Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 Round Revolver Challenge

Id think it would depend on the load. Most factory ammo is pretty clean, same with my jacketed reloads. Cast ammo is dirty and i definitely dont think it would do it

I can’t wrap my brain around firing 2,000 rounds thru any handgun without any periodic maintenance. I could see firing 2,000 rounds using your chosen PM / cleaning schedule to test both the weapon AND your abilities to be a gun owner.

Hammertime
    Did this in 2018. Almost made it. Won’t do it again. If I had put locktite on that screw at the beginning it would have made it no sweat.

Pistol: Ruger LCR 9mm

Caliber: 9mm

Ammunition: Wolf 115 grain Mil Spec
    Barnaul 115 grain white box
    Wolf 115 grain poly coat
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    S&B 115 grain FMJ SB9A
    S&B 124 grain FMJ SB9B
    Federal HST 147 grain
    American Eagle 147 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 147 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ
    Winchester Ranger T +P 124 grain
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 124 grain FMJ

Dates of testing: 8/2018

Total rounds fired: 2015

Stoppages: 5 light strikes on steel ammo, 1 light strike Speer Lawman 115 grain. All fired second strike.

Malfunctions: On round 1985 this happened:

First the pivot pin fell out, then the cylinder release fell out. The gun still fired the last cylinder but I needed some tools to get the release and pin back in to open it. Took about 5 minutes to figure it out. Fired the last 30 rounds uneventfully.

Breakages: 0

It is a great, reliable revolver. I abused this gun heavily. Many times the cylinder was too hot to handle on reloads. Nearly perfect reliability. If I had checked screws for looseness more often it would have been a perfect run. It didn’t like Russian steel case but had no difficulty lighting off really hard S&B primers. I am unsure why it had a problem with the 115 grain Speer round, but that is the same ammo that gave my Langdon LTT 92 some fits.

I am unaware of any attempted 2k challenges with a revolver and had previously thought revolvers to be a bit fragile. My thoughts have been changed by this gun.

I found it to be extremely accurate when I did my part (which was not easy) and capable of printing 3-4" groups at 25 yards.

I am unsure what to do with it, as it does not really fit a carry niche for me and it is unpleasant to shoot. Thinking about getting a larger grip for it. But is is absolutely reliable.

Pros: Great ballistics, great reliability, light weight, reliable extraction and relatively quick reloads with moon clips
    Cons: Snappy recoil, difficult but not impossible to shoot well, kinda big and possibly a little heavy for the pocket, low capacity.

And this is done, because it’s bubble gum level forum stuff. Never made to be shot 2000 rounds without cleaning, lubrication or maintenance and nobody with any level of sense would advocate for it. I have bunches of revolvers that have well over 2000 rounds through them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List