Page 205 of 206 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2052

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    So, I've been kicking this around for a while now. I have an FM9 braced pistol that is 100% reliable, and accurate enough for me to, on demand, place FAST hits on 6" steel out to 100 yards with 147gr JHP.

BUT, the upcoming brace ban is a problem. For whatever reason, I just plain don't want to stamp anything. So I tried the whole "cheek pistol" thing with both the bare buffer tube, and a Strike Industries shorty. Neither works well enough to meet the current performance of the braced pistol. Tried the tight sling press out that we used to use for "CWB" with our MP5KNs - again fine for 25 yards and in, but, FOR ME, slower and less accurate than just shooting a handgun. Past 25 yards, I'm MUCH better with a traditional handgun than the "sling" method, and the technique needed to make the "cheek" pistol work is just weird enough that I don't see me doing it under stress.

So, at this point, I think that the Administration's plan to make the world safe again is going to see me transition from my under-the-bed gun being a 5" barrel 9mm to a 16" barreled 5.56.

Though, I have thought about picking up a 8ish inch 300 BO pistol now, with an eye towards stamping it when the rule is finalized. That idea sticks in my craw, but it might be the best solution. If I'm going to jump through the hoops, I might as well get a can as well, and run the thing suppressed...
    I’ve been slowly transitioning several of my braced pistols to SBRs, and figure I’ll do the bare RE cheekweld (for ARs) or single point sling option (for ones without REs) for the ones that remain pistols. This means I’ll have a few that can travel or be legal for loaded transport under my CHL.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    So, I've been kicking this around for a while now. I have an FM9 braced pistol that is 100% reliable, and accurate enough for me to, on demand, place FAST hits on 6" steel out to 100 yards with 147gr JHP.

BUT, the upcoming brace ban is a problem. For whatever reason, I just plain don't want to stamp anything. So I tried the whole "cheek pistol" thing with both the bare buffer tube, and a Strike Industries shorty. Neither works well enough to meet the current performance of the braced pistol. Tried the tight sling press out that we used to use for "CWB" with our MP5KNs - again fine for 25 yards and in, but, FOR ME, slower and less accurate than just shooting a handgun. Past 25 yards, I'm MUCH better with a traditional handgun than the "sling" method, and the technique needed to make the "cheek" pistol work is just weird enough that I don't see me doing it under stress.

So, at this point, I think that the Administration's plan to make the world safe again is going to see me transition from my under-the-bed gun being a 5" barrel 9mm to a 16" barreled 5.56.

Though, I have thought about picking up a 8ish inch 300 BO pistol now, with an eye towards stamping it when the rule is finalized. That idea sticks in my craw, but it might be the best solution. If I'm going to jump through the hoops, I might as well get a can as well, and run the thing suppressed...
    An A5 length and receiver extension (only for reliability and better recoil impulse of course) and one of the new higher mounts might be worth an experiment before you ditch the pistol concept entirely. It’s something I’m playing with dry, but haven’t shot live yet as my backup plan for a brace ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    An A5 length and receiver extension (only for reliability and better recoil impulse of course) and one of the new higher mounts might be worth an experiment before you ditch the pistol concept entirely. It’s something I’m playing with dry, but haven’t shot live yet as my backup plan for a brace ban.
    I found the cheek mount to be super "do-able" in dry fire and in-house LARPing, but when I tried live fire, I found the recoil control to be dramatically lacking. Again, probably me using bad technique, but I just couldn't lock it in enough to allow fast or accurate shooting compared to a brace, um, braced...

Why not just SBR the FM9 and get a suppressor for it if you’re considering getting a separate .300blk pisto and SBRing it and getting a suppressor? It sounds like you really like the gun and get great performance out if it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Took the plunge

I’ve been browsing these threads and looking online for deals on a .300 BLK pistol. I stopped by a local store to pick up a VFG and walked out with this BRN 180s. It was already kitted out with the Tailhook for $1,200, which was considerably less than the other piston alternatives I’ve been checking out. I’ll add a range report next week for those who are interested.

Name:  B27CF33E-75E5-46AE-A0DA-C70095F32476.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  105.3 KB

I was watching a presscheck Q&A video last week where someone asked if Chuck could get SOLGW to make a 6 or 7in upper/full gun in 300 Blackout. He said that he asked for that at one point and Mike believed that sub 9inch DI guns were finicky with ammo and he didn't want to go there. I am not sure specifically what that means - perhaps wouldn't be 100% reliable with both supers and subs? Anyway another data point for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The current model Stribog (SP9A1 gen 2) charging handles don’t reciprocate. There is a third generation version (SP9A3 I believe) that uses a roller-delayed blowback action which has been approved for importation by the ATF recently. No word on when it will make its way stateside. @BigT described shooting one of the roller-delayed guns as like shooting a very loud airsoft gun. MSRP will be about $1000.
    You're probably aware, but the SP9A3 has landed, as well as the SP9A3G version which takes Glock mags. The charging handle does not reciprocate, and the pistol version can be run very well from the cheekweld in the style of Demonstrated Concepts/Rhett Neumeyer's "CheekPistol."

https://rumble.com/v1kmizv-20-yard-w...-cheekbog.html
    - The Tacticallopath

Quote Originally Posted by the_tacticallopath View Post
    You're probably aware, but the SP9A3 has landed, as well as the SP9A3G version which takes Glock mags. The charging handle does not reciprocate, and the pistol version can be run very well from the cheekweld in the style of Demonstrated Concepts/Rhett Neumeyer's "CheekPistol."

https://rumble.com/v1kmizv-20-yard-w...-cheekbog.html
    I think all of Rhett’s cheek stuff (pistol, shotgun, etc) is really neat. Do you know if the SP9A3s are still having reliability issues?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I think all of Rhett’s cheek stuff (pistol, shotgun, etc) is really neat. Do you know if the SP9A3s are still having reliability issues?
    My understanding is that their newer curved mags solved a lot of the reliability issues. Mine is the A3G so it's Glock mags anyways. The only reliability issue I'm seeing so far with mine, having not even 200 rounds through it yet, is that it doesn't always lock back after the last round.
    - The Tacticallopath

Site Supporter
    For those of you who prefer a compact light mounted at 12 o'clock, Modlite just announced a new model, the PDW350. It's basically their pistol light that allows you to choose between a push button tail cap or the option of a tape switch.

User Tag List