Page 14 of 206 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

@Wake27, @Corse, @deflave,

Both 55gr and 64gr Gold Dot will still reliably expand down to 1800fps. The 64gr will apparently hit 1900-1950fps out of a 7.5 barrel.

Given that, I'm sure there's other rounds that will still perform out of a 7.5", even if limited to inside 100 yards. I think the TSX is one of them.

ETA: I'd also like to point out that in 1994, a 4.5" AR was used to great effect by CIA Ground Branch Task Force RECIPROCITY for an in-extremis hostage rescue of an ODA in Columbia.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Both 55gr and 64gr Gold Dot will still reliably expand down to 1800fps. The 64gr will apparently hit 1900-1950fps out of a 7.5 barrel.

Given that, I'm sure there's other rounds that will still perform out of a 7.5", even if limited to inside 100 yards. I think the TSX is one of them.

ETA: I'd also like to point out that in 1994, a 4.5" AR was used to great effect by CIA Ground Branch Task Force RECIPROCITY for an in-extremis hostage rescue of an ODA in Columbia.
    Gracias. Was not aware of that, 4.5 sounds crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Gracias. Was not aware of that, 4.5 sounds crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please google RECIPROCITY in context to Columbia in 1994.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Any experiences with the Uzi Pro? Seems like it would fill this niche well.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    My contribution. 11.5" AR pistol in 5.56. It is my PDW because it's the cheapest rifle I own. Assembled PSA lower is leftover from a DSG kit build that is now on a different SBR'd lower. Upper is a black friday $220 PSA with $40 magpul handguards. Added a FailZero BCG (also a leftover), radian CH, and a PA microdot + ADM QD mount I got used on Arfcom for $150 combined. Has a $7 magpul cantilever rail if i wanna throw one of my TLR-1s on it.

Its light, short, and it successfully fired fed and extracted 180 rounds so I trust that it works ish. Most importantly, if it gets stolen, I will not be out very much money. The nicer SBR'd 11.5"s would only be used if I was to leave Denver with no plan to return.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    If a 50ish grain 5.56 load is stepping out at 2K or better, it's going to knock dicks in the dirt under 100yds. Guaranteed to leave more than a scratch at 200yds as well. I've seen deer taken with .224 bullets and estimated speeds were between 1500 and 2000fps at impact. The bullet did its job just fine. If one has to compromise between size and effectiveness at range, that's just all part of the decision making process. But I'd need to see a shit ton of data before I deemed a 7.5" 5.56 data "ineffective."

I don't know why anybody would buy a Blackout to run supersonic ammo, but to each their own.
    Because it doesn’t suck as bad out of a short barrel? At 2k, if that expansion threshold is correct, it would be 80yrds for a 556 gold dot. Good enough for your hallway.

110 TSX has a threshold of around 1300, based what I could find. That is about 300 yrds, from a 8-9” barrel. A lot more room for error.

There is no way a 7.5” 556 is ideal. A 300 in the same length makes more sense, then there is the subsonic fun. But if you like to thrown fireballs and make noise, go with that shorty 556.

ETA: not going to use a 4.5” ar for anything rifle caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

From a helicopter, no less. IIRC DSS did not do nearly as well.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

So, just to update my post. Thanks to this thread I have:

1. Ordered the navy lower for the K
    2. Emailed Hansohn Brothers about .300 BLK gun and suppressors combos
    3. Decided to move forward with suppressor purchases in 9mm and 5.56 and update guns to accept them.

All the jokes about this place being an expensive hangout aren’t exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    So, just to update my post. Thanks to this thread I have:

1. Ordered the navy lower for the K
    2. Emailed Hansohn Brothers about .300 BLK gun and suppressors combos
    3. Decided to move forward with suppressor purchases in 9mm and 5.56 and update guns to accept them.

All the jokes about this place being an expensive hangout aren’t exaggerated.
    Just don't read the "Teach me about STI's" thread...

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Just don't read the "Teach me about STI's" thread...
    Or the action rifle thread. I can only blame myself.

User Tag List