Page 202 of 206 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I think they want to be able to run the tape switch at 12 o'clock and avoid illuminator splash off of that thumb used to activate the laser/illuminator. I get it for very short guns, but it makes less sense once you get to a 10.5 gun where you have at least a 9 inch rail.
    Again, I admit I'm going off pics on the web and have not seen this in person. But did you see the photo in the reddit link? It looks like there is plenty of room for all that and more under the laser - even if wearing gloves. I've got long arms and plenty of trigger time on SBR's so I can appreciate feeling cramped. Heck my personal 300BLK SBR has an 8.5" bbl and I hope to snag a Honey Badger some day, so maybe I will embrace this contraption one day.

Do you have inside knowledge? Any chance you can tell us what the height over bore for the optic is? It looks like it's taller than the KAC Sky Scraper which I think is 2.66" or something.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Do you have inside knowledge? Any chance you can tell us what the height over bore for the optic is? It looks like it's taller than the KAC Sky Scraper which I think is 2.66" or something.
    Nope, I just saw a post somewhere where one of the GBRS guys was explaining why they put the laser there. I don't really get going higher than the Unity 2.26" with the optic, although they might have made it so it clears the laser with units other than the NGAL/Raid. If it is 2.7"+, I imagine some type of riser is a necessity to have any face contact with the stock.

My PDWish stable has changed a bit with the addition of a Rattler. And I have a second small 9mm coming, a MPX-K. This place costs me too much money.

Now that I have the Rattler I’m probably not going to rebarrel the 7.5” 5.56.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

GT reviews the full-auto BT MP9:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The crappy trigger is probably less of an issue if you only have to press it once and then a whole bunch of bullets get fired.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Project that I just assembled. The paint you see on the lower is leftover Aluma-Hyde; this lower used to be part of a Filipino MSSR build.

When my agency ditched the Colt 635 for the Daniel Defense Mk18, I thought we should've kept the Colts and turned them into a PDW to complement the Mk18s. This is pretty much my vision of that. This has a 4" Foxtrot Mike upper, Magpul K-grip, Hahn Precision mag well adapter, and Strike Industries PDW stabilizer with a 9mm PDW buffer setup. The SI setup seems to be well made, and has spring loaded deployment via push button. For my optic, I'd like to source an ACRO P2 on a scalar works mount. This will be SBRd so I can add a VFG.

As for a light, I'm thinking a Streamlight RM1 w/laser, using the tape switch on the VFG for efficient use. I don't want to put a WML on the side of the rail, and I've already sized up my lights with offset mounts and they're still way too bulky for this diminutive gun. I'm thinking an RM1 at the 12 O'Clock position (replacing the BUIS) would give me a low-profile WML with the laser functioning as a backup aiming device. My only thought is whether the extra bump of the laser on the RM1 mounted upside down on the rail would interfere with my sight picture through an ACRO P2 on scalarworks mount.

Thoughts?Name:  received_724061938960338.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  24.3 KBName:  received_598912731670195.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  20.4 KB
    Last edited by TGS; 08-06-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Project that I just assembled. The paint you see on the lower is leftover Aluma-Hyde; this lower used to be part of a Filipino MSSR build.

When my agency ditched the Colt 635 for the Daniel Defense Mk18, I thought we should've kept the Colts and turned them into a PDW to complement the Mk18s. This is pretty much my vision of that. This has a 4" Foxtrot Mike upper, Magpul K-grip, Hahn Precision mag well adapter, and Strike Industries PDW stabilizer with a 9mm PDW buffer setup. The SI setup seems to be well made, and has spring loaded deployment via push button. For my optic, I'd like to source an ACRO P2 on a scalar works mount. This will be SBRd so I can add a VFG.

As for a light, I'm thinking a Streamlight RM1 w/laser, using the tape switch on the VFG for efficient use. I don't want to put a WML on the side of the rail, and I've already sized up my lights with offset mounts and they're still way too bulky for this diminutive gun. I'm thinking an RM1 at the 12 O'Clock position (replacing the BUIS) would give me a low-profile WML with the laser functioning as a backup aiming device. My only thought is whether the extra bump of the laser on the RM1 mounted upside down on the rail would interfere with my sight picture through an ACRO P2 on scalarworks mount.

Thoughts?Name:  received_724061938960338.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  24.3 KBName:  received_598912731670195.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  20.4 KB
    Very cool build. What magazines do you prefer for the Colt pattern guns? I've got a Colt 6951 on the way and need to lay in a supply of magazines.

Name:  20220806_202005.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  46.3 KB

Have a pistol buffer tube I need to I stall that is round and smooth, no sharp edges. Rail is cramped but allows a good push pull/tension on the gun. Upper and lower are aero. Bcm lower parts kit, springco buffer and spring set up, and the holosun is a just a place keeper for now. Haven't shot it yet but it folds down and fits into a pretty regular mystery ranch back pack with a bank robber chest rig.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Very cool build. What magazines do you prefer for the Colt pattern guns? I've got a Colt 6951 on the way and need to lay in a supply of magazines.
    Thanks for the compliment!

From my reading, I would wait on buying a bunch of mags until you test a given brand in your particular gun.

I don't have a preferred brand, yet...I literally got the PDW stabilizer in today AFTER going to the range and assembled it, haven't fired it. I haven't even loaded up dummy rounds to check basic function, yet.

I will say the Metalform mags (OEM style) will double as effective batons once you run out of ammo, though...they're pretty beefy. Duramags are substantially lighter in weight. I've only bought 20s, no 32s, being a PDW and all.

In the grand scheme of things, these are not great guns. Okay, but a lot of flaws compared to modern guns like the MPX, APC9, and GHM9. I think one of the reasons I have nostalgia for them is just because it's sort of ridiculous how long we did keep them in service. A few years ago, I remember picking up a prisoner at Central booking in Manhattan, and a NYC DOC tactical team was conducting a prisoner transfer. While I waited in the sallyport for them to finish up, I was blown away to see them also still carrying Colt SMGs. These things are just goofy as fuck to the point I like them...and I guess at some point, you develop an affection for anything you've ever been issued.

Doing anything fun with the 6951? DOE build, maybe?

I'm thinking I'll shoot it in stock form for awhile and then decide whether to SBR the lower and install a 10.5" barrel. The DOE guns look pretty cool but I'd probably go with a quad-1913 rail so I can mount light/laser, etc.

User Tag List