Page 34 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That’s what I do with mine. I also use it at steel matches. That’s when it really shines for me over a traditional handgun.
    Well that option may have been the tipping point to buy one once the panic/absurdity dies down, time to review some older post's now in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Well that option may have been the tipping point to buy one once the panic/absurdity dies down, time to review some older post's now in this thread.
    Lol! Shooting a PCC in a steel match feels like cheating. Some organizers will even let you pay a little extra to shoot both your pistol and PCC.

The matches have also allowed me to vet extended mags like the ETS 40rd and the Glock OEM 24 and 33 round variants.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like the whole point of the 9mm PDW is to be able to shoot better than with your pistol. If you can not shoot significantly better with it, you might as well just have your pistol or a second pistol in your pack. I think this is a situation where size matters — smaller is easier to carry, but there can be a point where too small makes it hard to shoot. The Honey Badger is an example, as while it carried a bit smaller than an eight inch .300 AR, for me, it shot like an itty bitty thing.

So, for those that have these, what drills are you doing to evaluate performance? I routinely pull the APC9 Pro out near the end of a session, and shoot the same arrays I have been doing with my pistol. As the distance grows, the APC’s advantage increases.
    For me, I agree that the pistol makes more sense for all the reasons you state in the vast majority of circumstances. But in my case I have other family members who don’t train like I do to consider. I can legally carry the K when traveling in State and ,as you know, it gets tiny if a bit heavy in comparison to others.

With a handgun, my wife can hit a 5x8 card at 10 yards safely on a sunny day with no time limit. With any complexity added, let alone speed and distance, she quickly becomes nearly a liability. She is not interested in training beyond that. When I put the K in her hands she fairly effectively lays hate within 25 yards. For me, that’s enough value to drag the thing around.

Shooting daily, and with my Carry Optics rig, there isn’t a big difference in my performance at pistol distances, with my competition pistol and the APC9 Pro sized PDW. The difference is greater, comparing the APC9 and an iron sighted EDC pistol. I just got back from the range and filmed one run on our practice array with my LEM P2000, followed by three progressively further runs with the APC9.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For the APC owners: If you were buying an APC9 Pro right now, assuming every variant was in stock and cost the same, would you buy the regular 8” barrel sized one or the 4” barrel K one and why?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    For the APC owners: If you were buying an APC9 Pro right now, assuming every variant was in stock and cost the same, would you buy the regular 8” barrel sized one or the 4” barrel K one and why?
    I would get the standard model, which has a 175mm barrel, which is about 6.8 inches, as it falls between an HK SP5 or SP5K. It is hardly bigger than the SP5K with its barrel shroud. The APC9K Pro appears so small, in front of the magazine well, that I think it will cramp your shooting ability. To me, the big question is the model for Glock or B&T magazines?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This makes me sad.
    Maybe a STI in your future?

Site Supporter
    Again, Master Class or similar pistol shooters may not see the value of a 9mm PCC like PDW - but average pistol shooters seem to shoot dramatically better with a 9mm PCC. When I have friends or family that are not "shooters" come to the range with me, they all shoot dramatically better with my SIG MPX or one of my AR9s.

In recent combat action in the Middle East, a number of uniformed members never or hardly ever set foot outside a FOB. In some cases they were armed with a M9 pistol or a M16 and sometimes a M4. Most of these non Combat Arms soldiers would be well served with a reliable PCC like weapon - I like the SIG MPX. No, the SIG MPX 9mm is not a rifle and will not defeat armor but it beats a pistol or a rifle locked in a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’d concur with GJM. The “K” is too short for my liking. I have long arms and prefer to keep my hands away from magwells in case things ever go very wrong with ammo. The “K” als doesn’t leave much room for placing lights and slings. My only regret was not waiting for the factory FDE version that I didn’t know was coming. I always prefer guns in colors other than black.

I just looked at my log book. I only have 740 rounds through my APC9 PRO. All of that is with the Glock lower and a mix of Glock and ETS mags. Also a mix of FMJ and JHP. No malfunctions to date.

If one doesn’t have a stack of Glock magazines at home - is there a compelling reason to opt for the Glock mag lower over the B&T mag lower?

For a $2500 gun, I’m kind of ASSuming cost of magazines isn’t a big deal overall.

User Tag List