Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Urbanization and CV19

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I wonder if this CV19 pandemic will impact the urbanization trend. We were seeing demographic shifts were more people wanted to live in big cities and that was impacting industries that were in more rural locations.
    The big issue that I saw where I was living was medical care. My old town had two decent hospitals, then one closed. The remaining hospital was more of a MASH unit, in that anything really serious required medevacing to the big city. The hospitals in the outlying areas were "stitch and ship" for anything beyond fractures, normal pregnancies and appendectomies.

From what I've read, there are a lot of rural clinics that heavily rely on telemedicine.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I commute 47 miles each way to NOT live in downtown Atlanta. There are many commuters in Atlanta like me.
    I used to commute 35 miles one way. Did that for 18 years. I'm not sure I could put up with it now because traffic has become a nightmare. Used to be a 45 minute commute but now I understand it's about an hour on a good day. My agency now lets people work a 4 day (10 hours day) just to drop a day off of peoples commute. We have some of the worst traffic in the nation with the Boeing plant in the same city where I worked.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    There is huge urban areas, smaller urban, suburban, rural, and really rural. I watched Governor Cuomo talk about why NYC is so heavily impacted by a pandemic and every word he said was a reason not to live large urban areas for me - I am biased though. I live far enough away from Atlanta to be a rural suburb and we have excellent medical care. If I need something really specific, I can go into Atlanta

There is huge urban areas, smaller urban, suburban, rural, and really rural. I watched Governor Cuomo talk about why NYC is so heavily impacted by a pandemic and every word he said was a reason not to live large urban areas for me - I am biased though. I live far enough away from Atlanta to be a rural suburb and we have excellent medical care. If I need something really specific, I can go into Atlanta
    Same here. 12 miles to a small town. 35 miles to a really first class regional hospital. Actually, the one of the two hospitals to have a Corvid patient in the US and he survived.

I won’t be mad if property values in our small town go up. Selling a house around here is a multi-year project.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have the option of escaping Denver for Missoula MT...
    I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, but if I had a decent job op in Missoula, I’d be the fuck outta wherever I was living—including where I am—pretty quick. Missoula is incredible if you can make a living/afford to live there. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I used to have a 1-1.5 hour commute, each way.. It was brutal. At first I thought it was manageable, bit over the course of 3-5 years I gained weight, got weak, and generally had declining health. This was in my late 20's. The job had long hours, lots of stress, but was a "career builder" with lots of transferrable experience.

Around 4 years in my marriage started to suffer, my health was pretty terrible for my age. I knew I had to make a change. I switched jobs and bought a new house. Managed to find a half acre about 5 miles from the office. I promised myself I'd use the extra time saved from my short commute to exercise and get strong. 55lbs later I'm dramatically stronger, can run about 10x farther, and easily ruck 4x the weight I used to. Marriage is thriving, life is good.

1/2 acres isn't much compared to some here, but it's enough to not be ontop of your neighbor. I spent literally all day today working in the yard cutting up a tree, splitting wood, burning debris. My neighbors all seem similarly content with their space. My co-workers who are working from their condos or apartments are starting to lose their minds. The first week wasn't bad, but this past week I've seen a their collective spirit decline.

My prediction coming out of this ordeal isn't that people will flee Urban centers(although some especially sense cities will probably see that), but there will a shift in demand from condos and townhomes to single family homes. Pretty much every co-worker I've talked to this past week has mentioned his or her envy of having a small piece of land to call their own.

For me and my job going rural isn't an option. No amount of tech will make that feasible. Whenever we end up moving again I can guarantee I won't buy less land. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, but if I had a decent job op in Missoula, I’d be the fuck outta wherever I was living—including where I am—pretty quick. Missoula is incredible if you can make a living/afford to live there. JMO.
    Good fly fishing. Adds years to your life.

https://www.bigskyfishing.com/rivers...na/rock-creek/

Like any other tragedy or crisis, people with a strong opinion but weak justification for same are going to look to use the situation to try and bolster their stance. I expect the urban-hates to come out in force on this one, right up until their wife and kids are sick and they have to drive an hour to some borderline turd-world redneck hospital only to find out that their entire operation amounts to a “band-aid station” that only serves as a rest-stop for people with real health problems before moving on to an actual, urban, hospital on any normal day.

Most people have not one fucking clue how their health insurance actually works, what the inside of their nearest hospital actualy looks like, who the people that work their actually are, the quality of those people, etc.

https://apple.news/AhgUkq6gdRvS38aaGIjCClA

https://apple.news/AzJFq7u5AQWiCTd-JrLSiWA

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Only problem is that it would be to live with the GF's mom, who is a RN. Not excited about the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I used to have a 1-1.5 hour commute, each way.. It was brutal. At first I thought it was manageable, bit over the course of 3-5 years I gained weight, got weak, and generally had declining health. This was in my late 20's. The job had long hours, lots of stress, but was a "career builder" with lots of transferrable experience.

Around 4 years in my marriage started to suffer, my health was pretty terrible for my age. I knew I had to make a change. I switched jobs and bought a new house. Managed to find a half acre about 5 miles from the office. I promised myself I'd use the extra time saved from my short commute to exercise and get strong. 55lbs later I'm dramatically stronger, can run about 10x farther, and easily ruck 4x the weight I used to. Marriage is thriving, life is good.
    ]
    That is my experience with commutes. Mine is (or, soon, was) 30-45 mins each way and I experienced all of the above.

User Tag List