Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Model 10 deal?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Love it. That post reminds me of a "Tactical 2-gun" match that was held in an area I used to frequent. They were adamant that revolvers and leather holsters were unwelcome. Had I not stopped being in that area regularly, I was going to show up with a Garand and a Model 10 in a Galco Combat Master just to prove a point.
    I'm about to digress but this is an old thread on the internet so will regret nothing.

My shotgun was a ghost ring 590 (non-A1) with 8 shot tube. For a rifle, I brought a Marlin Model 9 camp carbine and mostly ran S&W 6906 12-round mags (they have the ;pinkie hook to help yank them out of the magwell versus the flush OEM magazine). While loading mags for the first rifle stage, a shooter asked if I was switching to an autopistol. "Nah, these are for my pistol caliber carbine." While I was knocking over 50-60 yard poppers - which 55 grain .223 sometimes didn't unless hit mid-line up - using the fat iron bead front sight and 124 grain ball, someone asked my buddy if I was running a Ruger.

"No, that's a Marlin."

"Marlin? When did they start making PCCs?"

"Sometime in the '80s through the '90s."

"...There is really nothing new, huh?"

"Nope."

And some shooters were surprised to notice that I was running a pump-action; which they did partway through my first stage. A port load were I kept my support hand on the slide while opening the action and going back forward to close it gave me away. The R.O. complimented my port loads as we cleared my guns and asked if I'd ever tried going over the top to save some time. He nodded a reluctant agreement when I replied that I'd give up a bit of time to have a fumbled shell land back in my palm.

Running a fixed sight DAO K-frame from concealment with pocketed reloads, box stock pump-action reloading from a sidesaddle velcro card thing, and iron sighted PCC (from 50-100 yards) using low capacity magazines also stored in pockets placed me 20/30 shooters combined. I was the only pump shotgun in my squad, maybe one of two or three total; one of two iron sighted rifles in my squad; and one of two revolver shooters total. Only four iron sighted handguns were present in my squad with the rest being fullsize nines with dots and probably 1/3 comped, ported, or sporting a can. Most shotguns had dots, as well.

As a poor stage planning side note, I was the only guy (not counting the one time someone raced me) resetting the 60 yard poppers and sprinted out every time for 480+ yards of intermittent running with a drainage trench jump. The R.O. gave me a hard time for having done it right before my turn, which was in the middle of the stage rotation. Whoops.

Site Supporter
    Absolutely love it. I've had some similar experiences, especially with running pump guns. No more than I shot 3-gun, it didn't seem prudent to drop a bunch of time and money into a VersaMax or Beretta that was gonna sit in the safe 360-362 days a year otherwise. Think I surprised one RO with how I ran it, but when you've been running the same shotgun for 15-16 years you get familiar with it.

Also, the Marlin Camp Carbine has a special place in my heart. It's a damn shame that the TDP couldn't be found to bring it back before Remlin went belly up.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    Here ya go

Attachment 52520
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Nice! Now to hope Singapore surpluses it Taurus 85 duty revolvers to the U.S. market as they transition to polymer-framed autos in the police service. Then I could keep my neighborgood free of the chewing gum scourge. Bonus if I could also score one of the retention holsters and lanyards. A Malaysian/Singaporean duty revolver set scaled to the country sizes would be awesome.

Do we know what these markings mean as to history of its use?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Do we know what these markings mean as to history of its use?
    I've poked around a bit here and there since you asked and have come up with nothing specific beyond "Malaysian police rack numbers", which is a bit of a bummer. And a buddy who lived in Malaysia for a bit doesn't have the vocabulary to help find any Malaysian sources.

User Tag List