Page 30 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Here is the solution that fits my needs. Top to bottom: MCX 9” 300Blk SBR, AAC 8” 300Blk SBR, 14.5” pin/weld AR-15 5.56 carried in a bag disassembled for comparison.

Name:  D79DBA34-5B7A-4048-B558-D79D88602E06.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  08F642C1-5249-43E5-ACDA-7ADDC6D35D75.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  69.0 KB

Of note, the cheek weld on the MCX is lousy, hence the duct tape and pipe wrap cheek pad. I like the Magpul K2+ grip in a short AR, and I like 45 degree ambi safety levers. The MCX barrel is shorter than the hand guard (tough to see), so if I were to fire it without a can, I’m not sure if it would hurt the hand guard or not. I only fire it with a can installed. I like the Hornady 110Vmax for defense, but also have 220 subs for reasons. Unsuppressed 14.5” 5.56 with a brake is obnoxious compared to unsuppressed 300Blk. They are both quite civilized with cans.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty much everything from PSA is like that. Whatever you buy from them may work, but it also may not, especially right now since they’ve admitted to hiring people with zero experience to keep up with demand. I’d take the gamble on a complete lower from them before I do it on an upper since the former is harder to screw up.

I’m seriously debating a MK18 now, which I never cared about before. I just got an 11.5 MLOK upper and now after this thread I kind of want the shortest one I’d trust which would be the MK18 that brownells has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't like the RISII rail system, personally. It's oddly wide, to the point that I feel like it breaks my grip. I would refrain from buying it unless you're totally okay with eating the cost of replacing the rail right off the bat...

I'm pretty sure we put the smaller diameter (and lighter) DDM4 quadrails on our guns at work. Don't have any on hand to verify, as my last assignment and all the assignments my buddies are in all still have the older Mod 0 CQBRs in service. I have one buddy who does have the newer Mod 1'ish setup, but he's away and can't read off the P/N on the rail until next week.

You won't notice the 1" difference unless you're trying to stuff it in commonly available laptop sized backpacks with a LAW folder. Then it actually starts to matter, as a 10.3" will barely fold into a VertX Gamut, which is usually an inch or two taller than most laptop bags to begin with. As ridiculous as it sounds, that extra inch really starts limiting your bag choices (if you're cool with Eberlestock or Sneaky Bags, then it's not a problem).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few pages back, there was a question on what light. This is a TLR-8. It works as a hand stop and a 500 lumen light, although I have the laser turned off because of the offset. You can unscrew the bezel slightly, deactivating the light, so I t doesn’t come on in a bag. Very small footprint. On the B&T application, I prefer the original switching to the new “A-flex.”
    My interest is piqued, is the switch on the TLR-8 really easy to have a light and with like the TLR-1?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My interest is piqued, is the switch on the TLR-8 really easy to have a light and with like the TLR-1?
    The 7/8 and 7A/8A have different switching. The A switching is better for a pistol, but I like the original “pre A” smaller switches better on a carbine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Since you already have the 11.5" upper, I would just stick with that. Unless of course you have an actual reason why you need 1" less barrel length for transportation/concealment purposes or something like that.

The post 2017 DD MK18s with the Crane spec gas port really are a dream to shoot in comparison with, well, almost any other 10.3/10.5" upper. Prior to that, the ones with the blown out gas port were gassy AF, even with lower powered ammo like 55 grain PMC Bronze.

Unless of course you're just wanting an excuse to get a MK18 upper, which is totally cool and I have no problem being an enabler.
    The MK18 would be in addition to, not in place of the 11.5. I’m not necessarily tied to the MK18 itself, but I do want a shorty quad rail upper for unknown reasons. I was planning on a BCM 11.5 with their QRF, but now that I have an 11.5 I kind of want something shorter but won’t drop below 10.3.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't like the RISII rail system, personally. It's oddly wide, to the point that I feel like it breaks my grip. I would refrain from buying it unless you're totally okay with eating the cost of replacing the rail right off the bat...

I'm pretty sure we put the smaller diameter (and lighter) DDM4 quadrails on our guns at work. Don't have any on hand to verify, as my last assignment and all the assignments my buddies are in all still have the older Mod 0 CQBRs in service. I have one buddy who does have the newer Mod 1'ish setup, but he's away and can't read off the P/N on the rail until next week.

You won't notice the 1" difference unless you're trying to stuff it in commonly available laptop sized backpacks with a LAW folder. Then it actually starts to matter, as a 10.3" will barely fold into a VertX Gamut, which is usually an inch or two taller than most laptop bags to begin with. As ridiculous as it sounds, that extra inch really starts limiting your bag choices (if you're cool with Eberlestock or Sneaky Bags, then it's not a problem).
    Interesting, I think you’re the first person I’ve seen that didn’t like the RIS II. I’ve only messed with them briefly and we’re not going into work so I can’t mess with the ones there unfortunately. The other quad rail I was considering was the C4, but I had one on an upper and it felt pretty bulky because of how low the bottom rail is.

I would very likely put a LAW on this for bag use. I don’t have anything super compact and easily transportable so that’s the role this would fill. My 11.5 has the A5 system so it’s already slightly longer than a standard one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that SMGs are more reliable with SMG mags (double stack, double feed) but I see that most of the members with B&T guns seem to prefer the Glock compatible lowers so they can use their Glock mags. Do SMG style magazines only make a reliability difference with the select fire guns? Is an APC9 running on Glock mags as reliable as one running on B&T mags?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

The 7/8 and 7A/8A have different switching. The A switching is better for a pistol, but I like the original “pre A” smaller switches better on a carbine.
    Same here. I put my TLR-7 at the 1:30 position on my rail, and can easily activate it with my thumb. I used a low-profile Pic rail section, so the light remains very compact.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    My understanding is that SMGs are more reliable with SMG mags (double stack, double feed) but I see that most of the members with B&T guns seem to prefer the Glock compatible lowers so they can use their Glock mags. Do SMG style magazines only make a reliability difference with the select fire guns? Is an APC9 running on Glock mags as reliable as one running on B&T mags?
    I don’t know anyone that has shot the Glock and regular APC9 Pro enough to have meaningful data. I bought the Glock one because of magazine availability, compatibility with Glock handguns, and the Glock versions being scarcer. I figured that I can always buy a B&T lower for their mags for $400.

It stands to reason that a version with dedicated magazines should theoretically be more reliable, but then you have to balance a dedicated magazine against decades of Glock magazine development. With the B&T .45, for example, I heard of reliability issues related to magazine springs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It stands to reason that a version with dedicated magazines should theoretically be more reliable, but then you have to balance a dedicated magazine against decades of Glock magazine development.
    The mags used in the APC9 and MP9 have been around since the late 80s/early 90s.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

What's the go to aftermarket CZ Scopion Evo safety to buy?
    #RESIST

User Tag List