Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Urbanization and CV19

Options are a lot more limited for folks who can’t drive. My mom is in her 80’s still living independently in a rural setting, but we all know — herself included — that she’s approaching the point when she shouldn’t be driving. Where she lives there are no other means of transportation that are realistic for someone her age.
    That means moving somewhere that has public transportation. It doesn’t have to be a major city, but it will have a higher population density than where she is now.
    Independence for elderly rural folks is one benefit I see to self-driving vehicles. Having one as a driverless taxi in a small town could help a lot of folks stay in their homes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Options are a lot more limited for folks who can’t drive. My mom is in her 80’s still living independently in a rural setting, but we all know — herself included — that she’s approaching the point when she shouldn’t be driving. Where she lives there are no other means of transportation that are realistic for someone her age.
    That means moving somewhere that has public transportation. It doesn’t have to be a major city, but it will have a higher population density than where she is now.
    Independence for elderly rural folks is one benefit I see to self-driving vehicles. Having one as a driverless taxi in a small town could help a lot of folks stay in their homes longer.
    Be great for bars and restaurants too. "Home, Jameth"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My wife's parents moved from a rural area to a suburb when they were around 75. That worked out pretty well for them because they were close to her sister. Her dad passed about 5 years ago and her mom lives alone now at 91. She hasn't had a car for about 4 years. She gets a lot of help from a care giver, her daughter and some other family members. I can definitely see the advantages of hospitals, stores and restaurants near by. I can also see some disadvantages when you have a killer virus in the population and riots in your neighborhood. We have some pretty good neighbors and everyone helps if you need something. I never had any neighbors like that when I lived in the city but maybe it was me and not my neighbors. I wasn't home a lot anyway so never did know any of them very well. I got really tired of people trying to sell me something at my front door. I sure as hell don't miss that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List