Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Coronavirus authoritarianism thread

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Now 3G is going away so you may need to upgrade again. The good news is they're making flip phones again. My wife keeps telling me to text her but homies phone don't text.
    I know. Already picked up one, when I found a deal on it.(Alcatel $40) Would have preferred a Nokia as they reintroduced them, but not in this country, yet. Just not going to swap yet, as my carrier has no sunset date for 3G that I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    What, am I the only one who leaves their cell at home when I go out to do hood rat shit under quarantine?
    Real hood rats don't sign no contract, yo.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Since this post contains coronavirus politics, authoritarianism, and general information, I wasn't sure where to put it, but I'll posit it here. Mods please feel free to reassign if/as appropriate:

This is footage from the bridge connecting Hubei province with Jiangxi province. The lockdown on Hubei is being eased this week, and people are officially being allowed to move around, leave the area, and return to work in surrounding areas if they have a "green" health code, which is checked on an official APP everyone is required to have on their phone as part of the programme. It seems that the police from Jiangxi didn't care. They refused to recognize the green code and erected "checkpoints" [barricades] to "screen" [keep out] Hubei people. When the Hubei police went to discuss it and argued for getting things opened up...the Jiangxi police arrested them on the ludicrous charge of being "fake police". Word got around, and it didn't go over very well with the frustrated Hubei people.

Significantly, a number of Hubei police joined with the people and started scuffling with the Jiangxi police, with some even joining the people in flipping over a Jiangxi police van (though some of the Hubei police still look like they are trying to calm the situation down). The groups started chanting, "Go for it/be strong, Hubei!" and "Shame on Jiangxi police!" and rushed the bridge.

Some background here:

There has been a lot of prejudice in China against Hubei people during the epidemic, much worse that what Western media is worried about against Asian people in the US/Canada/UK/Australia, etc. This has lead to a kind of solidarity among Hubei people who felt angry about this, combined with the lack of government response and vigorous cover-ups, especially in the early days of the outbreak. Lots of pent-up negative energy, and much of it is directed at the government. The fact that the Hubei police were joining in shows that they are starting to think of themselves as part of "the people" of Hubei, not agents of the government.

Contrary to what might be expected, most police in China are not scary, brutish agents of government repression in the eyes of the average Chinese person. They are expected to be fairly mild-mannered and not intervene in people's daily lives, as this reinforces the (literal) party line that "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". Think of the old picture of British police helping lost children find their parents, or firefighters rescuing kittens from trees, and that's what the government wants to project for the police. It's way more common to see ordinary Chinese police doing a whole lot of nothing over the course of their day, rather than ferreting out dissidents or snatching people for re-education. There are special departments for that, ruthless and effective but low-key, and the government works hard to keep the popular perception of the police as positive as possible. Consequently, most Chinese people have a positive, supportive view of the police and are not hostile to or afraid of them. For the general population to riot like this and start flipping cars, smashing windows, and shouting down the police shows serious levels of both anger at the government and feeling of being emboldened.

In short, this is exactly the kind of scene that implies a fraying of the established order and a rising sense of popular sentiment. Exactly the kind of thing the government gets really, really nervous about, so it will be interesting to see what the response is (beyond the immediate actions to dismiss and bury the news). I am still worried that the government will effectively capitalize on the outbreak, but events like this give me some hope.

(Also, that is some really poor social distancing going on. As much as I support the idea of going head-on at the government in China, I'm also not sure how I feel about people pouring out of the epicentre of an outbreak, the actual status of which is almost certainly being lied about.)

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So in the middle of the big libertarian circle jerk here, You may have forgotten that there is still a serious threat from a communicable disease that Hass to be dealt with.

Rights are balanced by responsibilities.

Logistics aside, the federal government has both the statutory and constitutional authority to establish and maintain interstate quarantine to prevent the spread of communicable disease. An interstate quarantine falls pretty squarely into that whole interstate commerce thing...
    My comment was totally tongue in cheek and sarcastic. Apologies I conveyed otherwise. Agree 100% that we need to contain the situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Things are either serious, or they ain't.

Restrictions to this point indicate that it ain't.

Every day politicians throw out new verbiage but the reality is that nothing has changed over the past 14 days. Here in Florida certain counties are refusing admittance to certain areas and Desantis is talking checkpoints for any ingress into the state. Which is fucking hilarious when you look into the sky and watch planes landing in FLL and MIA all day, every day.

California can't even keep thousands of homeless from shitting all over their sidewalks. They sure as hell ain't tracking the 1% of people that aren't observing their stupid ass rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    Since this post contains coronavirus politics, authoritarianism, and general information, I wasn't sure where to put it, but I'll posit it here. Mods please feel free to reassign if/as appropriate:

This is footage from the bridge connecting Hubei province with Jiangxi province. The lockdown on Hubei is being eased this week, and people are officially being allowed to move around, leave the area, and return to work in surrounding areas if they have a "green" health code, which is checked on an official APP everyone is required to have on their phone as part of the programme. It seems that the police from Jiangxi didn't care. They refused to recognize the green code and erected "checkpoints" [barricades] to "screen" [keep out] Hubei people. When the Hubei police went to discuss it and argued for getting things opened up...the Jiangxi police arrested them on the ludicrous charge of being "fake police". Word got around, and it didn't go over very well with the frustrated Hubei people.

Significantly, a number of Hubei police joined with the people and started scuffling with the Jiangxi police, with some even joining the people in flipping over a Jiangxi police van (though some of the Hubei police still look like they are trying to calm the situation down). The groups started chanting, "Go for it/be strong, Hubei!" and "Shame on Jiangxi police!" and rushed the bridge.

Some background here:

There has been a lot of prejudice in China against Hubei people during the epidemic, much worse that what Western media is worried about against Asian people in the US/Canada/UK/Australia, etc. This has lead to a kind of solidarity among Hubei people who felt angry about this, combined with the lack of government response and vigorous cover-ups, especially in the early days of the outbreak. Lots of pent-up negative energy, and much of it is directed at the government. The fact that the Hubei police were joining in shows that they are starting to think of themselves as part of "the people" of Hubei, not agents of the government.

Contrary to what might be expected, most police in China are not scary, brutish agents of government repression in the eyes of the average Chinese person. They are expected to be fairly mild-mannered and not intervene in people's daily lives, as this reinforces the (literal) party line that "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". Think of the old picture of British police helping lost children find their parents, or firefighters rescuing kittens from trees, and that's what the government wants to project for the police. It's way more common to see ordinary Chinese police doing a whole lot of nothing over the course of their day, rather than ferreting out dissidents or snatching people for re-education. There are special departments for that, ruthless and effective but low-key, and the government works hard to keep the popular perception of the police as positive as possible. Consequently, most Chinese people have a positive, supportive view of the police and are not hostile to or afraid of them. For the general population to riot like this and start flipping cars, smashing windows, and shouting down the police shows serious levels of both anger at the government and feeling of being emboldened.

In short, this is exactly the kind of scene that implies a fraying of the established order and a rising sense of popular sentiment. Exactly the kind of thing the government gets really, really nervous about, so it will be interesting to see what the response is (beyond the immediate actions to dismiss and bury the news). I am still worried that the government will effectively capitalize on the outbreak, but events like this give me some hope.

(Also, that is some really poor social distancing going on. As much as I support the idea of going head-on at the government in China, I'm also not sure how I feel about people pouring out of the epicentre of an outbreak, the actual status of which is almost certainly being lied about.)
    That's some interesting info.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Faraday cell phone bags suddenly seem interesting

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Wisdo...s%2C177&sr=8-5
    According to Sarah Connor you can just toss your phone into a bag of chips.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So in the middle of the big libertarian circle jerk here, You may have forgotten that there is still a serious threat from a communicable disease that Hass to be dealt with.

Rights are balanced by responsibilities.

Logistics aside, the federal government has both the statutory and constitutional authority to establish and maintain interstate quarantine to prevent the spread of communicable disease. An interstate quarantine falls pretty squarely into that whole interstate commerce thing...
    agreed. Wasn't national emergency declared a week or more ago giving, at least the POTUS, something akin to war powers? If that is the case, the restriction of movement is well under that, still limited, authority.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

My local SO shut down concealed carry applications around 16 MAR and just recently made a post stating that they’d prefer to use education to convince people to follow the shelter in place order, but fines and jail time are possible since it’s a governor’s executive order. I’ve known that was coming, but finally seeing it is still a little shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List