to sight in the t1 I've got on it Friday but currently my supply of supersonics is *very* low so won't be able to really put it through the paces.

User Tag List