Page 101 of 206 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    At least you’ve got that, my poor ass is the one who’s going to likely be assembling a PSA gun. The Dirt Squirrel referenced in an earlier video looks fun.

So I’m getting the idea that the consensus around here is that unless I’m planning to run a can that I oughtn’t bother with 300BLK. Why is that? Is it because of the shorter barrel and the likelihood of it being dangerously loud?
    Not dangerous. Just unpleasant/not fun/tooth rattly loud.

Also, some silencer manufacturers will not warranty a can used on a sub-7” .300BLK depending in ammo. Also, apparently sub-8” .300BLKs may be more marginal running subsonic ammo and especially with a can on the end.

So, if you choose a .300BLK - be aware you’ll probably need to double-up on ears and you may have to tune it to run subsonic ammo in particular.

Oh and also that the sub-8” guns may have a smaller range of effective ammo types (i.e., only one or two rounds that are good performers).

So all of those caveats in place - an 8” .300BLK with a LAW folder will get you to around 18” folded up and not have the issues a 5.5” Rattler might have.

Craig hit - the Rattler is kind of niche weapon, but if you’re in that niche, you’re going to like it. I don’t think I’m in that niche. I also don’t think I want to be limited to a couple of choices for terminally effective anti-personnel ammo. I’m leaning the other way from a 5-8” barrel in a PCC, I know virtually every decent hollowpoint will get me 15-18” of penetration, full expansion, and minimal fragmentation. Lighter bullets (e.g. <115 grain) at +P and +P+ velocities might be overdriven, but any current “list” duty/carry ammo should be as near to 100% as it is possible to get in the world of terminal ballistics.

Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    At least you’ve got that, my poor ass is the one who’s going to likely be assembling a PSA gun. The Dirt Squirrel referenced in an earlier video looks fun.

So I’m getting the idea that the consensus around here is that unless I’m planning to run a can that I oughtn’t bother with 300BLK. Why is that? Is it because of the shorter barrel and the likelihood of it being dangerously loud?
    That’s not my opinion. If I am going to have a suppressor on an AR, it will be 5.56, and 10.5-11.5” or longer. But that’s a fairly large gun. The attraction of a 7.5” 300BLK pistol is that it’s small and is a real rifle caliber. If I have to use it defensively, it might have to be without earpro, which would suck.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That’s not my opinion. If I am going to have a suppressor on an AR, it will be 5.56, and 10.5-11.5” or longer. But that’s a fairly large gun. The attraction of a 7.5” 300BLK pistol is that it’s small and is a real rifle caliber. If I have to use it defensively, it might have to be without earpro, which would suck.
    Wolf SD-9, Vox K, or a Omega 9k. I’m really, really not kidding about the PF discount from @Hansohn Brothers, PM him, and see.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How many pages ago did we decide that I’m a dirty poor for using a Scorpion Evo and when is Kevin delivering my LAW folder for my .300BO?
    We decided that in the chainsaw thread, then withdrew the “dirty” part in the bidet thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a fairly large bag you're going to need to pack it.

The Mk18 isn't really a PDW.

A Mk18 with a LAW folder barely fits into the working definition that many of us have agreed upon in the thread....and that's 5" shorter than the X95 you're looking at.
    I think that means that 20 inches overall is the maximum acceptable length with the stock folded.

The SIG Rattler is 16" folded.

A quick Google search showed many briefcases 16-18 inches wide.Name:  DuluthPack.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  17.0 KB

Wolf SD-9, Vox K, or a Omega 9k. I’m really, really not kidding about the PF discount from @Hansohn Brothers, PM him, and see.
    Do I really need 3 cans in jail with HB? Maybe I'll order another one if they manage to find me some Dead Air mounts... I'm still trying to get a damn Q brake for my Vox S. Have the can part, need the barrel part...

If I needed another can, I’d definitely take advantage!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Not dangerous. Just unpleasant/not fun/tooth rattly loud.

Also, some silencer manufacturers will not warranty a can used on a sub-7” .300BLK depending in ammo. Also, apparently sub-8” .300BLKs may be more marginal running subsonic ammo and especially with a can on the end.

So, if you choose a .300BLK - be aware you’ll probably need to double-up on ears and you may have to tune it to run subsonic ammo in particular.

Oh and also that the sub-8” guns may have a smaller range of effective ammo types (i.e., only one or two rounds that are good performers).

So all of those caveats in place - an 8” .300BLK with a LAW folder will get you to around 18” folded up and not have the issues a 5.5” Rattler might have.

Craig hit - the Rattler is kind of niche weapon, but if you’re in that niche, you’re going to like it. I don’t think I’m in that niche. I also don’t think I want to be limited to a couple of choices for terminally effective anti-personnel ammo. I’m leaning the other way from a 5-8” barrel in a PCC, I know virtually every decent hollowpoint will get me 15-18” of penetration, full expansion, and minimal fragmentation. Lighter bullets (e.g. <115 grain) at +P and +P+ velocities might be overdriven, but any current “list” duty/carry ammo should be as near to 100% as it is possible to get in the world of terminal ballistics.
    ETA: It dawned on me after posting that you were likely talking about "marginal" performance as it pertained to reliability with subs, not ballistics.

Looking at the delta between 16", 10.5", 9", and 8" barrel data for Hornady Sub-X 190gr, I can't see another inch or so making much more of a difference. I won't say the 5.5" Rattler wouldn't suffer some, but clearly the 7.5" and 7" offerings wouldn't be much different than the 8" here.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.29.19 PM.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  63.8 KB

Here is the Sub-X bullet and gel using a 9" KAC. With the 8" only dropping 9fps, it's probably fair to say a 7-7.5" barrel would get nearly all of this performance.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.28.40 PM.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  35.9 KB

Link to data... https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammu...r-sub-x-tap#!/

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If I needed another can, I’d definitely take advantage!
    Stop talking crazy. Of course you need a short .30 can.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Do I really need 3 cans in jail with HB? Maybe I'll order another one if they manage to find me some Dead Air mounts... I'm still trying to get a damn Q brake for my Vox S. Have the can part, need the barrel part...
    The Griffin stuff is awesome and Hansohn has it for a great price.
    #RESIST

User Tag List