Page 187 of 206 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

This is what they look like in hand after gel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    A post from another thread by a forum member that has operational experience with 300 BLK:
    I believe (and your quoted RKI seems to support it) that the military guys are using .300Blk guns as short range sniper rifles and go for headshots. Heavy BTHP bullets work just fine for that, with supers as a secondary ability if the gun needs to be used as a longer range carbine. Development of subsonic expanding ammo is an add on thing not part of the original intent for the cartridge.

I have noticed that in hunting situations the .300Blk rings my ears less with unsuppressed supers than 5.56mm does, but that’s in a deer blind and not a bedroom or hallway. My 5.56 house gun sits staged with a set of electronic ear pro hanging off its magazine in case of need.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I believe (and your quoted RKI seems to support it) that the military guys are using .300Blk guns as short range sniper rifles and go for headshots. Heavy BTHP bullets work just fine for that, with supers as a secondary ability if the gun needs to be used as a longer range carbine. Development of subsonic expanding ammo is an add on thing not part of the original intent for the cartridge.
    The people in question are proficient enough to simply take headshots at close ranges such as inside structures. No “sniper rifle” application involved. In addition to the obvious terminal effects, are practical reasons to take headshots such as body armor, suicide vests etc.

It’s .300 whisper wildcat round origins aside, the original practical application of 300 BO was as a replacement for and improvement on the performance of suppressed 9mm sub machine guns firing sub sonic 9mm ammunition. 300 BO does this very well, essentially doubling the terminal ballistics and terminal performance. The ability to switch between suppressed SMG performance and real rifle performance by switching magazines is a bonus. Beyond that people are way overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I had David Stark the owner of Discrete Ballistics in class recently and I have to say I’m pretty impressed with his 188 gr solid copper Selous round.

https://youtu.be/c4KtcBeoBuU
    Good to know. Thanks! It is interesting to see that one specifies a barrel length, when placing an order. It seems that they tailor the load to either pistol or 16” barrels.

I may order a batch in December or January. (November is a month for my budget to take a breather.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The people in question are proficient enough to simply take headshots at close ranges such as inside structures. No “sniper rifle” application involved. In addition to the obvious terminal effects, are practical reasons to take headshots such as body armor, suicide vests
    I’d say that putting a match bullet from an suppressed rifle thru an unaware opponent’s eggnog using night vision optics for precision is a LOT like short range sniping. But you can describe it how ever you like. The original reason for suppressed Whisper, then Blackout was sentry elimination.

Site Supporter
    I’d say that putting a match bullet from an suppressed rifle thru an unaware opponent’s eggnog using night vision optics for precision is a LOT like short range sniping. But you can describe it how ever you like. The original reason for suppressed Whisper, then Blackout was sentry elimination.
    Shooting with a high degree of accuracy isn't sniping. It's just competence. Sentry elimination as you describe is only one (less common) reason for use of suppressed subsonic systems but you do you.

Site Supporter
    Shooting with a high degree of accuracy isn't sniping. It's just competence. Sentry elimination as you describe is only one (less common) reason for use of suppressed subsonic systems. Think of it as a "souped up" SMG instead of a "rifle" and the applications make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Shooting with a high degree of accuracy isn't sniping. It's just competence. Sentry elimination as you describe is only one (less common) reason for use of suppressed subsonic systems. Think of it as a "souped up" SMG instead of a "rifle" and the applications make more sense.
    You’re stuck on my description as sniping and glossing over my point. Subsonic .300Blk wasn’t intended to be an expanding round in its original form and affordable technology to reliably do so hasn’t presented itself.

What was originally asked here was subs vs supers for HD, most home owners aren’t high speed low drag operators with night vision and shoothouse experience. Probably why Doc GKR doesn’t recommend subs for HD.

Site Supporter
    You’re stuck on my description as sniping and glossing over my point. Subsonic .300Blk wasn’t intended to be an expanding round in its original form and affordable technology to reliably do so hasn’t presented itself.

What was originally asked here was subs vs supers for HD, most home owners aren’t high speed low drag operators with night vision and shoothouse experience. Probably why Doc GKR doesn’t recommend subs for HD.
    If somebody wanted to spend the money to develop a 30 CAL equivalent of bonded handgun bullets it’s feasible, But it won’t happen until someone with a big enough checkbook rights a requirement for it. But even then it’s still a big pistol round in a rifle format.I do agree though that sub sonic 300 blackout is a very specialized round which performs it’s intended purpose very well

@DocGKR can speak for himself, However I recall he generally does not recommend pistol caliber(Or otherwise neutered )long guns and sub sonic 300 black is essentially a big pistol round.
    Largely for the same reasons he favors bonded or equivalent pistol ammo for home defense, the potential need to shoot through intermediate barriers like furniture drywall etc.As I recall he stated a couple specific cases where those types of intermediate barriers were issues in civilian home defense situation.

Does a LAW folder add-on work legally as a brace on a pistol, or does it imply "stock" and therefore it's attached to a rifle?

User Tag List