Page 17 of 206 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    So there's hope for you yet @RevolverRob
    Since PCC is the new hotness for teenagers - I doubt very seriously I could best them.

Hell, I’m still confused if you go on the beep or you go when the RO starts yelling, “What the fuck? Are you having a stroke?!”

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since PCC is the new hotness for teenagers - I doubt very seriously I could best them.

Hell, I’m still confused if you go on the beep or you go when the RO starts yelling, “What the fuck? Are you having a stroke?!”
    The most important thing is when someone asks you to paste targets instead of looking at your phone, you need to roll your eyes and say "whatever."
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Do you have reference material for this claim?

I've cited at least three rounds that will still expand from a 7.5" AR15.
    Doc KGR talking about the limitations of SBRs beyond 100yrds, but these are 10.3”+ guns from the link, so I think you can infer that the shorter barrels would be even worse.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-mm-Duty-Loads

Here is one link on the overall effectiveness of 5.7

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-20918.html

I’m drawing a conclusion that since the bullet fired from a 7” barrel 556 is the same velocity as a 5.7, that it won’t be much better. The bullet is at the bottom end of the envelope for which it was designed. It’s additional mass and the ability of some bullets to still expand at that velocity do give it an advantage over 5.7 at close range.

300 blk has the same problem when using bullets originally designed for something like a 308. Thankfully better stuff has come along, like the TSX.

The rounds you mentioned should still expand, but like I said earlier, it will be at a fairly short distance, which will be good enough for use inside a house. But maybe not the best choice, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    My PDW is a .300 Blackout.

If you've had bad performance from a 5.56 in a 7.5" barrel, that's fine.

If you think 5.56 loads can't perform at 1500fps, that's fine too.
    I’m just going to stick with 10.3+ for 5.56 and anything shorter 300 blk.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I’m just going to stick with 10.3+ for 5.56 and anything shorter 300 blk.
    OK.

I use the tail hook on the factory CZ “stock”, the kit from gear head. It works great, much better than the rubber braces.
    Same. As I refer to them, rubber chicken and Velcro braces.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    So there's hope for you yet @RevolverRob
    Burn!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Do you have reference material for this claim?

I've cited at least three rounds that will still expand from a 7.5" AR15.
    I’d be curious to see if anyone has tested them in calibrated gel in those bbl lengths. Even if the bullets are able to expand that’s only part of what we need. If they don’t give us 12 - 18 inches of penetration then it’s still a significant compromise.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, you can still get a 10.5 down pretty small, even if you don't like to go any shorter.

Name:  IMG_20200330_140346.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  57.2 KB

I used to call that my "commuter gun" since it fit diagonally in my messenger bag.

Doc KGR talking about the limitations of SBRs beyond 100yrds, but these are 10.3”+ guns from the link, so I think you can infer that the shorter barrels would be even worse.
    I'm not asking about 5.7, I'm very familiar.

So you're taking data about performance of 10.3" past 100 yards and using that to make sweeping statements that 7.5" will only make icepick wounds?

The 7.5" will have a shorter effective range than 10.3", but it still has an effective range. The 10.3" has a shorter effective range than 11.5". The 11.5" has shorter range than 12.5". The 12.5" has a shorter effective range than 14.5". The 14.5" has a shorter effective range than 16".

If I made the statement, "Well, 14.5" will only make icepick wounds because 16" falls off after XXX yards", would that compute? No, that's not a universal truth even though there are limitations to bullet types and the range at which they'll perform. Neither would it make sense when there are loads that will travel fast enough out of a 7.5" to still perform, even if it's a shorter range. If you select the right load, that range is still farther than the average defensive use that anyone could imagine employing one of these PDWs they're driving around their car with during the coronapocolypse.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-30-2020 at 07:11 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List