Thread: Palmetto JAKL?

Palmetto JAKL?

Just curious because they pop up in their marketing emails - what are these about?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Lower cost, next generation AK/AR hybrid. Think AR lower parts comparability with AK piston. Originally designed as a short barrel pistol to be used with a stabilizing brace since its barrel is 10.5”. Uses a long stroke piston and has a non-reciprocating charging handle.

Reports seem to be that it’s reasonable well made, accurate enough for fights under 300 meters, but a little heavier than a comparable AR and the weight is a bit forward (probably because of the piston).

It sits with the Bren 2, MCX, XCR, Carmel, etc. as next generation SCAR alternatives. I believe that the gun only comes in 10.5” barrel so it makes the most sense for people going the SBR route since the pistol brace is no longer an option. Many of the other alternatives are a bit more expensive but come in 16” carbine versions that make sense for people who want a folding stock w/o the SBR stamp.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

They may be expanding, they now show 10.5”, 13.7”, 14.5” and 16” options in 5.56 and I think 8.5” in .300 BLK. It looks like an interesting design.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    They may be expanding, they now show 10.5”, 13.7”, 14.5” and 16” options in 5.56 and I think 8.5” in .300 BLK. It looks like an interesting design.
    Budget SCAR /MCX type rifle. Seem to get better reviews than their ARs.

I think they are really cool. To me it is less of a piston driven AR and more of a modernized AK. You get the action of an AK with the ergos of an AR, at a price far lower than a high quality AK today. Thinking about it in that way the weight and balance are perfectly reasonable, it is going to be much lighter than any AK with a folding stock and rail.

Having said all that, if thinking about a serious weapon platform, personally I would go with a BRN180 instead, or maybe the FM15 if you are on a PSA level budget. Either of those are fairly close to an AR in weight and balance, but are piston driven self-contained uppers that can fire with the stock folded.

I have famously bad impulse control, but this isn’t one I’d be buying - I really was only curious.
    Ken

Name:  71709675138__5415E0EA-8061-45F6-A770-ABEC97D494B4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.5 KB

I bought a FM15 upper. I need to get it to the range to see how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Name:  71709675138__5415E0EA-8061-45F6-A770-ABEC97D494B4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.5 KB

I bought a FM15 upper. I need to get it to the range to see how it shoots.
    That's oddly weird and oddly attractive at the same time. It's like an M16A2 transgendered into something AKM-like...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks... I think. This is just a fun gun. I was actually looking for a wood buttstock to put on it, but I haven't found anything I want to use. Mostly, I am just putting parts I have laying around to do this.

I am going to put a can on it and either run it with a old aimpoint or just some irons.

I am recovering from surgery so there is a lot of down time to think of crazy ideas.

User Tag List