Page 1 of 206 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Let's talk PDW's

Split off from a comment I made in the Long Gun photo thread HERE.

I've never really considered having a "truck gun", or put much thought into having a rifle "along for the ride" outside of the house. The thought has crossed my mind to take a long gun when we go venturing by vehicle into the remote(ish) areas of our local national forest, but I've not cared for the thought of throwing a 16" AR in the back of the 4Runner for whatever reason.

That being said, the current climate inspired a spontaneous purchase of a DDM4 PDW for just that reason. It's likely totally unnecessary, but since buying it, I've actually taken to the overall concept of a PDW. It's definitely a different tool in the tool box.

Anyway, any other PDW or similar users? General discussion of the concept welcome.

The camera on my iPhone took a dump after five years, so I'm at the mercy of friends and their camera phones. This is all I have at the moment.

DDM4 PDW
    Aimpoint T2 in Larue LT751
    Q Cherry Bomb muzzle device
    SiCo Omega + Q Plan B

Still working out what I want to do about a light, as I'll likely just start using this for HD due to compact size.

Site Supporter
    Rather than build from scratch- I added LAW folders to two 5.56 carbines for this purpose. One 16 inch lightweight pencil upper and one 14.5 pinned to 16 CHF PSA upper. The LAW folder adds weight but really shortens overall length when folded. I used a Magpul fixed carbine stock for one of theses lowers - that seems just right with added length from LAW.

I know, 9mm will get me killed on the streets...

Name:  606AB158-9169-41D3-8D7E-5383FBE1928C.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  57.5 KB
    #RESIST

Based loosely on advice from a friend who works in executive protection, I put together a 300 BLK pistol PDW for protecting my VIPs (family) while traveling by car. I can think of a few scenarios where a handgun wouldn't be enough. E.g. Armed thug roadblock, Katrina level civil unrest, etc. Since I wanted a very compact pistol length gun, I broke my general policy of avoiding adding more calibers to my arsenal. A 7.5" gun in 5.56 just doesn't make sense. But in 300 BLK, it works really well. This gun fits in a tennis racket case.

Palmetto "multi" pistol lower, Doublestar Strongarm brace, H3 buffer, Geissele ambi safety. The DS brace is aluminum, very solid, and is the most compact non-collapsing brace I could find.
    Palmetto 7.5" 300 BLK upper, BCM BCG & CH, ALG 8" V0X Rail, TLR7, Trijicon MRO on Geissele lower 1/3 mount. (The upper came with a crappy MLok rail that I immediately scrapped.)

Lancer 20 round and Magpul 30 round 300BLK specific mags. (Note that I have verified that my 300BLK loads will not chamber in my 5.56 uppers.)
    Barnes 110gr TAC-TX

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

My trunk buddy:

Attachment 50795

It’s been 100% reliable with about 800 rounds in. It fits nicely in a bag alongside the spare tire under the parcel deck of my CR-V. I’ve avoided .300 BLK up until now, I may reassess that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Not going to lie, this has been ridding shotgun with me a lot lately. Easy to break down to stow in a backpack. Other than the weight, it is handier in a car than my 11.5 AR pistol. Name:  87181961_10157714042235731_8041627238652706816_n.jpg
Views: 5467
Size:  99.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I know, 9mm will get me killed on the streets...
    I almost went with the Scorpion EVO, but I don't have a suppressor for it. Still on my wantsies list. Thinking it fills the "PDW" role here though.

It seems like a good idea to have something more effective when traveling. Not necessarily for quick draw but to have available should bad things develop along Life’s path. I live in a state with Constitutional Carry but DNR law frowns on loaded long guns or weapon mounted lights. It also wouldn’t be unheard of to have a shooting competition just happen amongst my family and friends.

I built what I wanted in 5.56mm. Aero M4e1 lower & lpk, ALG ACT fcg, H2 buffer, Gearhead Works brace, Ballistic Advantage upper with 10.5” barrel and BA BCG. It currently has a SIG Romeo 4DR instead of the pictured Venom. It rides in a 5.11 SBR sling bag. For security I have a length of heavy plastic coated SS cable with loops crimped on each end. One end looped around a seat stanchion, the other feeds through the guns magazine well with the bolt locked back. A padlock goes on the end to lock it to the truck if I plan on being away for any length of time.

The bag holds three 30 round magazines, a HSG double Taco with an extra magazine for my EDC pistol, 100 rounds of 5.56 target ammo, sweater, gloves, scarf and knit cap.

Name:  E5C22BCC-2EB1-4CDE-93E3-3C2FF301D216.jpg
Views: 5164
Size:  50.2 KB

Have things changed where the 300 BO does anything better than a short barrel 7.62x39?

I have a 7.62x39 PWS SBR that I haven't touched in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Based loosely on advice from a friend who works in executive protection, I put together a 300 BLK pistol PDW for protecting my VIPs (family) while traveling by car. I can think of a few scenarios where a handgun wouldn't be enough. E.g. Armed thug roadblock, Katrina level civil unrest, etc. Since I wanted a very compact pistol length gun, I broke my general policy of avoiding adding more calibers to my arsenal. A 7.5" gun in 5.56 just doesn't make sense. But in 300 BLK, it works really well. This gun fits in a tennis racket case.

Palmetto "multi" pistol lower, Doublestar Strongarm brace, H3 buffer, Geissele ambi safety. The DS brace is aluminum, very solid, and is the most compact non-collapsing brace I could find.
    Palmetto 7.5" 300 BLK upper, BCM BCG & CH, ALG 8" V0X Rail, TLR7, Trijicon MRO on Geissele lower 1/3 mount. (The upper came with a crappy MLok rail that I immediately scrapped.)

Lancer 20 round and Magpul 30 round 300BLK specific mags. (Note that I have verified that my 300BLK loads will not chamber in my 5.56 uppers.)
    Barnes 110gr TAC-TX

Nice looking setup!

What kind of muzzle device is that, or is it a suppressor?

thanks
    cc

User Tag List