Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Mounted RDS on Handguns

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States

Frame Mounted RDS on Handguns

Has anyone switched to revolvers in a quest for a statically mounted RDS? I get great results from my Hämmerli 208S so equipped, but that Laugo Alien gimmick underwhelmed me at the range, its $5,000 price tag notwithstanding.

Pic for attention.

Name:  9317118F-3809-41EC-BAF6-7FE1BB793AC6.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  33.5 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

That's a fun and interesting looking picture, but I would worry about the lifespan of the glass after continous exposure to blast from the barrel/cylinder gap.

The ALG 6-Second Mount and similar designs are ways to get a frame mount on a Glock, but they leave me cold with the extra bulk and uncertainty that I have about relative motion between the frame and slide of the gun. I will note that there's less motion frame-to-slide with my KKM-barreled Gen4 G19s and the stock USP and 80s-era factory Colt 1911s that are the majority of my handgun experience.

I think that Laugo is at least a partial advancement in RDS systems. I don't think that there's any argument that frame-mounted RDS are better for acheiving the very heights of performance than slide-mounted RDS, but new native designs will be necessary to get that to happen. The slide and barrel "under" the stationary sights seems like a straightforward solution, similar to the way a lot of .22s work. The Laugo is just too big and heavy to catch my attention, regardless of its (whew!) high price, and I am generally more suspicious of gas-operated semi-auto pistols than I am of the recoil-operated guns.

I think that we've got a P-F member or two working on sticking dots on DA revolvers. I'm aware of the Weig-a-tinny mount, and I'm sure that there are others.
    https://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Open division guns run frame mounted dots.

The ALG 6SM is a dream to shoot. But as you can see carrying it, never mind concealing it is tough. Makes for a great nightstand gun though.

Presuming you’re looking for a concealed option, shorter slides offer less movement of the dot which is why the G19X, G45, and Sig P320 Carry are popular for optics. There’s a whole thread here on PF about it.
    Ultimately technique will allow a shooter to do fantastic things with a slide mounted RDS. The real problem is the durability of the optic.

I believe whoever cracks the non reciprocating dot on a CCW / Duty pistol code will start the next huge step forward in handgun design. I shot my 1st USPSA type Open gun recently...it’s like having a handheld rifle as far as sight tracking goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    That's a fun and interesting looking picture, but I would worry about the lifespan of the glass after continous exposure to blast from the barrel/cylinder gap.

The ALG 6-Second Mount and similar designs are ways to get a frame mount on a Glock, but they leave me cold with the extra bulk and uncertainty that I have about relative motion between the frame and slide of the gun. I will note that there's less motion frame-to-slide with my KKM-barreled Gen4 G19s and the stock USP and 80s-era factory Colt 1911s that are the majority of my handgun experience.

I think that Laugo is at least a partial advancement in RDS systems. I don't think that there's any argument that frame-mounted RDS are better for acheiving the very heights of performance than slide-mounted RDS, but new native designs will be necessary to get that to happen. The slide and barrel "under" the stationary sights seems like a straightforward solution, similar to the way a lot of .22s work. The Laugo is just too big and heavy to catch my attention, regardless of its (whew!) high price, and I am generally more suspicious of gas-operated semi-auto pistols than I am of the recoil-operated guns.

I think that we've got a P-F member or two working on sticking dots on DA revolvers. I'm aware of the Weig-a-tinny mount, and I'm sure that there are others.
    https://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html
    Here is another. https://www.raptor-eng.com/raptor_sight_mounts_004.htm
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I believe whoever cracks the non reciprocating dot on a CCW / Duty pistol code will start the next huge step forward in handgun design. I shot my 1st USPSA type Open gun recently...it’s like having a handheld rifle as far as sight tracking goes.
    I think we have a better shot at optics getting more durable so they can ride the slide. Fixed dots present other challenges such as how to perform one hand (injured shooter) manipulations. The Laugo Arms Alien is a prime example of that.

Yup, we’re definitely not there yet. That silencerco thing looked pretty good but seemed to die on the vine. I still think someone will figure it out eventually? Probably right before we move to phased plasma blasters...in the 40 watt range.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Yup, we’re definitely not there yet. That silencerco thing looked pretty good but seemed to die on the vine. I still think someone will figure it out eventually? Probably right before we move to phased plasma blasters...in the 40 watt range.
    Agreed on the Silencerco pistol. It made the use of a WML awkward and most folks don’t want to daily carry a stamped pistol I suspect. Plus with the current rules it would be a pain to cross state lines with it. I do love that companies are pushing the envelope and innovation like that is the only way to move forward.

This is somewhat pertinent.

I picked up a Glock 44 today. I'd like to put a red dot on it, but I'm pretty sketch about dovetail mounting the dot -- both from potentially overloading the slide with weight (I assume they made it as light as they did for a reason) and also because I don't really trust the polymer dovetail to hold a dovetail mount.

So I'm looking at frame mounted options. The ALG 6S mount seems to have spotty availability. Is there something decent that would clamp onto the forward rail and give me either a T1/T2 or 1913 interface up top?

User Tag List