Page 42 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Re: TP9, is there anything that can be easily done to clean up the trigger? The only sample I've found had a pull worse than my AUG.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

For anyone interested, Steve Fisher is currently on IG live going over some of the 9mm PDW options discussed in this thread.

Removed.
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-03-2020 at 08:24 PM.

With the camera on my trusty iPhone 6+ finally giving up the ghost after five years, I'm forced to use the selfie camera (challenging) which isn't nearly as good. So, these are the best I can get combined with some heavy filtering due to sucky exposure.

DDM4 PDW in GoRuck GR1. I've used this backpack daily for last few years. Angles/perspective are a bit off giving the illusion that it's bigger than the bag, but it fits perfectly with no stretching or distortion of the pack.

The grip has to go, as it's too big and covered in rubber which creates a snag hazard. I'll likely go BCM Gunfighter, just so I can store a copy of my suppressor stamp in it.

Last edited by StraitR; 04-04-2020 at 08:27 AM.

@StraitR, give the Magpul K grip a shot if you haven't. They're actually pretty functional, in addition to being perfectly proportioned for PDWs.

How do you like the PDW brace setup?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @StraitR, give the Magpul K grip a shot if you haven't. They're actually pretty functional, in addition to being perfectly proportioned for PDWs.

How do you like the PDW brace setup?
    The K was actually my first choice for size and function, but is without a door to close in a copy of my stamp, if I'm not mistaken?

Sadly, with all the current craziness affecting work and home schedules for the last three weeks (my job is busier than ever, and Mrs. StraitR is an RN at major metro children's hospital working nights - mix in 8yo and 4yo at home 24/7), I've not been able to get out and shoot it so it's hard to say. I've had a couple times set aside, but something always seems to come up.

In the meantime, I've been going ham on manipulations and dry fire though, and in that sense I like the PDW stock more than I thought I would. I can reliable deploy it to it's furthest position quickly, easily, and reliably. It doesn't seem to poke me in the cheek like other PDW stocks have done, and it feels like a solid design that's been executed well. Of course, all of this is subject to change after some use.

Hope to get it zeroed tomorrow at a buddies property, and do some minimal shooting drills (due to ammo constraints). After all this is over, I plan to run it in one of the monthly carbine matches. So, time will tell, and I'll certainly keep the thread abreast of my findings and impressions.

Do we have a definition of PDW? OAL? weight? Barrel length? Caliber? Does it have to be a braced pistol or can it be a real-life SBR? does it have to be suppressed?

Are we defining a use case and then going looking for a tool or are we wanting to buy something new and backing into a need?

And I’m very curious about how/if people are securing them in vehicles and thoughts on deploying them from said location when needed?

I’m looking hard for an excuse to buy one of these, and kind of regretting buying the rifle version already.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...stol-gray.html

ETA:
    I think maybe this one instead...
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165458004.html
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-04-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Do we have a definition of PDW? OAL? weight? Barrel length? Caliber? Does it have to be a braced pistol or can it be a real-life SBR? does it have to be suppressed?

Are we defining a use case and then going looking for a tool or are we wanting to buy something new and backing into a need?

And I’m very curious about how/if people are securing them in vehicles and thoughts on deploying them from said location when needed?

I’m looking hard for an excuse to buy one of these, and kind of regretting buying the rifle version already.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...stol-gray.html

For the purpose of this discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    General thread thoughts....

I wasn't very clear in my original post, I think "PDW" is a broad stroke, covered in different ways for different people. It doesn't have to be some current technical definition. Scorpion's, subguns in general, Krinks, 10.3" or whatever AR pistols or SBR's all fall into my thought process for the purpose of this thread. What are you toting around for your Personal Defense Weapon that's above and beyond what you have tucked in your belt? That's what I had in mind for the discussion here.
    ETA: I grabbed the above DD PDW to have a long gun with me while out with the family, whenever possible. I was curious if others were doing it, and how they're doing it, so started the discussion.

Obviously, for the purpose of portability and convenience, size is a factor. But, while smaller can be easier to have with you, there is a subjective sweet spot for power and shootability, just like the EDC handgun. Everything being a compromise, size, caliber, etc, "PDW" can be whatever you make work for yourself. That's the discussion.

It's gone off the tracks a couple times, like any "this is what works for me" thread does, but it's turned out to be a much better (and bigger) thread than I had imagined it would.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.

I recently purchased a couple BCM lowers for the purpose of building "Others". My ARs in CT have been classified as Assault Weapons and have various restrictions when it come to their mobility. One being they are long guns prohibited by law from being loaded in a vehicle. Interestingly an "Other" is not a long gun.

Requirements to build an other: Barrel must be longer than 12". Must have a forward vertical hand grip. Can't have a stock but a pistol brace is good to go. OAL must be over 26" folding buffer tube is out.

So I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide how to move forward with my lowers. Really only looking at the BCM product line in 5.56.

11.5" upper with a pinned and welded muzzle device making the barrel length legal (over 12") with the intent of getting a can or maybe not.
    12.5" upper with more flexibility as far as the muzzle goes.
    14.5" upper same unrestricted muzzle device options plus the added velocity of the longer barrel.

I keep vacillating between the 3 options. I keep running up and down the option list based on terminal ballistics, compactness, and questioning reliability (dwell time) as the barrel gets shorter. I've never delved into the SBR world so I have zero experience with an AR shorter than 16".

For the time being I added a forward vertical grip to a 16" BCM upper and attached to my new BCM Other lower.

I need advice to help me sort out the best option or at least explain any real advantages or drawbacks 11.5" v. 12.5" v. 14.5" so I make a stinking decision and pull the trigger. Actually not really in a hurry to do anything. I don't need to do this in a hurry. The big factor was getting the lowers so I have them in case the state clamps down on them.
    Last edited by JohnO; 04-04-2020 at 10:03 AM.

@JohnO, my favorite upper, and the one I use for home defense, is a BCM lightweight fluted 11.5" with a suppressor. If I was not going to suppress, I would get the 14.5" lightweight hammer forged.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List