Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swartz passive firing pin safety issues: be informed

Swartz passive firing pin safety issues: be informed

I just received an email from Ned Christiansen regarding the Swartz passive firing pin system (found primarily in Kimber Series II 1911s and, I think S&W and SIG 1911s of the past). It's something that I was mostly aware of (not the misfire part though), but if Ned thought it was serious enough to send it today, I thought it would be of value to all.

Text of e-mail:
    Apologies if I already sent this... but it's important stuff if you own one of these or know someone who does. I want to make sure friends and colleagues have guns that work!

We did these two videos on the Swartz passive firing pin system last summer but I never got around to putting them up. In a 1911 Armorer class two weeks ago, of three Kimbers in class, all three had this condition. In one documented case of this happening an officer was shot in both legs after his Swartz-equipped 1911 did not fire. It's not possible to know if he would have been shot if his pistol had worked properly but unexpected "clicks" are never helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Q...nMcxb-0GRoA1bA

Ned Christiansen

Videos:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    ... Swartz passive firing pin system (found primarily in Kimber Series II 1911s and, I think S&W and SIG 1911s of the past).
    S&W used a different design, though it was also actuated by the grip safety, developed by in-house engineer Richard Mochak ( https://patents.google.com/patent/US6374526B1/en ).

I'm pretty sure SIG has only used the Series 80 firing pin safety in their 1911 pistols (it is what they currently use).

Site Supporter
    The only passive firing pin block I'll tolerate is the Colt series 80 design.

Otherwise it's series 70, a light weight 9mm firing pin and an extra power firing pin spring.

My 1911s have a mainspring strong enough to crack any primer and a lighter mainspring doesn't confer enough benefit for trigger work to warrant the effort like it does in a TDA gun

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The first time I went to shoot my 5 inch alloy kimber I had 3 fail to fire caused by the firing pin block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... the Swartz ...
    I know you spelled it correctly, but most folks don't, and listening to Ned's video I'll leave this...

Swartz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWvQhEP0c8

Oh, and may the schwartz be with you.

Site Supporter
    I just received an email from Ned Christiansen regarding the Swartz passive firing pin system (found primarily in Kimber Series II 1911s and, I think S&W and SIG 1911s of the past). It's something that I was mostly aware of (not the misfire part though), but if Ned thought it was serious enough to send it today, I thought it would be of value to all.

Text of e-mail:
    Apologies if I already sent this... but it's important stuff if you own one of these or know someone who does. I want to make sure friends and colleagues have guns that work!

We did these two videos on the Swartz passive firing pin system last summer but I never got around to putting them up. In a 1911 Armorer class two weeks ago, of three Kimbers in class, all three had this condition. In one documented case of this happening an officer was shot in both legs after his Swartz-equipped 1911 did not fire. It's not possible to know if he would have been shot if his pistol had worked properly but unexpected "clicks" are never helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Q...nMcxb-0GRoA1bA

Ned Christiansen

Videos:

Known issue and why Colt did not adopt this system in the 1930s when it was developed.

Also SIG 1911s use the Colt series 80 system.

The Kimber warrior models are series 70 style and do not use this system either.

I learned something today - I assumed all modern 1911s with firing pin blocks used the Series 80 pattern.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

This has been an issue since the Series IIs first came out. I guess the feeling is that 3 out of 3 failures in the class indicates a new rash of failures?

Regarding Post 6, Kimber Warrior II model does exist.
    If a person wants a Kimber Warrior, but not a Series II, just be careful to not accidentally buy a Warrior II.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/warrior-ca

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Regarding Post 6, Kimber Warrior II model does exist.
    If a person wants a Kimber Warrior, but not a Series II, just be careful to not accidentally buy a Warrior II.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/warrior-ca
    It please to be a necessary evil for sale in CA.

User Tag List