Page 21 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I don't know if it's because I'm an oddball, but the B&T USW SBR with folding stock seems to make a fair bit of sense as a super compact PDW.
    One that would easily tote in a small messenger bag.

Of course, I don't have the kind of coin to spend on it or the SBR paperwork.
    Shooter at a nearby USPSA club shoots one in PCC, and does surprisingly well with it.

Anyone shot a TP9 with a brace? APC9 Pro shoots great.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shooter at a nearby USPSA club shoots one in PCC, and does surprisingly well with it.

Anyone shot a TP9 with a brace? APC9 Pro shoots great.
    Yes, it's a very nice little package. I like the clean little folder setup.

Although it suddenly occurs to me that "brace" might mean something specific in a US context... I have only shot them with the factory folder.

Site Supporter
    I've been obsessed with finding a PDW for years, but everything seems to have some flaw/s that keep me away. I'm not as accomplished a shooter as most of you, and some of these observations are just from handling the following firearms, so take it for what it's worth.

- Uzi Pro - handled one several times in a local gun shop - Mags were really cheap direct from IWI last time I checked. Ergos felt much worse compared to the Micro Uzi that I remember handling in the past. Feels clunky and unbalanced, safety is hard to reach, horrible trigger (I'm not a trigger snob, either), the grip safety isn't as easy to depress as it should be, and the ridges next to the grip safety are sharp or pinch the web of your hand.

- full size/mini Uzi - owned a full size Vector, handled mini several times - The full size felt surprisingly nimble for its weight, but it's pretty heavy. The mini felt great and I wish IWI made an improved modern version unlike the Pro. Optic and light mounting options are clunky.

- Masterpiece Arms MPA30DMG - owned one for a short while - Decent ergos, takes Glock mags, but the safety isn't easy to reach and has a long throw, and awful trigger slap. The trigger developed to combat this is only reliable for a couple thousand rounds, IIRC

- PS90 - handled my neighbor's suppressed SBR - feels great to me, decent trigger, but ammo availability and terminal ballistics seem to require more rounds dumped into the target to provide a stop

- Scorpion - handled multiple times - doesn't really click with me, direct blowback, big for caliber, did the cracked mag lip issue get fixed?

- MPXK - too many reported issues online and among friends (gen 1 and 2) for me to trust their reliability

- Sig MCX or Rattler - I'm still on the fence about these. AR ergos with folding stocks are great, but again Sig reliability comes into question.

- HK MP5K clone - I need to revisit these since the recent optic mounting options and aftermarket accessories are breathing new life into it, but the mags are pricey and I'd love LRBHO.

- AR9 - owned a 5" pistol build - Great AR ergos, but didn't like the direct blowback. This used Colt mags and had a pistol buffer tube. Newer lowers that dependably accept Glock mags and allow braces led me to...

- CMMG Guard - currently own 8" 9mm build - Same great AR ergos, takes Glock mags, but CMMG's Radial Delayed Blowback is tunable and super smooth with or without a suppressor. It's still big for the caliber, so I'm selling the Glock version and building a new one on a standard lower and using the CMMG ARC magazine adapters to keep it as a low-ammo-cost/pistol-caliber-range-only trainer. The 10mm version would tempt me if higher capacity mags were produced other than the ridiculously long KRISS ones.

- B&T TP9 - handled multiple times - In my mind the perfect PDW size, and the TP9N has a better safety and foregrip integration vs. the older models. Trigger doesn't feel too bad, but the charging handle feels like it's going to break, expensive mags, and you can only use the B&T suppressor on it. Also it's double the price of...

- Sig M17 in a B&T USW grip module - haven't handled the USW module, seriously considering one - ~$1200 altogether with a tax stamp, common and reasonably priced mags. The P320's trigger seems too light as a carry gun for me, and the grip angle feels too vertical, but with the decent thumb safety on the M17 it all seems to lend itself to a PDW. Again, there's that question of Sig QC. I've had a few guys in my local Facebook group post about cracked frames after 2000 rounds. I don't like the Glock version because it uses the rail like

Each time I go over the pros and cons of each, only the Sig offerings and maybe a PTR MP5K clone still tempt me. Adding an RMR to my Glocks a year ago really lessened that desire since it closed the performance gap somewhat while being much more discreet and always available. For now my PDW money is going into night vision since I got a great deal on NVGs and they offer capabilities that no other firearm offers.
    Last edited by 757_Magnum; 03-31-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Is the velocity in that 3rd picture correct? 2634 from an 8” barrel? It definitely does’t match the link, which was about 2040 FPS.
    I forgot to label it. That's 50gr TSX, not featured in the other links.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

So has anyone wrung a Rattler out?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    So has anyone wrung a Rattler out?
    I think @Sensei might have one.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Went to the B&T site to look at the TP9 and found this... they are marketing a "PDW" version of their APC556.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5l...3TY98YgJVe5Pb0

https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/bt-apc...45-mm-bt-36063

No idea when/if a semi-only, US import version will arrive. My agency blocks the B&T USA site, but not the oveseas one... lol

Site Supporter
    If I need something smaller than my M4orgery with a LAW folder - I still like my MPX SBR with 4.5 barrel and TiRant9. Other than barrel change - mine is OEM and I have no issues with it. In fact, I was embarrassed at how dirty it was and still running when I cleaned it to swap the 8 inch barrel for the 4.5 inch. I know the CMore is not "Ninja" but it is fast and on hand - after I installed it had no desire to remove.

Name:  MPX_Tirant.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  69.0 KB

What's the current consensus on the MPX?

GTG now, or still issues?

cc

User Tag List