Page 46 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    And how did you secure it?
    It comes with a heavy steel cable loop that bolts into the body of the safe. I just looped it around the frame beneath the back seat. It will prevent a quick smash and grab, but if you have a good saw and enough time you could cut it. I am pretty pleased with this setup. It could be bolted in as well, but I have not done that.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    It comes with a heavy steel cable loop that bolts into the body of the safe. I just looped it around the frame beneath the back seat. It will prevent a quick smash and grab, but if you have a good saw and enough time you could cut it. I am pretty pleased with this setup. It could be bolted in as well, but I have not done that.
    I would put some serious effort into getting that done the next day you have off. Thinking about accidents in particular, and that those steel cables are usually pretty easy to break when outside force is applied.

I've seen belted people ejected out the rear of a vehicle. I personally would not rely on that singular steel cable.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    As mentioned above, I plan to use a tennis racquet bag as my discreet vehicle carry with suppressor attached. I think using the racquet bag can remove the mystery of "wonder what's inside that bag?" for potential onlookers, and it also prevents me from running out and dropping more money on yet another bag.

Fits with room to spare. Padded, with full length zipper allows for easy deployment. Generous side pocket to fill with mags/sling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    All you need to do is loop a pair of used tennis shoes from the handle and you'll never even get so much as a second look. That is all kinds of awesome.
    A 14.5 BCM with a pinned A2 and plain M4 stock will fit in a tennis racket too. The outer pocket is great for a couple extra 30s.

I was checking out of a hotel one time and was riding the elevator down when a nice older couple got on, I had to carry on a conversation about tennis the entire ride. I’d recommend that if you are going to use one for discreet carry to have a couple responses ready incase anyone was to ask. I’m not sure if I have ever played a game of tennis in my life.

@Bratch all a part of the camouflage. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think there needs to be some sort of limit/working definition. What @JohnO is talking about doing is in no way likened to a PDW. Just because I throw a Mk12 SPR, Obrez, Lupara or Pennsylvania Long Rifle into my car because that's what's legal where I live doesn't make it a PDW.

A PDW should ideally not have an OAL greater than 20" in order to fit into common backpacks that don't look out of place. Core to the concept is the ability to either conceal on your person or discreetly bag it using a commonly sized bag that isn't going to look out of place out in town. Caliber can be pistol, SCHV or rifle and pick the best one for what you're looking to do. A PDW is generally a class of weapon that you can take with when size, weight or concealment concerns would prevent you from bringing a "proper" version of the long gun that you would bring with you if you knew you were getting into a fight and size/weight/concealment isn't a concern.

An M4 is emphatically not a PDW. A broken down M4 is not a PDW. A "SBR" AR15 with a folding stock can be, but is kind of pushing it as shown with my example barely fitting in a VertX Gamut. A sub-10" barrel AR15 is generally what I would consider a PDW if you're looking for a rifle caliber weapon.

An MP5A4 isn't a PDW, but an MP5K is a PDW. A P90 or MP7 is a PDW. A 16" barreled PS90 is emphatically not a PDW.

Does that sort of track? For some people it's because they want a long gun when travelling, or because they don't want to skyline themselves to their neighbors when going to the range, or whatever. It's generally more of a "Want" than a "need" for most private citizens who don't have a professional use, if not a complete range toy, and that's okay. And that, @rob_s, is why you should get one: because you're a goddamned grown man, who lives in America, with a productive job that allows you to buy nice things.....and you want it.

@JohnO, fwiw most of your questions/concerns about terminal ballistics and reliability were discussed earlier in this thread.

Going back a LONG way but IIRC a PDW historically was for tankers, passengers and drivers of trucks, etc. As I remember the category from 80s era army, usually limited mobility was a factor and they all tended to be fairly short range weapons and highly maneuverable. So I think your definition of roughly 20" is on point. Whether they are pistol or rifle caliber is another debate. If you're in a soft skin deuce and half shooting people off the sides from the driver's compartment then a TP9 looks really nice. Getting out of a vehicle in bumper to bumper stalled traffic and engaging people/zombies around cars...maybe out to 100 yards, 300 Blackout sounds better and better.

I guess it all comes down to how you envision your Mobile Apocalypse.

Does anyone make a 300 black piston gun with a true folding stock?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    MCX off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Going back a LONG way but IIRC a PDW historically was for tankers, passengers and drivers of trucks, etc. As I remember the category from 80s era army, usually limited mobility was a factor and they all tended to be fairly short range weapons and highly maneuverable. So I think your definition of roughly 20" is on point. Whether they are pistol or rifle caliber is another debate. If you're in a soft skin deuce and half shooting people off the sides from the driver's compartment then a TP9 looks really nice. Getting out of a vehicle in bumper to bumper stalled traffic and engaging people/zombies around cars...maybe out to 100 yards, 300 Blackout sounds better and better.

I guess it all comes down to how you envision your Mobile Apocalypse.
    Weren't you an armored cav scout or something like that?

Did you have time with the M231 port firing weapons, or were those before your time?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Weren't you an armored cav scout or something like that?

Did you have time with the M231 port firing weapons, or were those before your time?
    Bradley’s were after my time dude and I was an infantryman so no experience with that critter.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I noticed this one the other day. No personal experience

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...apc-300-pistol

User Tag List